Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Washing fabric >

Washing fabric

Washing fabric

Old 04-15-2011, 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by Normabeth
Hi,
Since I am fairly new to quilting, I was told that you wash all your fabrics. After doing this for several quilts, I got tired of all the STRINGS - now I use the steam setting in my machine, and steam the fabrics, since steam is hot, I believe the sizing and chemicals are released from the fabric, they come out damp, so I throw them in the dryer for 10 mintues. I then press them with a hot iron. Recently was told about using spray starch, made a baby quilt this week, and all I can say is "What a difference in sewing the seams" a little startch can make.
NormaBeth
I see, yes making those seams work properly when sewing is a must. i shall try your ideas.

thankyou.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:36 AM
Power Poster

Sometimes I do...sometimes I don't. Reds are bleeders!
Old 04-15-2011, 10:58 AM

I am piecing together a lap quilt and washed all the fabric. I was about to use some donated fabric (from my friend) for just a small bit of it (a bird beak or something), and almost forgot to check it. I'm glad I did, it bled like crazy. I just can't imagine doing all that work to have it ruined.

On the other hand, when I made a couple of quilts to hang on the wall I didn't wash anything ahead of time since I will rarely wash them.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:30 AM

Gkynda....I have found Retayne at a fabric store, but it is wonderful, don't have to worry about bleeding. betty
Old 04-15-2011, 03:56 PM

i've never washed jelly rolls (yet) but i do the charms in a lingerie bag like everything else i bring in...
besides the fact that i know how dirty a freight dock is, and all that lovely fabric was on a freight dock at some point, i have pretty bad allergies & it is just a case of better safe than sorry ...
Old 04-15-2011, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
I don't wash charms, jelly rolls etc. When I am finished with a project I put Shout Color Catchers in the wash with it.
They work great!
If I think something is sure to bleed I will soak it in a basin first.
Wow Susan margaret, that is a great hint....I will try that as well. :)
Old 04-15-2011, 07:49 PM

I pre wash charms, jelly rolls and so on by hand . Did some hand painted ones the other day and they all faded allot. Was glad I did that before appliqued them to my quilt what a mess that would have been. Not only that after all the time it takes to hand do it I would have just cried.
I'm a be lever in pre wash now an lined dryad.
Old 04-16-2011, 06:26 AM

I washed the Robert Kaufman fabric that shrunk when I steamed it. I lost over two inches in width, so I guess it's back to prewashing for me.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:26 AM

oops
Old 04-18-2011, 10:32 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jammin' Jane
Sometimes I do...sometimes I don't. Reds are bleeders!
SOME reds may be bleeders - also so can SOME blues, blacks, greens, teals, purples, oranges, and yellows.

The last red I had that had excess dye in it (it wasn't a bleeder) was a Moda. Also had some VIPS and some "cheapie" types - no brand name known - the water stayed clear.

I can't tell just by looking how a fabric will behave.

Last two fabrics I purchased at the LQS - a very dark navy RJR - and a solid black Michael Miller -

The dark navy stayed about the same size - the black shrunk about three inches in width.

I measure fabrics before and after soaking/washing/drying them. I have had LQS fabrics shrink considerably - and some not at all - and WalMart/Hancock fabrics that shrank considerably - and some not at all.