Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does this happen to anyone else?? >

Does this happen to anyone else??

Does this happen to anyone else??

Old 06-15-2011, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose
Not when piecing, but SITD gets me every time. I think it's the tension of it having to be so perfect. Plus the quilt is getting bulky by then. I was looking at those Posture Pleasers. I ended up putting 2 pounds of weight in a child's backpack. My back didn't get sore FMQ this time. I also need to keep my chair the right height so I'm not bending forward. That makes a huge difference.
I bought one of these years ago and when I know I'm going to HAVE to sew quite a bit, this helps immensely. Without realizing it, while sewing, slowly over several minutes I start hunching my shoulders like a turtle peeking out of its shell.

I mentioned this to my husband, an engineer, who noticed height relationships of everything I did while doing the process of quilting. He designed a sewing cabinet with a dropdown cutting/work table (24x60) leaf, a tabletop that is "my" perfect height (my forearms rest flat on the surface while moving fabric through the machine), and bought an expensive (but not top of the line) office chair that met my height relationship needs. My cutting table, ironing board, sewing cabinet work surface and my chair ALL coordinate. Three-quarters of my physical discomfort disappeared; I still have to use the Posture Pleaser to counter all those decades of hunching over "wrong height" tables and chairs.

I also recently bought the Gypsy Sit Upon which I use at my computer desk, just a few feet from the sewing table. (It's kind of a silent whoopie cushion on steroids.) Very minute movements of my hips on this thing as I use the computer or do deskwork, make all the difference - no more locking hip joints, even after HOURS of sitting.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:08 PM

Yes, I have back problems....have learned not to "do" anything too long...quit before I start hurting. Just learn to do everything in smaller segments of time. Aggravating, but necessary.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:35 PM

not only does it happen when I quilt - and when I am at the computer - but as I have gotten older - despite a 35# weight loss - it contiues. Some of us just have old backs - mine started when I was 13 - I remember the day I took that slip and fall ! - Unfortunately with age comes not only experience - but also discomfort. not only do I change positions frequently and get up and walk - I purposely put my iron stuff on the other side of the room.. Also got those thick 'play mats' under where I stand and DH made my 'table' 40 inches high - so it limits my benidng - but when the day is over . . . I stop - and do hand work if the mood stikes me !
How about we call it Back EXPERIENCE !
Old 06-15-2011, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by quilt3311
I keep my ironing surface 23 steps from my machine, so when I need to press anything its, get up, walk, press, walk then keep sewing. Just that bit of movement every few minutes does wonders.
Yep, me too. Keeps the joints from rusting. Haven't counted the steps, though. I think I would have to circle the room a few times to get to 23 steps :).
Old 06-15-2011, 12:59 PM

I had a little program on my computer at work where the avartar popped up and started doing exercises. You set the time intervals as reminders. Really helped me. Wish I could mind a program similar for my home computer. Retired, but still spend time digitizing and get so involved forget to move.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Wunder-Mar
Originally Posted by irishrose
Not when piecing, but SITD gets me every time. I think it's the tension of it having to be so perfect. Plus the quilt is getting bulky by then. I was looking at those Posture Pleasers. I ended up putting 2 pounds of weight in a child's backpack. My back didn't get sore FMQ this time. I also need to keep my chair the right height so I'm not bending forward. That makes a huge difference.
I bought one of these years ago and when I know I'm going to HAVE to sew quite a bit, this helps immensely. Without realizing it, while sewing, slowly over several minutes I start hunching my shoulders like a turtle peeking out of its shell.

I mentioned this to my husband, an engineer, who noticed height relationships of everything I did while doing the process of quilting. He designed a sewing cabinet with a dropdown cutting/work table (24x60) leaf, a tabletop that is "my" perfect height (my forearms rest flat on the surface while moving fabric through the machine), and bought an expensive (but not top of the line) office chair that met my height relationship needs. My cutting table, ironing board, sewing cabinet work surface and my chair ALL coordinate. Three-quarters of my physical discomfort disappeared; I still have to use the Posture Pleaser to counter all those decades of hunching over "wrong height" tables and chairs.

I also recently bought the Gypsy Sit Upon which I use at my computer desk, just a few feet from the sewing table. (It's kind of a silent whoopie cushion on steroids.) Very minute movements of my hips on this thing as I use the computer or do deskwork, make all the difference - no more locking hip joints, even after HOURS of sitting.
Wow, my husband is good at bending things, but isn't an engineer. Maybe your DH would consider doing some kind of tutorial, or explanation on how sewing surfaces should be designed for different height people that we could use to get our own work surfaces adjusted. I've heard that engineers like that kind of detailed work and your DH obviously does, so could you present him with the challenge. Pretty please, with sugar on top????:):)
Old 06-15-2011, 01:04 PM

Stetch and move and another important thing is WATCh your posture. My lower back was hurting so much that I went to doctor last week and he took an x-ray and I was informed my arthritis is now in my lower back and tailbone....great
Old 06-15-2011, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by buddy'smom
When I quilt and do it for any length of time my back is killing me, I get up and walk, take brakes, I do alot of PP so I'm always back & forth to the ironing board. And lots of times it's my side as well??
Yes! I don't paper piece, but long stretches at the machine are a killer for my back and legs. So I set up the iron in the utility room which is on the opposite end of the house. Those walks to the ironing board are just what the doctor orders for an aching back and legs. I also have one of those little mini irons that I plug in and have standing in a glass mug for those quick presses.
Old 06-15-2011, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by buddy'smom
When I quilt and do it for any length of time my back is killing me, I get up and walk, take brakes, I do alot of PP so I'm always back & forth to the ironing board. And lots of times it's my side as well??
Same here. Not only quilting - but vacuuming, mopping, gardening, etc. Have to lay down for a few minutes, so I can keep going. ;)
Old 06-15-2011, 02:58 PM

Do try making 4PVC legs for your cutting table. Purchase a6 or an 8-ft. length of PVC pipe, large enough for your table legs to drop into. Measure how high your table needs to be. Mark the depth on the PVC pipe and drill a hole clear through the pipe. Put a stove bolt through the hole and attach the nut on the other side. Get someone to help you hold up the table and someone to hold the PVC pipe and "drop" the table down onto the stove bolt. The 4 bolts will hold your table easily and the longer "legs" are easily removed. Just lift the table and kick the PVC legs out. I then drop a cord through the pipes and tie the legs together till next time and hang them in the garage or put them under the bed until I need them for the next time.