Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you sit on? >

What do you sit on?

What do you sit on?

Old 05-18-2011, 06:54 AM

My husband bought me a wonderful office chair for my birthday several years ago. I love it because it supports my lower back and do not have backaches since getting it!!If you are going to get an office chair I suggest trying them out in the store before purchasing!!
Originally Posted by immemother
Hi Everyone,

Just wondering what you sit on when at your sewing machine. My current chair is giving me some back ache (far to young for that :x ) and I am looking to go out and get a new one, but not too sure what sort I am going to look for.

Would love to know what other have used.

Thanks
Kirsty
:lol:
Old 05-18-2011, 07:02 AM

A rolling office chair with a good back support. I've used one for years. Tried one with arms but that didn't work at all. One of the reasons I like them is that the height of the chair is adjustable so that you can get it set to a level that doesn't work on your back so much. For me, higher is better. The other thing that helps with the back issue is a quick stretch every 30 minutes or so. Take two minutes and go through a series of the same stretches you'd use to warm up for exercise. You'll be amazed how much difference this makes.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:06 AM

I sit on a rocking chair! It started as a joke, my hubby put it in front of the sewing machine. He said he needed to put it some where and since I wanted it and never used it! Well it has worked really well for my comfort, not so much for my cats!

I am sure it will not stay this way, although the chair is nice on my back it is really difficult getting in and out of.

My Doctor did tell me that a lot of the back ache is due to the wrong height of the table rather than the Chair. At the time I was using a office chair.

I love the exercise 'yes, no, maybe so' great idea!

Marybeth
Old 05-18-2011, 07:13 AM

I just sent this as a PM to be sure it was received, and am posting this in the open forum in hopes that a LOT of people will see this.

Our quilt guilds (I'm a member of 3) and sewing guild (just 1!)have had four different physical therapists give hour-long programs in the last two years specifically about the biomechanics of sewing/quilting, how to select proper equipment, how to avoid repetitive motion injuries, and the like.

Every one of them has said first thing: DO NOT GO CHEAP ON YOUR CHAIR: SPEND THOSE FEW HUNDRED DOLLARS (between $350 and $500) ON A CHAIR THAT WILL PROTECT YOU, BIOMECHAICALLY SUPPORT YOU PROPERLY AND (thus) ENABLE YOU TO DO WHAT YOU LOVE TO DO.

A well-selected, top quality chair ALONE saves you hours/days/weeks lost due to back, shoulder, etc. discomfort/pain/stress/strain. If you already have such discomfort, an excellent chair will decrease the discomfort noticeable. If you DON'T have such discomfort, don't set yourself up for it, don't set yourself up for physical therapy down the road.

Tweak the chair's adjustments so that when you sit in it, your spine is straight and you automatically realign yourself properly when you sit in it. After I "dipped" the front of my chair down a tad, I felt so much relief and can sew for hours.

I have a friend who just bought the GYPSY SIT UPON and she loves it - it works the same way as the HUGE balls some people use instead of chairs or in exertcise classes: it realigns the spine, strengthens the lower back and upper back muscles and does a lot to keep your shoulders from hunching while sitting over what you're working on.

My mom (85 years old) uses a top quality memory foam wedge-shaped seat cushion. She has tailbone problems and hates the "doughnut" cushions - but finds that this works well. That said, my sister and I dropped $500 on her chair and another $100 for the cushion (approved by my orthopedic surgeon-brother) ordered through a physical therapy store.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:15 AM

Kitchen chair with pillow in it.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:24 AM

I have a office chair but going to have to buy a new one I put it all the way up and it slowly goes down
Old 05-18-2011, 07:25 AM

Location: Currently Mosquito (which is outside of Placerville) California

Originally Posted by rushdoggie
my butt...

hahahaha! ;)
My thought exactly!
Old 05-18-2011, 07:28 AM
nab

I have both an office chair and an exam room chair with no back on it. We did not need it here at work so I took it home. I do use the exam chair more than the office chair because it is smaller. No matter what chair you use you still need to get up and walk around and stretch often. Be sure to sit in the chair before you buy it. Spend some time with it.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:29 AM

Location: Currently Mosquito (which is outside of Placerville) California

First I bought a really cute little pink and black adjustable office chair from Office Max...for $29.00. It fit at my sewing table, was really comfortable and I loved it. But, you get what you pay for....it lasted about 15 months and then the hydraulic lift in it wore out (I may be plump, but I really don't think it was my weight that did it)

So, now I have a more expensive (and boring) black, adjustable office chair and it seems to be going to hold up. It really is important to have a good, adjustable chair, so you can change positions periodically.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:31 AM

a office chair