Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My version of a "stitch ripper" >

My version of a "stitch ripper"

My version of a "stitch ripper"

Old 07-22-2011, 07:21 AM

I was taught that if you cut the stitches of your unwanted seam between the the two pieces of material you would stretch the fabric making resewing accurately difficult. So since I took up quilting 15years ago I have unpicked this way.
Keeping the fabric flat, using a stitch cutter/unpicker cut the first then every 3rd/4th stitch by sliding the narrow pointy bit underneath the thread then lifting. Do this right along the seam, turn the fabric over, lift the under thread free, take hold and gently pull. It will pull out right to the end of the seam. The two fabrics are apart, and remain undistorted - especially good if unpicking bias seams.
I was slow to start with, but with practice I got better. In fact it's probably my best quilting technique!! .
Hope you understood my explanation - it's really difficult to put into words something you do automatically.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:13 PM

Thanks everyone for your replies! When the temperature drops to one I can safely take my daughter out for a walk in, I'll head over to the mall and pick some up. Never thought to look in the shaving isle! The young guy in the hardware section of my Wal-Mart looked at me like I had two heads when I showed him what I was looking for.

Originally Posted by BuzzinBumble
Just want to comment that you must be pretty skilled with it to not to end up either cutting your fabric or bleeding on it.
It sounds a lot scarier than it is. It really isn't that difficult and I've never cut the fabric or myself. Although, I have to admit I've never used it on something as delicate as a light silk or something like that.

I pull out a couple of the initial stitches on the end of the seam and then while pulling the two pieces apart (very gently so you don't distort the shape of the fabric--especially if it is a bias cut!) you just run the blade along the stitches holding the side of the blade that isn't sharp. Because your hand is holding the fabric above where you are cutting and you are cutting away from yourself, there is really no risk of cutting yourself.

I tried using a 'real' stitch ripper once in a class because the blade made the person teaching me nervous. It took FOREVER. Way too painful for me to sit there that long removing stitches.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by quiltyjax
So since I took up quilting 15 years ago I have unpicked this way.
Keeping the fabric flat, using a stitch cutter/unpicker cut the first then every 3rd/4th stitch by sliding the narrow pointy bit underneath the thread then lifting. Do this right along the seam, turn the fabric over, lift the under thread free, take hold and gently pull. It will pull out right to the end of the seam. The two fabrics are apart, and remain undistorted - especially good if unpicking bias seams.
I was slow to start with, but with practice I got better. In fact it's probably my best quilting technique!!
Thanks for sharing. I think I understand the method you are describing. I only do this when working with really delicate material. Like when I was making the dresses for my sisters wedding this summer. I find when working with cotton, as long as I don't pull a lot on the fabric when pulling it apart to show the stitches I don't distort the fabric at all, but admittedly it is possible to do.
Old 07-22-2011, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by aeble
This is what I was taught to use to removed stitches when I worked at an alteration shop tearing out hems and prepping the clothing for the seamstresses.

A few years ago I found blades in a dollar store, but haven't been able to find any more since. Anyone recognize these and know what they are called or where to purchase them?
I haven't read all of the replys to this question so you may already have your answer, but that blade looks like the ones I use in my hair cutting razor. You could find them at the Beauty Supply in your area. They are thicker on the top than some blades making it easier to hold onto.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:18 AM

I use an exacto knife and love it. I borrowed one from my husband's tool box and liked it so well I never gave it back. It also has the advantage of being able to snip off a section when it gets dull. Lasts a really long time that way.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:21 AM

I use my smallest rotary cutter.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:23 AM

They are used in box cutters, my DH used them at the store where he worked and we have one here at the house. Never thought to use them as a seam ripper LOL
Old 07-23-2011, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by aeble
This is what I was taught to use to removed stitches when I worked at an alteration shop tearing out hems and prepping the clothing for the seamstresses.

A few years ago I found blades in a dollar store, but haven't been able to find any more since. Anyone recognize these and know what they are called or where to purchase them?
If you have Sally's they have them to. Sally's sells Cosmetology Items and I've bought some of those blades before there...
Old 07-23-2011, 06:19 PM

Found them at Walmart. A little difficult to find, but I was able to get them in the automotive area of the store. They also had them in the hardware section, but they were more expensive! Weird.