Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The Good Old Days - Remembering Old Fabric Shops >

The Good Old Days - Remembering Old Fabric Shops

The Good Old Days - Remembering Old Fabric Shops

Old 06-26-2011, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
We had a store called Adrian's in the town where I grew up in Mass. All kinds of fabrics. I also remember getting fabric at Zayre's (like a K-mart).

When I was in college there was a fabric store that was all overstock, etc. It was a mess but if you could find what you wanted the price was right. They specialized in seconds of Vera fabric and linens (the ones with the big flowers). This was back in the 1970's.
was that Weintrubes (sp?) I remeber Zayres, the Fair and Grants

My Mom use to work at Keys - Kings- Mammoth Mart and when they would discountinue patterns just just sent the outer envelopes back and then we could have the pattern for free.
Old 06-26-2011, 04:19 AM

We must be of the same generation......as I was talking about that meter just the other day.

I do remember going with my Mother when she purchased her fabric in a department store called Nevius Voorhees. The had, along with clothes, a material section and I so remember the meter....

and also recall the tubes that one could see taking off and then hear them returning with our change.....

that was before the PLASTIC DAYS !!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-26-2011, 04:32 AM

I worked at J.L. Hudsons--now Macey's and remember that meter. You are right they couldn't be used with knits, and were put to pasture when knits became so popular--early 60's. What I remember the most is the fabric section of the store being tucked into a back corner of the store. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.
Sue
Old 06-26-2011, 04:33 AM

Yes, I too remember those meter thingys. I used to get a lot of "Material" at Duckwalls, Hesteds, JC Pennys, Monkey Wards. Then we got the new "Cloth World".
Old 06-26-2011, 05:11 AM

I remember the fabric meters, and I remember when they tore the yardage instead of cutting. I can also remember when most fabric for general sewing was only 36" wide. Anyone remember that?
Old 06-26-2011, 05:26 AM

When I was 18 ( am 63 now) I worked in a department store... the fabric department... I was supposed to be saving money for college tuition but alas I spent it all on fabric to make clothes for college (my poor parents). Anyway, yes, I used one of those thing-a-ma-jigs to count fabric yardage...push the lever forward to make a beginning cut in order to cut/tear the fabric from the bolt.
Old 06-26-2011, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by Shelbie
In Canada we had a lot of smalltown department stores (Chainways 5 and 10 and Stedmans). They always had bolts of fabric in the back corner or upstairs. It mostly consisted of plain broadcloth in every colour, some prints, gingham in several colours, flanelette (for diapers and receiving blankets) tea towelling and denim. If I wanted a larger choice, I could drive a little over an hour away to a larger town that had some mills that made woolens and towelling (Galt, Hespler and Preston Ontario). I spent all of my babysitting money on fabric and it was less than $1 a yard.
I remember those mills. My sewing teacher in my high school class in Hamilton would arrange class trips to the mills so we could see the fabrics being manufactured and then we were able to shop the outlet store. Got some great bargains.
Old 06-26-2011, 05:31 AM

The store I worked in was called Maas Bros. I believe it was bought by Robinsons, then Burdines, now Macy's. And I do remember that 36" was the common width. Time flies!
Old 06-26-2011, 05:39 AM

The meter brings back memories, had forgotten about them.
Old 06-26-2011, 05:44 AM

OH my Gosh, haven't seen one of those in years!!!
IMom use to buy fabric from Woolworth, and alittle store ni town was called Greenblats...very nice, to remember...thanks