Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What was your inspiration? >

What was your inspiration?

What was your inspiration?

Old 01-19-2011, 08:56 AM

My then, soon to be, SIL had a quilt top her GM had hand sewn but was not quilted. My SIL asked my mom if she knew anyone who hand quilted. My mom suggested the church about a mile from our farm. My SIL gave the top to my mom for them to do it. My mom had to mark it first and wasn't quite sure what would look best so she called a lady she knew that taught quilting and art. Being a teenager at the time I did not appreciate being drug over to someones house just to sit and listen to older people talk. Well I ended up sitting in the small living room with a quilt in a frame right in front of me. The lady saw me eyeing it and told me to try it and showed me how. That was kinda fun(!) but I didn't want to ruin it since it was for someone else. Then she brought out several large flip charts, the kind the schools used to use(see Dick and Jane) each with several samples of quilts on each page. Biscuit, cathedral window, yoyo Wow those are kinda neat! This lady was so artistic she even had a wood burned card table she did (running horses). Well mom got her advice and my "flame" was lit. I think my mom almost regretted taking me 'cause all I did then was bug her to start a quilt. She did take me to the church to help quilt my SIL's quilt. All the ladies seemed thrilled to have someone so young learn to quilt but as one of the ladies told me years later they were also afraid they would have to take out if I missed a lot of stitches since mine were so small. They checked everytime and they're still in there! Oops sorry to be so long winded.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:06 AM

My grandmother's quilts.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by bj
One of my best friends got me started.
Ditto:Gave me some books and off I went..
Old 01-19-2011, 09:40 AM

My husband bought me a sewing machine, loved Joann Fabric's and VIOLA! An obession was born!
Old 01-19-2011, 10:07 AM

I sewed for years and in my 30's wanted to re-use old blankets so cut calico fabric into 12" squares and made a top. I used an old sheet for the bottom sewed them together using the blanket as the middle, then tied them with yarn. they were very simple utilitarian quilts.
Then about a year ago I saw a Quick Quilts magazine in the rack while i was waiting in a grocery checkout line. I bought it and spent a thrilling time looking at the gorgeous quilts and fabrics. I knew then that making quilts would become a passion of mine.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:14 AM

My grandmother made me a double wedding ring quilt when I was just a baby. She embroided my name and birth date on it. She used to point to some of the fabrics and tell me where they came from. Although I wanted to quilt myself, I waited until I retired to learn. That first day,someone had to show me how to thread the machine!!! I love piecing but am still not an expert by any means.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:59 AM

my daughter. She got a free quilting lessons from work (in the office of Duck Tape) it was called R&R didnt want to go alone so I was dragged into it. Thought it was stupid to cut up a piece of cloth and sew it back together DA. Now I am so hooked and she has no interest she even takes her pants to someone to hem them. Still love her.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:44 PM

a church member wanted to make blocks as a fundraiser for our church. no one knew much about quilting, so i headed to the library.

p.s. the quilt idea got vetoed, but i took off from there
Old 01-19-2011, 01:03 PM

a friend who knew i sewed gave me a book and asked if i could make this quilt about the same time every one was having babied or grand babied made a few and stoped for a while made porclin dolls had too many of those started thinking about quilting again
Old 01-19-2011, 01:06 PM

I needed to find friends. We moved to a new community and I didn't know anyone, so I looked for way to meet people. Hence, I signed up for quilting classes - NEVER having quilted before. Now I am hooked on quilting and have new friends too. :thumbup: