Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Headed to the Northeast (US) this June/July.  What should I see? >

Headed to the Northeast (US) this June/July. What should I see?

Headed to the Northeast (US) this June/July. What should I see?

Old 05-02-2011, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by OmaForFour
I believe you will need a passport ID to get in the White House, no?
The request has to go through our Congressman's office. SS# but no request for passport. We'll have those along though so we can go to the Canadian side of Niagara Falls.
Old 05-02-2011, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by pjamma
If your Dad wants to hear the Pops on the Esplanade, you really need to get there early. It gets jammed, but, what a fantastic show
We found a website about it. We have to go early in the morning to get a wristband to gain entrance to the Half Shell that evening to hear the Pops. We want to check to see if DD and I can get wristbands for M&D or if they have to go early also. This one is pretty much a "gotta do" on the list since it's a request by Dad.

White House tour is request by DD, so working on that one also!
Old 05-02-2011, 05:16 PM

There's a great lobster place in Ogunquit, ME called the Lobster Pound and a wonderful seaside cliff walk called the Marginal Way. Plymouth harbor has the Mayflower II and Plimoth Plantation nearby is great too but it is built on a hill so the older folks may have a problem walking down to see the village and back up the hill to leave.
If you have time Cape Cod is nice to see also. To see things like the National Seashore Park and Provincetown however it is a lengthly ride. About 45 min from the Cape Cod Canal to the Seashore Park visitors center and another 1/2 hour to P-town.
Wherever you decide to visit, have a great trip and welcome to New England. :)

Oh, I meant to add - if you really want to see the Pops on 7/4 you need to get there veeerrry early. They don't let people go there as early as they used to do but people go and sit as early as possible until the show starts about 8 pm. (that's why I've never gone-years ago people camped out all night).
Old 05-02-2011, 05:32 PM

Be sure to bring along lots of water for them to drink. and I think many people bring a small tent to get awy from the sun.
Originally Posted by booklady
Originally Posted by pjamma
If your Dad wants to hear the Pops on the Esplanade, you really need to get there early. It gets jammed, but, what a fantastic show
We found a website about it. We have to go early in the morning to get a wristband to gain entrance to the Half Shell that evening to hear the Pops. We want to check to see if DD and I can get wristbands for M&D or if they have to go early also. This one is pretty much a "gotta do" on the list since it's a request by Dad.

White House tour is request by DD, so working on that one also!
Old 05-02-2011, 05:34 PM

You are right...the walkway is so pretty also I have taken the lobster boat ride. The price was great and the scenery incredible...the shores are all cliffs and so pretty.
Originally Posted by selm
There's a great lobster place in Ogunquit, ME called the Lobster Pound and a wonderful seaside cliff walk called the Marginal Way. Plymouth harbor has the Mayflower II and Plimoth Plantation nearby is great too but it is built on a hill so the older folks may have a problem walking down to see the village and back up the hill to leave.
If you have time Cape Cod is nice to see also. To see things like the National Seashore Park and Provincetown however it is a lengthly ride. About 45 min from the Cape Cod Canal to the Seashore Park visitors center and another 1/2 hour to P-town.
Wherever you decide to visit, have a great trip and welcome to New England. :)

Oh, I meant to add - if you really want to see the Pops on 7/4 you need to get there veeerrry early. They don't let people go there as early as they used to do but people go and sit as early as possible until the show starts about 8 pm. (that's why I've never gone-years ago people camped out all night).
Old 05-02-2011, 05:38 PM

If you are going to southern maine, the most beautiful place I have ever been to is Arcadia Nat'l Park. I would go back in a second if I could
Old 05-02-2011, 05:46 PM

Did anybody mention Franconia Notch? Even though the "Old Man of the Mountain "fell off of his!", there is still "Echo Lake" and the incredibly beautiful "Flume" and "Lost River" and you are still about 100% guarenteed to see wild Moose up that highway north of Berlin NH, and also up that way and over east into Maine is "Screw Auger Falls" which is a huge naturally watercarved corkscrew in the stone..., and is one of the best kept secrets up in that country! along with some magnificent lakes and hotels!
Old 05-02-2011, 07:04 PM

I haven't read all of the suggestions, but we loved Concord-Thoueau's cabin contents, the Alcott family home, old cemetary with the 4 foot slate headstones ( Shady Hollow?) Do check on dates as we were not able to go to Emerson's house because many of the museums,etc. were closed on Monday.Enjoy!
Old 05-02-2011, 08:01 PM
lgc

Originally Posted by booklady
Originally Posted by ptquilts
in Vermont you must see the Shelburne Museum just south of Burlington - a fantastic collection of quilts.

And don't forget Keepsake Quilting in the lakes region of NH. Great shop.
That's the shop I'm hoping to stop at. I'll only be allowed one or two quilting type stops as my fellow passengers might balk after that!
depending on what day your going to be at Keepsake Quilting, the others can board the M/S Mount Washington for a tour of the Lake. http://www.cruisenh.com/
Old 05-02-2011, 09:02 PM

bush compound in kennibunk maine it is breathtaking close to oqonquit great places to eat i just moved to ohio from boston and also if you want the best seafood ipswitch mass
the clam box i have meet people from as far away as ireland hawaii new zealand little hole in the wall seats about 60 privately owned and most of the time a very long wait very good luck and be safe