Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Seams-do you iron them open or to the darkest side? >

Seams-do you iron them open or to the darkest side?

Seams-do you iron them open or to the darkest side?

Old 05-03-2011, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Johanna Fritz
Originally Posted by janedb
Is there a time to do you can choose. or will something awful happen if you choose the wrong way. !!!
help... jane
Which way I press the seams depends on several things. I have been quilting almost 20 years, and I have learned this over trial and error...error...error.
1. If two pieces of a seam come together and one fabric is really dark (navy or black) and one is really light - press toward dark.
2. If I am making a star type block (regular piece or paper piece) or one where many points/seams come together at one point (like in the center) - seams open.
3. If I am making a block that radiates around a circle (dresden plate etc) - Seams open.
4. In all other cases except above, I press according to block construction. What I mean is on a nine patch, for example, top row and bottom row-press same direction (say to the right-consider colors etc) and the middle row-the opposite direction (say left). That way when you join the rows of the block, they "lock" together and eliminate bulky seams.

**Pressing open will weaken the seam, but in the examples above, it is worth it. I would not do it all the time though. Good luck.
EXCELLENT ANSWER
Old 05-03-2011, 10:21 AM

I have always pressed my to the dark side
Old 05-03-2011, 10:25 AM

The dark side!
Old 05-03-2011, 10:56 AM

Alot depends on the quilt you're making. I the quit has alot of intersecting seams pressing them is the way to go.
If there is not intersecting seams press to the darker fabric
Old 05-03-2011, 10:57 AM

Dark side...
Old 05-03-2011, 11:17 AM

The only/main concern with pressing seams open...if the longarm quilter hits one of those threads holding that seam...it's going to open up. pressing to one side helps make the seam stronger, and should the quilter hit a seam...the quilting will hold it in place via that folded seam.

For hand quilting, I would say it does not matter.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:19 AM

I don't press them open. I think that weakens the seam. Quilts get a lot of rough usage and I think they hold up better when seams are not pressed open.
I have taken a lot of classes and I like Eleanor Burns books and none of these teachers have ever told me to press a seam open. In most cases, I press to the dark.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:38 AM

I press to the sides that will interlock with the next block or row. I press open my seams when I do miniatures. Just makes them easier to work with, but I really think pressing all to one side and the next row the other direction, they interlock much nicer.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:41 PM

I agree with the lady who lets the pattern tell her which way to press. Definitely you press open if it is a star or something like that. I was taught to piece by hand many years ago and we were taught to press all seams open. I don't do that anymore so don't know if that is still the rule. Straight seams I press to the dark or if a lot of 2 1/2 inch strips, I press all in a block the same way.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:06 PM

Usually to the dark although I have pressed open at times. I try to make sure that the under seam doesn't show through the light fabrics. I don't think there is a right or wrong here, just personal preference.