Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I knew this might happen. >

I knew this might happen.

I knew this might happen.

Old 06-07-2011, 02:43 PM

I've done that more times than I like to recall, but my machine recovered very quickly and with a change of the needle was good to go again. I finally did figure out that I could set the machine to always align to the middle instead of to the left where it was previously. Hope you get it fixed quickly and cheaply!
Old 06-07-2011, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Radiana
I'm just sick about what happened last night to my new sewing machine. I bought myself a Brother SE400 for Mother's Day and I was so happy with it. It wasn't ideal for quilting any large projects but I loved it for piecing.

I made a terrible mistake by getting a quarter inch presser foot that I knew could be a problem because it had to have the needle in the middle position. I thought I would be very careful in making sure to align it correctly. In the back of my mind I knew I was playing Russian roulette. Sure enough it happened last night, the needle came crashing done on the presser foot.

I thought it would just be a matter of replacing the needle but I tried two new needles and both broke and the machine is just not working.

I was crying a little after it happened because I know it won't be covered by the warranty and God knows how much it will cost to fix.

Has anyone ever had this happen and if so were you able to have it fixed?

I feel so sad because yesterday was a really good day for me, I was missing the grandkids and all of a sudden my son brought them by for a couple of hours. It was such a blessing to me and after they left I was working on the quilt and thinking how nicely it was coming together.

Thanks for letting me cry on your shoulders.
Yess yess Yes!!! My neighbor friend bought one just like that!!! she called me with tears when she put the 1/4 foot on it and it did the same thing... I rushed over( she is my back door neighbor) to see about it!!! after reading the manual, I discovered you need to press a button located on the right of the machine machine to a + or a - I am not sure at the moment... she did qrite down in here book. and also posted a note right on the top of the machine to remind her to do this each time she turns it on... look thru the manual and see if you can find out how you shift the needle for this... if no luck pm me and I will ask her for you....
Old 06-07-2011, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Grandma Mary
I really hope you can get your machine fixed without too much cost. If you do, the following might help you out when you begin to sew again.
Does your machine have the computerized stiches? I have a Brother CS6000i, and when I turn it on, it automatically sets the needle to the left (00 on the computer screen). To center it, I put it at 01.

However,when piecing I use the number 37 (the picture shows a stitch line to the right with a small P [for piecing]next to it). If you line your fabric up with the edge right under the right side of your J foot, you will have a perfect scant quarter inch.

My "beginning quilt class" instructor helped me figure this out. She also taught us to use "mole skin" strips to lay on your machine next to the foot to get your scant quarter inch, so on my machine I just laid it right next to the foot, and a little toward you so that you have a guide to line up your fabric as it goes to the needle. I used this method for a long time until I was comfortable just sewing without it.

Mole skin (or foot pads) can be found by the Dr. Scholl's foot pads in stores, and it comes in 4-1/4" by 3-1/4" pieces that have a sticky side. It's about 1/4" thick. You can use your rotary cutter to cut a tiny strip, (about 1/4" wide and 1-1/2" long), take the backing off and just lay it down on your 1/4 or scant 1/4" measurement. You can guide your fabric right through and have perfect seams. It can be taken off and reused over and over, and once you wear it out, just cut yourself a new piece.

I hope this makes sense! Good luck!
This is it!!! the 00 is not for the quarter foot~ put it on 01....
Old 06-07-2011, 04:41 PM

Pull your bobbin case out and check to make sure a piece of the broken needle didn't fall in
Old 06-07-2011, 05:05 PM

Make sure you turn the machine off and let it reset itself. Take the bobbin out and clean well. Do you have a store that you take classes at ? The store I take classes at the owner will fix minor problems with no charge. They are just so nice and glad to have your business. I think it is something minor.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:15 PM

In case you're not able to program your machine to always start in the middle position, what I do is remove that foot when I turn my machine off. That reminds me to center the needle when I replace it. Wish I could tell you that I ALWAYS remember to do this...
Old 06-07-2011, 05:43 PM

I don't know how many of the same features my SQ9000 has, but for my model, here's what the manual says to do to keep the needle in a permanent middle position:

Normally, the straight stitch (left needle position) is automatically selected when the sewing machine is turned on. The machine can be set so that the straight stitch (center needle position) is automatically selected when it is turned on.

Turn off the sewing machine. Hold down the "+" side of the +/- stitch selection key on the left and turn on the sewing machine. After turning on the machine, release the "+" (stitch selection key). The initial needle position changes to the center needle position and will stay that way until you change it back to the left needle position.

Let me know if it works.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:49 PM

Sorry to hear.... have you looked for any missing broken pieces of the needle? Sometimes it is just the smallest piece -- take out the bobbin and bobbin case and LOOK CAREFULLY. Maybe there is something in there.

Good luck....
Old 06-07-2011, 07:27 PM

i just bought a brother sq9000 and i had a similar incident with it and it jumped timing ?? i bought it online and theres no dealer close so i just took it to my usual sewing machine repair man hes a genius he had it fixed and cleaned and oiled in about an hour and now it purrs like a kitten again. it was soo worth it to get it fixed properly the 1st time with no hassle that i really didnt mind having to pay for it. i feel like hes really reasonable on price anyway and he can fix anything no matter what i do to it lol.
carla
Old 06-08-2011, 02:48 AM

It sounds like your machine may be out of time.that has happened to me.I'm not sure how much it cost but I would think it would be under your warante,I would just contact the shop where you bought it and explain what happened the would help you out