Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What am I doing wrong cutting long strips that they bow? >

What am I doing wrong cutting long strips that they bow?

What am I doing wrong cutting long strips that they bow?

Old 02-26-2011, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by davidwent
Luckily I cut them 2 3/4 for 2 1/2 strips so I can clean them up. It is folded fabric that I am cutting the long strips from
TIA
David
Hi David,
I haven't read all the other replies, so forgive me if I am
repeating what others have said.

Bowed strips occur when first of all you double fold the
fabric. When cutting strips, you should always cut from the
single fold (the way it comes off the bolt, instead of folding
it again from the original fold to the selvege.)

Even when cutting from the single fold, you can still have
bowed strips unless you do one important step. After cutting
two (three at the most) strips, then move your fabric to the
nearest line. You will find that there will be a slight overage
on that line if you have the fabric lined up on both the vertical
horizontal line. You need to put your ruler there and cut off
the sliver that is over the horizontal line to straighten the cut.

It doesn't matter how carefully you cut each strip, the fabric
needs to be straightened in this way about every 2 - 3 cuts.
If you will do these two things, you will have straight strips -
no bowing.
Have a Blessed Day!
Old 02-26-2011, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by gal288
The fabric is not on grain, it's that simple. I have always realigned the fabric, never use it the way it comes off the bolt.

Unfold the fabric,, press out the center, hold the 2 selvages edges together, move the fabric left or right untill there is no distortion in the folded edge. There will be bumbs & bubbles in the fold when it is not straight, but as soon as the grain is aligned, the fabric will lay smooth.

I then lay it on the ironning board, press from selvage edge to fold, being sure to keep selvages together. If you get a bubble when pressing, it's still not onn grain.

When I have a yard of more of fabric, I cut off a piece approx. 24" instead of trying to hold up all the fabric. Do you use a specific size?

Have done this method for over 40years & it works, just a little practice to learn.

Good luck
When I have a yard of more of fabric, I cut off a piece approx. 24", instead of trying to hold up all the fabric. Do you use a specific size?
Old 02-26-2011, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Heartwarming quilts
I never starch but do square the fabric 1st and then every 2 or3 (?) if I get off. As long as I apply pressure on the ruler the whole way up you should be good to go.
I line my 12x12 ruler up to the fold of the fabric, then butt my 6x12 ruler to it and make my cut. I too recheck for squareness every 2-3 cuts and more often than not find I need to square it up again. I never have V-strips any more
Old 02-26-2011, 08:00 AM

When you purchase fabric it is never straight. When you put the two selvege edges together you may see the there is a lump at the point of the fold. Move over one selvege edge to the left or right until you get a smooth fabric. Doing this while standing up or else you will not see the problem or the difference in how the fabric lays. Now all you have to do is to use either folded or selvege edge as a straight edge and cut a straigh line from fold to selvege. Cut a small sample to check the straightness of strip. That's it.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:56 AM

Sometimes my strips are straight and sometimes they're not. I'm gonna try out some of these tips and hope for better results. Thanks all.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:10 AM

I used to freak out when I saw my Lqs owner take our 44"folded fabric and then fold it again bring the fold from the bottom to the selvage.....I thought, OMG, there is going to be a "V" in it......it didn't happen.
So I went home and tried it. I did not starch, just folded where there was the four layers, smoothed, and smoothed, then cut the end to square up. My secret is using the June Taylor slotted template ruler.....you don't pick up the ruler and moving it each cut. This big square template slotted ruler lays on the folded fabric....line up the fabric fold on the bottom line, insert your rotary cutter into the desired strip slot measurement and cut. cut, cut....up to 9 strips without moving the ruler. It comes in different sizes. Watch for those Joann sales and coupons.

D in TX
Old 02-26-2011, 09:22 AM

what the heck is a Go baby??
Old 02-26-2011, 09:29 AM

It is smaller than the GO. Light Weight.
I have the Studio...it is a monster...very heavy. But love it.
D in TX
Old 02-26-2011, 09:59 AM
Banned

David: I havn't read all the posts but so far I havn't seen a description of exactly what you are doing. A clear and complete description of how you are folding your fabric, straightening up, etc how you hold the fuler. Motion of rotary cutter. Appears most of the responses are based on assumption. It might be just an adjustment in what you are already doing.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:04 AM

I love this board!!! Everyone is so helpful :D