Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does anyone else have this problem? >

Does anyone else have this problem?

Does anyone else have this problem?

Old 06-29-2011, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by vickig626
Originally Posted by JulieR
I'm thinking of going strictly red and white from now on, if that tells you anything. :lol:

Actually I've been thrift shopping (via Craigslist) and gathering diverse colors that way. It's helping me to envision something other than red and white!
Do you buy locally so you can check the fabric? Or, sight unseen? I'm curious. Never thought of checking there.
I've done it a few ways. Once was local and I just picked up the bags/boxes and sorted through it later. That was a haul and a half at $5. I did the same thing with another woman and got a trash bag full of fabric and several books, for $20. At those prices anything I couldn't use for quilting or another project just went to goodwill.

Another time I went to the lady's house and shopped in her closet for $1-$2 per yard, for some excellent quality yardage.

Just see what the deal is, get pics if you can or find out via email what they have. If it's the right deal you can't really go wrong.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:16 AM

i have to start buying yellows
Old 06-29-2011, 08:51 AM

I used to think I was the only one that did that but I found out I am not alone. I think we all migrate towards the colors we like best and I do not worry about it anymore. I tend towards reds, greens, golds, and some inbetweens. I never buy purple; rarely buy blues; very few pinks (except for my grandaughter's quilt ). I figure if I have to wash it; iron it; cut it apart and then sew it back together again, it better be something I like looking at.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:55 AM

Yeah, I have the same problem. I have a pile of blues and pinks and they aren't even my favorite colors. Not sure what I will do with them but will figure it out eventually.
I have told myself that when I buy fabric that is not on sale, i'm going to conciously try and buy colors other than blue or pink. More yellow, black & white, reds, greens.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:19 AM

I think we all have our favorite colors and we just tend to lean towards them. Nothing wrong with that!
Old 06-29-2011, 09:26 AM

When I first started quilting, I knew I loved scrappy quilts (still do) but everything I picked looked the same- colors and styles.

This was a long time ago, but I forced myself to buy all the remnants in quilting weight cotton that were under 1 yard when I went to the store. I got some fabrics I thought were hideous, but a little bit in a scrap quilt popped. It forced me to have a variety and it gradually became easier to see the values in "out of my comfort zone" fabrics.

Now my husband will occasionally see something I've bought and gasp, but when it's in the quilt, he likes it.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:17 AM

I tend to buy greens, and any with leaves on them no matter the color. But I have made quilts of varying colors because I made for someone else's idea.
There is phrase in our quilt guild- "you know who the Patritic colors are and who the earth tones are. We are creatures of habit and sew like colors alot.
I would use your stash as a start to a quilt and push yourself to get another color to go along with your stash that would "pop". this may help you get a feel for other colors you will also use. Just a thought.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by quiltgrammyt2
I also do this but they are reds and blues!!!
And, YES go out and fix the problem, just stay away from the greens and roses and you'll be fine. :roll: :D :D
me too, Reds and Blues and Blues and Blues, LOL
Old 06-29-2011, 01:29 PM
Power Poster

I love white. Then why don't I have more in my stash? It seems that most of the white I have seen is thin and is see through.Is there a certain white that is hard to see through? Does anyone need blue, green? I am trying to get more reds, and browns. After what I have spent on fabric this past two weeks I have to put a halt on buying. Received my Scaredy Cat fabric today and it's so cute. Also received the backing which is the popcorn boxes. BrendaK
Old 06-29-2011, 01:40 PM

I wondered if quilters had more of their favorite colors in their stash. I have wanted to make kids quilts so I have brights in several catagories. Then I wanted to make a patriotic quilt so I got quite a few fabrics in the red, white & blue. I have quite alot of colors because I have bought bundles on e-bay and at estate sales. We will see what I end up making.