Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hello my name is Michael and I'm a Fabric Hoarder >

Hello my name is Michael and I'm a Fabric Hoarder

Hello my name is Michael and I'm a Fabric Hoarder

Old 04-15-2011, 04:43 PM

I think alot of us a fabric hoarders....lol.
Old 04-15-2011, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by miholmes
What is it about fabric?

I've been quilting for a little over a year now. And after my last quilt I started to organize my fabric.....YIKES!!

How many times can you say...OHHH I remember that KIT I forgot I had that!

Or...That's RIGHT I got this cute baby flannel for the next time I needed to make a baby quilt. (I've done 4 since getting that fabric)

I have jelly rolls galore and then 1/4 yard of fabric just cause I thought they were fun.

So after going through EVERY tub I'm embarrased to say there really wasn't alot of scraps.....most were KITS.....fabric, plus the backing I bought after getting the kit and the patterns....KITS....many are queen sized....those aren't cheap.

I realize it will be hard to quilt cold turkey but unless there is a project I'm doing for someone that I HAVE to get done and they pick a specific fabric, I really need to use what I have.

I mean I know we kid about it alot, but there's hundreds if not a thousand or more dollars in my sewing room. Granted they are all now organized with a digital picture of the kit taped to the front of the projects bag. But it's an entire kitchen island full, several plastic tubs, and a shelf stacked with jelly rolls (did I mention I've only ever done 1 quilt with a jelly roll)

WHY are we so obsessed with this stuff?!?!?! I was actually slighty horrified that I couldn't even REMEMBER buying some of these kits.

So we'll see how long I can stay on the non-fabric purchasing wagon....cause it's OUT OF CONTROL! I think Discover needs to have a new show.....Quilting - INTERVENTION! Cause I think I would be a candidate.

P.S. I forgot to mention I found 3 kits in the little secret cubby in the trunk of my RAV4......THREE.....I was too ashamed to bring them in the house. :P
LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!! That is just too funny!
Old 04-15-2011, 04:55 PM

To quote Ricky Simms, "we do not have fabric stashes, we have fabric Collections!"
Old 04-15-2011, 04:55 PM

did you put your fabric on boards? i did, and it feels awsome to look and see what you have. kits, now that's harder to stand up on shelves......
Old 04-15-2011, 05:08 PM

Hey - I'm a hoarder too - of fabric and anything quilting - ha. But I justify it by saying that fabric is going up so when it gets totally too expensive, then I will have plenty to keep sewing with.
That's my story!
Scherrie
Old 04-15-2011, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by miholmes
What is it about fabric?

I've been quilting for a little over a year now. And after my last quilt I started to organize my fabric.....YIKES!!

How many times can you say...OHHH I remember that KIT I forgot I had that! .... WHY are we so obsessed with this stuff?!?!?! I was actually slighty horrified that I couldn't even REMEMBER buying some of these kits.

So we'll see how long I can stay on the non-fabric purchasing wagon....cause it's OUT OF CONTROL! I think Discover needs to have a new show.....Quilting - INTERVENTION! Cause I think I would be a candidate.

P.S. I forgot to mention I found 3 kits in the little secret cubby in the trunk of my RAV4......THREE.....I was too ashamed to bring them in the house. :P
Hi, my name is Donna, and I'm a clothaholic.

Welcome. You're in the right support group.
Old 04-15-2011, 05:18 PM

The best thing is you have amitted you have a problem. Problem??? I see nuting, I hear nuting.
Old 04-15-2011, 05:22 PM

Confession is good for the soul!! haha

It is an obsession...I am a cheapskate until it comes to fabric. I can always rationalize a fabric purchase.

Good luck with your new resolution!
Old 04-15-2011, 05:29 PM

Try collecting sewing machines they are harder to hide.... but DH is an enabler - we went to Goodwill again today and I bought another 1, just a week later from buying the previous one...lol ...Oh plus I had to stop in at Joann Fabrics too with thier sale going on. Gadget #???? who knows, but I got a strip cutter for 40% off woohoo.. and clearance fabric @ 50% off.. Came home with another 10 yards or so... So dont feel too bad at least your organized...I just keep buying lol
Old 04-15-2011, 05:31 PM

So well put ~ I am right there with ya :)