Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I guess I'm older than I thought >

I guess I'm older than I thought

I guess I'm older than I thought

Old 01-27-2011, 12:27 AM

I was born with back deformities so I have pain most of the time. I have just learned to adapt my life to it.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:43 AM
Power Poster

See your doctor...but yoga does help. I have Lupus as well as Psoriatic Arthritis, the arthritis has affected my left sacro-iliac joint of my left leg. Move the wrong way and I feel a slipping sensation and excruciating pain. It actually cripples me (I sometimes use a stick). My doctor feels the yoga actually helped keep me supple and active. I don't do the same amount as I did when I was younger - but do try and incorporate it in every day.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:41 AM

I was shaving my legs in the bathtub and I moved wrong and my back seized up. I was home with my 19 year old son and I thought I'd have to have him help me out but I managed to do so without him. This has happened about 4 times and it hurts like you wouldn't believe. I have 2 slipped discs and suffer every day. I feel your pain!
Old 01-27-2011, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by AlwaysQuilting
My lower back went into a spasm last night as I bent down to push my slippers off. That's all I did. I wasn't trying to lift anything. It's so tender and stiff this morning that I can hardly get up and down from chairs.
This happened once before around Thanksgiving, and I hadn't picked anything up at that time either.
I've never had back trouble in all my 60 years.
I know being 60 isn't a spring chicken anymore but jeez louise...just bending over is too much?
Now today I can't stand too long to finish cutting out fabric etc.
So I'm kind of a vegetable today.
Has anyone else's lower back done this to them by just bending over?
I've had that problem off and on for a few years. Using an ice pack for 20 minutes on, 20 minutes off really helps to reduce the inflamation that causes the pain. Heat feels good while it's on, but can compound the problem. Unfortunately, staying off of your feet also helps to heal faster.

Take good care of yourself and feel better soon!
Old 01-27-2011, 01:21 PM

Yes, Bent over to pick up a purse on vacation in CA and couldn't stand up. Could be a spasm or disc out of place. Try cold packs to keep swelling and inflammation down ( like chicken soup can't hurt) and see your doctor.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:55 PM

When I was 25 and pregnant with my daughter, my hip popped out of socket and only went back in after she was born. She's 2 now, and I still have issues with my hip and lower back. Only thing that helps me is ice and my acupuncturist.
Old 01-28-2011, 04:58 AM

Hooray! My back is so much better today. I've spent each day since it happened just sitting in my recliner with ice (then heat after 2 days).
I called my doctor and she said hamstring stretches are a good idea.
Someone mentioned it here but I can't remember who.
But thanks for the idea!
I hope if any of you are still hurting, that you'll be painfree soon.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:13 AM

Yep, about 10 years ago out of the blue. I thought I had a kidney stone, it hurt so bad. Went to the emergency room, they took me right in and was just a muscle strain. I had to basically be off my feet for a week but then felt much better and no more trouble. Hope you feel better soon!
Old 01-29-2011, 07:02 AM

Yes Ma'am, I'm 40 now. My first back issue like yours came at 10yrs of age. Had it 3 times since and have it right now. Sure does make you want to cry. Never give up and never give in. Rest, relax and do what you can. Just listen to what your body tells you and you will be fine. Chiropracters are great if you have a good one, and ice and heat after the first 24hr. This makes the healing process go faster. Good luck and keep on sewing.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by sjbolyard
Yep, about 10 years ago out of the blue. I thought I had a kidney stone, it hurt so bad. Went to the emergency room, they took me right in and was just a muscle strain. I had to basically be off my feet for a week but then felt much better and no more trouble. Hope you feel better soon!
I've had several kidney stones and they were much worse than this. The stones had me on my knees at work.
I don't wish either kidney stones or back pain (of any cause) on anyone.