May Secret Pal Swap Closes April 30th 2pm >

May Secret Pal Swap Closes April 30th 2pm

May Secret Pal Swap Closes April 30th 2pm

Old 05-12-2012, 09:50 AM
Banned

Ona,

That is how I have seen them used before, but this is the
first time I have actually had one and I was looking at some
of my fabrics, oh my did they look GOOD!.

Originally Posted by onaemtnest View Post
Picture #3

Homemade tissue holder in purple with tissues
Package of 8 magnets
Homemade card pocket that came with a coin
Sequin start shaped fuchsia color key ring
Compact tote bag
Kaleidoscope looking glass (so cool, never had one before)
2 of the 4 cat toys which the "dude" (aka Gizmo) was waiting
for me to finish with. From the minute the box came in from
the mailbox he has been stuck to it knowing there was something
inside for him (and the other 3 kids).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]334774[/ATTACH]

Rosemary thank you again so much for this awesome box packed
full of goodies.

What a GREAT package Louise....my question I may have 'dreamed' this but isn't the Kaleidoscope used in quilting??? Something about looking at your selection of fabrics through the prisms .... Okay it's now official I'm ________ (you fill in the blank.... :0) [/QUOTE]
Old 05-12-2012, 09:54 AM
Swap Hosts

Off Topic Alert There is the sweetest young lady at the Joann's that I shop at most often. She is so helpful and thoughtful. A while ago she asked me if I would make a quilt for her from her deceased grandmother's house dresses. She said she couldn't bear to part with them so she thought a quilt would be lovely. I agreed. Well, I ran into her last night and we were chatting. I learned that she is going into the Air Force! It won't be until after Labor Day but I started thinking ... so many of us shop at Joann ... and here is a lovely young woman who is going to serve our country ... wouldn't it be wonderful if we could put together a patriotic quilt for her signed by quilters from all over our nation.
Do you think this is something that some of our members would be interested in doing? Like the the quilt blocks for Marty, it would be a QAYG sort of thing. What do you think? If you think it would be a good thing, I'll start a thread.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:57 AM

Default OT A Mother's Pride moment....

I don't know how many of you have seen the movie "The Way" with Martin Sheen. It's currently at Redbox's. It's a wonderful movie IMHO about walking the Camino de Santiago in Spain. It's a 500 mile journey with starting points along the way for pilgrims that may not want to walk the full distance.

Our daughter is completing the walk she started May 4th she has walked nearly 150 miles and it's not a flat walk nor easy some of the journey...mountain passes....rainy weather....etc. She wrote this morning that she is battling heat rash...one blister...aching muscles...uneven paths...ankle deep mud....cobblestone steets....glorious scenery...wonderful people. Even though this is the hardest thing she has ever done she says, it is one of the most inspiring and fulfilling journey's she's ever undertaken. She will enter Santiago tomorrow and then continue on to the ocean beyond, which many pilgrims that have traveled this path tell her is a must see and do ....She has met many other's making the journey from all over the world, but Jodi says language is rarely a barrier.....just like in the movie...all making this, over 1000 year old pathway to the sea.... for various personal reasons.

We're just busting our buttons at Jodi's accomplishment....she truly is a can-do woman!

Last edited by onaemtnest; 05-12-2012 at 10:08 AM.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:59 AM

i am loving all of this clipart. some of it so hilarious.

mother's day: i lost my mom 17 yrs ago and yes there have been times i wish she was here to talk with. and as she would be retired now, there would have been so many things i would want to do with her. though sadness & lost is not how i mark my mother's days now, the first 2 yrs after her passing, i was grappling with my grief and understanding of her unexpected & sudden death.

now that i am a mother myself with grandchildren i celebrate and regale in mother's day with the knowledge that i have passed a tiny bit of me along and can be the type grandmother that my own mother was budding to be: one who loves and tutors her grandchildren with her knowledge and time. i am so thankful and honored that i was allowed to be the steward over three little lives to nuture them into the adults they have become.

on marriage, spouses and thoughtfulness, well what can one say. each is different in its own way and path taken. i do believe that we come to the partnership with our own suitcases of stuff (life experiences), some we can overcome and some stay with us forever. marriages of any duration (20+ yrs) are sure to have their own rhythms and i would think it would be important to find some happiness (individual or joint) in it all. i have found that good friends can often fill in some gaps because they will do with you the things you like when a partner may have different interests.

so krystyna enjoy yourself fishing but i must say while i love fish, it would have to be completely undressed before i will touch it.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Krystyna View Post
Off Topic Alert There is the sweetest young lady at the Joann's that I shop at most often. She is so helpful and thoughtful. A while ago she asked me if I would make a quilt for her from her deceased grandmother's house dresses. She said she couldn't bear to part with them so she thought a quilt would be lovely. I agreed. Well, I ran into her last night and we were chatting. I learned that she is going into the Air Force! It won't be until after Labor Day but I started thinking ... so many of us shop at Joann ... and here is a lovely young woman who is going to serve our country ... wouldn't it be wonderful if we could put together a patriotic quilt for her signed by quilters from all over our nation.
Do you think this is something that some of our members would be interested in doing? Like the the quilt blocks for Marty, it would be a QAYG sort of thing. What do you think? If you think it would be a good thing, I'll start a thread.
Krystyna...Not sure what the Marty quilt blocks were but you can count me ... would the blocks be sent to someone to put into a quilt? I'm all for supporting a member serving our country.....Cause' I'm a proud Momma of a son serving our country in the Air Force in Desert Shield/Storm and for nearly 20 years in the Colorado Air National Guard....of course I had him when I was Verrrrrrrry young. :0)
Old 05-12-2012, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by onaemtnest View Post
I don't know how many of you have seen the movie "The Way" with Martin Sheen. It's currently at Redbox's. It's a wonderful movie IMHO about walking the Camino de Santiago in Spain. It's a 500 mile journey with starting points along the way for pilgrims that may not want to walk the full distance.
i saw this movie recently and it was inspiring. i think i would like to do it also. good luck to your daughter for taking such a journey.

mary
Old 05-12-2012, 10:08 AM
Swap Hosts

Onalee, Here is the thread about the Quilt Blocks for Marty. I think a photo of the finished quilt is around 348.
Yes, I'll put them together into a quilt. I'll let you all know when I start the thread.
And between your son and Jodi, I think you are one awesome mama! What wonderful children you produced.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Krystyna View Post
Off Topic Alert ... wouldn't it be wonderful if we could put together a patriotic quilt for her signed by quilters from all over our nation.

lemme know i have a bag of stars & stripes remnants just sitting here waiting on something to be done with them.

mary
Old 05-12-2012, 10:32 AM

Everyone............Have wonderful...............fun............exciting Mother's day weekend.............Hope you get just what you want.........................
Old 05-12-2012, 10:37 AM
Banned

K - I would love to make a block and sign it for the young lady going
into the military.

I am sorry to know/hear that your family forgets about YOU on the
two special days of the year for you, up until 4 yrs ago my hubs did
not buy me Mother's Day gifts not even a card. His reasons because
1) I was not his mother, and 2) I was not the mother to his girls. BUT
when the youngest daughter (who I "claim" as my youngest) came to
live with us because she just couldn't deal living with her alcoholic mother
and stepdad anymore I started getting gifts and card for Mother's Day
from both of them.

Ona - I too was a very young mom (married at 16, mom at 17, widow at 18).
My oldest daughter is 30 yrs old (31 in Nov.), but I do not have any grands
yet she can't have kids, she has had 9 miscarriages in the past 12 years.
If I ever have any grands it will be from my youngest daughter (mentioned above)
as I don't think her older sister ever wants to have kids, who knows though.

Although my mother is still alive, she had a stroke last June and has not
been "herself" since, she recognizes me, but she won't talk to me or anyone.
We will go see her (and dad) tomorrow, and will take her flowers, but I miss
my mom the way she use to get all excited to see me, now she just sits in a
chair or lays on the bed and looks at me. She will be 84 in July and she is an
amazing inspirational women to me.
When my mom was born she was a "blue baby" and they told her parents that
she would not live to become a teenager. When she was about 7-8 years old
there was an accident involving her and the family bull on the farm, the bulls
horn went through her temple out the of the forehead at the hairline, that did
not kill her. She is a tough cookie and although she is mentally handicap she
is my "hero" because of her strength.

I would gladly "share" my mom with any of you wonderful people.

MANY HUGS to ALL of you.