Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • NEW QUILT Store >
  • NEW QUILT Store

• NEW QUILT Store

Old 04-29-2011, 05:56 AM

good lights
    Old 04-29-2011, 06:07 AM

I like having quilts made up to give me ideas. What I don't like is my lqs follows you constantly. They act like everyone is coming in there to steal something. If you pick up something they take it and ask you to start a basket behind the counter. If you say you don't want to start a basket they stay with you until you pay. It is not a freindly shopping experience.
    Old 04-29-2011, 06:11 AM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

1. ok a restroom-JoAnn's does not have a public restroom.
    2. displays-JoAnn's no longer does. at least in my area of Ohio
    3. a table where one could set bolts and check for color/pattern compatability-again JoAnn's does not
    4. layer cakes etc. the girls in JoAnns had no clue when I asked about them. they carry maybe 3 different charm packs and matching jelly rolls.

I have never been to a LQS even tho we have at least 6 within 30 min of me because I fear I can't afford the fabric there. the suggestions you got were all great! friendliness, knowledge, classes, later hours for the working stiffs lol. Good luck to your friend
    Old 04-29-2011, 06:11 AM

My favorite store is not cluttered and well lit (natural light) so I can see the true fabric colors, carry notions the other stores don't, loyalty card (buy 10 yards get one free), discount section, friendly staff, and quilts hanging from present and future classes. There's a separate room for classes. They also have a website with the schedule of all their classes/events. My least favorite is not well lit, you have to carry a bolt to a window to see it well and has a narrow hallway where it's difficult to find notions without hitting your back on what's on the opposite wall.
    Old 04-29-2011, 06:20 AM

The people that responded on here are very spot on! I have 3 LQS in my area and they each have their own 'feel'. A person may not get the true atmospheere the frist time in there but it comes out. The atmosphere is the combination of the owner/workers attitudes and what interests them.

One of the shops is pretty uppity. They offer classes band such but everyone in the store is VERY experienced and they don't cater to the 'newbie'. They have awesome exhibits in the store but not always can you buy what they display. (That is very annoying!!!!)

Another one seems to be more into teaching the youth and their newsletter and fabric is not as much quilting as sewing and really they don't carry a very wide variety of fabrics.

The third one is my favorite but they have a sort of bad attitude towards customers that don't spend major money in their store. Their hours are not friendly to the person that works. They once made a comment in a class that they do not allow comments to be made that recommend other places to buy quilt supplies. (Like blades from Harbor Frieght). That was a turn off. They seem to be about how much you can spend there. They were going to start charging to use their iron during open sewing times.
    Old 04-29-2011, 06:23 AM

Customer service is number one in my book. I'm very big on service since I own a picture framing shop and I think service is my first job. Not sure why the majority of quilt stores I have visited aren't big on service and smiles. I think the reason I order online so much is because I don't have to be frustrated with the lack of service, and in some cases, pure snobbery.
    Old 04-29-2011, 06:31 AM

i think friendly and courteous staff if the most important thing as well as lots of fabric choices. online sales is just as important because you attract customers from all over and people like me who might be visiting in the area. i go to the dallas area to visit my brother and family and always check out as many quilt shops as i can i even order from some of them online since we only have 2 lqs shops within 50 mi of where i live. i shop often from a great shop online from las vegas. so customers dont have to be local.
    carla
    Old 04-29-2011, 06:39 AM

Evening classes that start at 5:30 or 6, not 5, because that's when a lot of people get off work, and a variety of classes in the evening, not just the same 2 over and over :-D

I'd love to take more classes, but can't because they are not offered. Can't spend my whole Saturday in a quilting class, because the laundry and grocery shopping wouldn't get done.

Plus everything everyone else mentioned.
    Old 04-29-2011, 06:44 AM

Good lighting. We have 2 LQS close to each other. I always end up at the one with the better lighting. I can really see what I am looking at.

Jennie
    Old 04-29-2011, 06:56 AM

"Evening classes that start at 5:30 or 6, not 5, because that's when a lot of people get off work, and a variety of classes in the evening, not just the same 2 over and over :-D

I'd love to take more classes, but can't because they are not offered. Can't spend my whole Saturday in a quilting class, because the laundry and grocery shopping wouldn't get done."

Are you me? LOL This is how I feel exactly.