Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I guess I'm older than I thought >

I guess I'm older than I thought

I guess I'm older than I thought

Old 01-26-2011, 06:24 AM

For The Spine: Physical Therapy will help you to strengthen muscles around the problems area. Tens electrods with applied heat for 10 minutes to interrupt pain messages to the brain clears the way for exercise. After exercise...ice it down to reduce inflamation. I am much stronger since I began PT and have fewer periods of pain.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
My apologies on the tylenol comment. I WAS confusing it with Aleve, which my daughter has me take in tandem with tylenol for the arthritis/fibro/joint/muscle pain. I've gotten on the regimen every day and now don't think about it much; I had a brain lapse.

(Wonder what she'll suggest for that? A "home"? LOL! :? )

Jan in VA
LOL - maybe it was a brain spasm....THAT comes with age, too!!!!:cry:
Old 01-26-2011, 06:29 AM
Power Poster

I am only 46 but have had back pain, not just lower, and joint pain since I was 19. Yes, you can have it from just bending down, turning, twisting or sometimes from just sleeping. When I have something acute like that happen I see a chiropractor. This and excercise helps me a lot. Sometimes my back pain is so acute I can not get out of bed. Sorry to hear you have to deal with this and I hope it will be over soon.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
Originally Posted by Jan in VA
My apologies on the tylenol comment. I WAS confusing it with Aleve, which my daughter has me take in tandem with tylenol for the arthritis/fibro/joint/muscle pain. I've gotten on the regimen every day and now don't think about it much; I had a brain lapse.

(Wonder what she'll suggest for that? A "home"? LOL! :? )

Jan in VA
LOL - maybe it was a brain spasm....THAT comes with age, too!!!!:cry:
:-D :-D :-D
Old 01-26-2011, 09:10 AM

Yes, I am 64 and was walking 2-1/2 miles a day and had lost 16 lbs.

After walking was getting out of the tub, was putting on lotion and the pain hit (I went to the floor and had to sit for 1/2 hr. before I could get up).

This was on Oct. 26th. I could not even turn over in the bed without screaming.

Turns out that mere motion caused a Protruding Disc and it was compressing the Sciatic nerve (excrutiating pan).

After 2 months of steroids, muscle relaxers, pain killers, and a Epidural of steroids directly into the back I am now better.

It does not take much.

GO GET IT CHECKED OUT by a Doc.

J J
Old 01-26-2011, 11:53 AM

I believe in the RICE treatment and in Cobroxin
Old 01-26-2011, 12:23 PM

As soon as I turned 65 I started having health issues. I told everyone that I had reached my "Best Before Date".
Old 01-26-2011, 02:46 PM

Yes all throught he years. I have bulging disk and sometimes they do this. A chiropractor is your best bet. Use ice while it is first swelling and then heat after it swells for 20 minutes at a time.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:41 PM

What a great posting!!!! I am currently sitting in a recliner with an ice pack on my back because it started spasming yesterday. Can't sit, stand walk..............going to chiropractor tomorrow, but niece (a physical therapist) is coming by tonight. ahhhh, can't wait to actually sleep tonight.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:19 PM

Surprised to see this subject on the board. I myself for over a month have had problems, I couldn't get out of bed, go up and down steps, and get in and out of the car.I had such terrible pain in my right hip and into my groin. Finally had to go to dr. He said I have girdle hip, the muscles all around my hip and butt were inflamed. Took Medrol for inflamation and had my first PT today We just need to relax a little more. Hope you get better soon