Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I guess I'm older than I thought >

I guess I'm older than I thought

I guess I'm older than I thought

Old 01-25-2011, 10:15 AM

Yep, I've done that too. The least little thing would affect my back. Had back problems on and off for many years, to the point where I could see I had a sideways curve when I stood. Went to a chiro 3 or 4 years back and have been going regularly since and now I hardly have any back problems, although it is still weak. And I'm straight when I stand :)
Old 01-25-2011, 10:38 AM

I can sympathize with all of you. I have degenerative disc in my whole back. I have had surgery on two discs in my thorasic spine and in my cervical spine. I am disabled from it. I have had this for 10 years. It runs in my family. Some days it is a chore to get out of bed. I have learned to live with it. I do things when I have good days. At 57 I am sick of surgery. I will cope.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
At age 40 I bent over to greet at little 3 year old neighbor girl at the front door, and literally hit the floor screaming in agony. Poor child was probably scarred for life!

Immediate chiropractic care, rest, and ice with specific exercises were my saviors.

Tylenol has anti-inflamatories which also help.

Praying for your quick recovery!

Jan in VA
One correction - tylenol is a pain killer that has no anti-inflammatory properties. For that you need to get ibuprophen, aleve, aspirin - an 'nsaid'.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:08 AM

I know exactly what you're going thru. I leaned to get the toaster and my back felt like someone kicked me. I've had lower back problems since my son was born. I go to the chiropractor 1 time a mo. and I don't have any problems. Ice and anti-inflammatory do really help.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:17 AM

I don't think it has to do with age. My tailbone will pop if I bend over just right (and not it's not a yoga pose that does it).

I do know when the tailbone pops, it's time to see the chiro.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:32 AM

I am almost 60 years young also, and on 3 separate occasions I was getting out of bed and had no strength in my legs due to the sharp pains that were hitting me in my lower back. Headed to the ER every time and they always said it was inflamed nerve endings Go figure?
Old 01-25-2011, 12:03 PM
Power Poster

I was 27 years old, I bent over to put a barrett in my DD's hair and threw my back out LOL
My doc said he sees very simple movements cause this all of the time, more often than actual injuries/falls.
You move just slightly wrong, at a slightly wrong angle, holding your mouth slightly off.... :roll: and out it can go.
Strengthening your abs and back muscles is important and does help, but sometimes it just happens :D:D:D
Old 01-25-2011, 12:52 PM

It's nice to know I'm not the only one this has happened to although I feel bad for anyone who goes through this.
I don't have any shooting pains or numbness.
I've been taking Motrin and keeping a moist heating pad on my lower back all day, instead of ice. oops.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:48 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

My apologies on the tylenol comment. I WAS confusing it with Aleve, which my daughter has me take in tandem with tylenol for the arthritis/fibro/joint/muscle pain. I've gotten on the regimen every day and now don't think about it much; I had a brain lapse.

(Wonder what she'll suggest for that? A "home"? LOL! :? )

Jan in VA
Old 01-25-2011, 03:50 PM

I pulled the muscle that runs along the inside of the spine down through the pelvis to lift the leg just by reaching for a pair of scissors. And I was barely 40 at the time! Took weeks for it to totally heal.