Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
weight loss challenge with a prize sign up.....ends March 2 @8am >

weight loss challenge with a prize sign up.....ends March 2 @8am

weight loss challenge with a prize sign up.....ends March 2 @8am

Old 03-11-2011, 01:42 PM
Banned

If the POPE was a quilter I wouldn't trust my stash with him!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-11-2011, 02:38 PM

I'd like to thank whoever mentioned "my fitness pal"...I signed up yesterday and they make it so easy to track your calories, etc...thanks, again.
Old 03-11-2011, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by trupeach1
Originally Posted by purplemem

Irish, I'm still trying to decide what to give up for Lent...I know, a day late, but I want it to be real...I'm thinking limiting my computer time to 2 hours a day, AND No second portions, even on salad, AND no carbonated beverages, AND no fabric purchases. God will bless these efforts.
As per my son.........with a masters in theology you don't have to give up something like cake etc you can do more spiritual read each day or prayers. I am giving up my time. I am doing the stations of the cross everyday along with 1 hour of charity sewing. Someone gave me yardage of poly cotton 2 different prints. I will not use it in my quilts however the un wed moms shelter can use baby quilts. I am sewing simple quilts I am doing a sq in a sq and I will tie them. Sometimes it is better to give of yourself then give up something that will benefit you. My friend is giving up chocolate but they said they need to loss a few lbs so are they giving it up as penance of for themself?
Yes you are correct it is better to do good things than give up something.
Stations of the cross every day. Wow that is a sacrafice.
I like the idea of sewing for others. Great idea. I may have to look for a place for me to give.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Quilting Nana
Originally Posted by trupeach1

Irish, I'm still trying to decide what to give up for Lent...I know, a day late, but I want it to be real...I'm thinking limiting my computer time to 2 hours a day, AND No second portions, even on salad, AND no carbonated beverages, AND no fabric purchases. God will bless these efforts.
As per my son.........with a masters in theology you don't have to give up something like cake etc you can do more spiritual read each day or prayers. I am giving up my time. I am doing the stations of the cross everyday along with 1 hour of charity sewing. Someone gave me yardage of poly cotton 2 different prints. I will not use it in my quilts however the un wed moms shelter can use baby quilts. I am sewing simple quilts I am doing a sq in a sq and I will tie them. Sometimes it is better to give of yourself then give up something that will benefit you. My friend is giving up chocolate but they said they need to loss a few lbs so are they giving it up as penance of for themself?
Yes you are correct it is better to do good things than give up something.
Stations of the cross every day. Wow that is a sacrafice.
I like the idea of sewing for others. Great idea. I may have to look for a place for me to give.

i love lent, fasting and penence. i added the stations of the cross because i pray the rosary all year along with the chaplet of divine mercy. i needed more prayers for lent. i was thinking of also doing the little office of Mary but changed my mind.

you can check in your area if there is a right to life organization if you wanted to give baby quilts to them. lots of people do project linus. the girls in the unwed mothers shelter are homeless and that is why they are there. a new quilt for a baby is such a blessing to them.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:44 PM

Tru,
I am wounded!

I have a masters in theology also.
When I give up "things", I use the time, effort, and money for the benefit of others. I picked things that were hard for me to do, and would allow me to adjust my life to a more sane concept.

Hours on the computer deprive me of hours of charitable sewing. Seconds on my plate could alert me to the hunger of others, as well as me giving the "extra" portions to the food bank. (not in my leftovers, but in canned goods.)

The money spent on carbonated beverages can provide clean water to disaster victims.

This is where I'm going with this... I just gave the shorthand version earlier.

You SHOULD trust me, I'm a nice girl! LOL!
you are doing something positive. When we do positive things yes we do give up our time.
You are correct.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:43 PM
Banned

does it count if I tried on a pair of jeans that were 96% cotton and 4% spandex and they fit or is it cheating since they weren't 100% cotton so they stretched and the zipper closed and I could sit down and they were fine and felt comfy and they were Bill Blass which I don't know how they run if they are true to size or not HOWEVER they are a size..............10!!!!!!!
Old 03-11-2011, 04:46 PM

It counts! What a fantastic size!

I would LOVE to wear a size 10 anything...well, I can wear a size 10 shoe...
so I guess that is not exactly true,

Tru=
So proud of YOU!!

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 03-11-2011, 04:53 PM

My giving up chocolate isn't intended for weight loss. It is intended to remind of the sacrifice Jesus made for me.
There is nothing I could give up that would match His sacrifice, but something I'm addicted to serves as a reminder. I need to add ice cream or I will just trade one addition for the other.

My current sewing project is a table runner and hot pad for a silent auction for CareNet which is our local organization for helping unwed mothers. If I'm going to oppose abortion, I need to put my money where my mouth is. I've made fleece blankets for them and have considered mentoring a young mother. The fact that I wouldn't be able to help her financially and I'd want to has been my hold up.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:58 PM

Irish,
I encourage to mentor a young mother. I was a wedded teenage mother at 18, and was treated like a pariah. I wasn't even given a baby shower. It would have meant so much to me to have a woman to talk to that was positive and helpful.

Money struggles are something most of us have, and having someone to talk to helps ease the stress. Just knowing someone in the same situation is helpful, plus you may have hints she's never thought about.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:09 PM

My cabbage soup is just a vegetable soup with lots of cabbage in it. The fun part is that is is a base. I can change it daily by adding Mexican, Italian or whatever spices when I heat it up. Last night cooking the cabbage made me hungry for creamed cabbage, so I made a thick cheese sauce and put that on some drained soup. It was perfect.

Cabbage Soup as made this time:
1 lb ground steak, browned with
2 onions
4 cloves garlic
2 stalks celery, then add
1 quart water?
1 lb baby carrots
1 sweet potato
1 can stewed tomatoes
1 red pepper
1 head cabbage, cut up
Salt, pepper, garlic powder, Beau Monde seasoning, a little oregano, dried parsley
Push on the cover of the Dutch oven and cook until carrots and potatoes are tender.

You could use bouillon, but I can't - no MSG, but I find browning the meat long and slow gives me enough flavor. My ground meat is antibiotic free, hormone free and free range which I feel has more flavor. This is not a meaty mix, but it suits me.

Mexican sounds good tonight, so I can add taco sauce, salsa and cumin, then top with lowfat sour cream, some lowfat cheese and olives.

That has to be a great feeling, Tru. Yes, it counts, if the top buttons. Yay!!!!! :thumbup: