redneck air conditioner

Old 07-24-2011, 04:56 PM

I'll be trying the jug idea. We've been keeping our a/c set at 79* and our bill was way higher than
we thought it'd be at $162. The rental we're in isn't the most energy efficient, and we even keep the blinds drawn during the sunny times. I'd hate to see the bill if we turned the ac down more!
Old 07-24-2011, 06:13 PM

I stopped complaining about the heat--when I thought of our servicemen and women in Afghanistan--where the temp is about 106, wearing about 70 pounds of stuff--and wearing helmets and heavy boots!
Old 07-25-2011, 06:39 PM
Banned

Here just look at this.....I was telling my wife it will not be long before we get to see this again.

Billy
Attached Thumbnails attachment-231742.jpe   attachment-231743.jpe  
Old 07-25-2011, 06:41 PM

Would have never thought of that. Luckily I have central air but when I go to visit my family in the summer I'll be sure to remember this.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by clem55
Originally Posted by Riversong
I had an uncle years ago who would put a block of ice in a dishpan and run the fan behind it,,,he kept nice and cool!!
that's what my dad did, only they also hung a wet sheet in the doorway in front of the tub. I wonder if you can still buy blocks of ice?
Yes,they still sell block ice.Down here we always have 2 ice cream containers of ice in the freezer at all times.Because it's 15 miles to Yuma,and we can get by a few days.I like it better myself,but hubby likes the small cubes.Ya,I remember back when,we too hung wet sheets up on the porches and the breeze would be cool for sleeping.Also wet towels work in windows,if you have a breeze.Or use them in the closed room with a fan.It is the same thing as a swamp cooler.Also we would wet a sheet and sleep under it to cool us down.Now we have air conditioners going 24/7 at both ends of the house.It's really hot down here.And humid too.Good luck and everybody keep cool.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by clarinet87
I generally hate cliches like this, but I'm in St Louis, and I don't know about other places, but it's really not just the heat, it's the humidity! It feels like you're walking through a swimming pool outside here!
It's that way down here too.I have to get a towel just to go outside.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Woodster
Originally Posted by Prissnboot
I live in Houston and the only time I love the humidity is when I come home from the desert, like Las Vegas. And for you Phoenixites or Phoenixians (or whatever they call people who live there), it doesn't help us to hear "yes, but it's a DRY heat". Hot is hot!
Have to agree with you on the hot is hot. When it's 100 in Idaho, it's like sticking your head in an oven - dry heat. Here in NC, it's hot and sticky, but I don't find it as hard to handle as the dry heat. Thought it would be the opposite. I'd rather it was Fall either way!
That's what I always say too.Down here in Yuma,az when it's above 110,it's hot no matter what the tempature says.At 116 to 118,your breath is taken away some what.I saw it 124 in the shade here one summer.And I thought death valley was hot,and it is.It gets to 135 there in the summer.No wonder they call it death valley.Wow!So,it could be worse kids.For you at 100 degrees,I envy you.Wish it were only 100 here!
Old 07-25-2011, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by seahorsesanna
Originally Posted by Landers
Another wonderful idea I have learned this week! Earlier this week, I was talking to a friend and we were talking about caring for our yards. Of course, I have a yard guy & sprinkler system with irrigation on every tree (which is necessary in NV) and my planters are irriagted. Well She doesn't so she manually water her yard everyday. Yes, her yard looks better than mine! But her idea on irrigation was amazing (just like yours is to me). She taked old (soda) liter bottles and she freezes them in her freezer every night. In the am, she placed each one next to her roses, other brushes and planters as the ice in the bottle melts, it waters her plants!
that is an awesome idea! just wish I had more room in my freezer!
Me too.I saw your ticker.Are you a member of the weight loss thread here on the board?I am.Lost 92 pounds.Great thread.I never have extra room in the freezer seems like.I do freeze 2 ice cream containers at all times for in case we run out,it will get us by a few days.Or if the power goes out,god forbid,I can put a 12 volt fan over them and be cooler.Anyway,good luck and stay cool.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by clarinet87
I generally hate cliches like this, but I'm in St Louis, and I don't know about other places, but it's really not just the heat, it's the humidity! It feels like you're walking through a swimming pool outside here!
can't cope with humidity------killing, but this tip has worked for me as well as hanging damp sheets .