Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
rag quilting... >

rag quilting...

rag quilting...

Old 07-28-2011, 01:34 PM

Make rag quilts if that makes you happy. I started out making baby quilts out of panels and rag quilts. Then i added string quilts, now i make all kinds of quilts. But i still make rag quilts because my family loves them and you can relieve a lot of stress while you are snipping...Lol.

Do what you enjoy. Life is too short not to be happy.

Happy quilting.
Pamela
Old 07-28-2011, 01:56 PM

I'm back to doing traditional quilting, but did raggy quilting for a couple of years. I still love them, because when you're finished, you're finished! So, if that is what you want to do, then do so.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:07 PM

Everyone is good at something and if rag quilts if for you then go for it you may even come up with some new look. Relax and be happy. Sue
Old 07-28-2011, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Lorettan
so i tried patchwork...not good.i even tried half square triangles and it just didn't come out right.. i just don't get it. it's very frustrating. i think i really need to stick with what i enjoy..rag quilting with just solid shapes...squares, rectangles.so i thought, i guess it's ok if i rag quilt exclusively....what's wrong with that?
Definitely no problem with that - probably 80% of my quilts are rag quilts. I love them.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:04 PM

Love rag quilts! I have made 2 so far and I really like doing them too.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:05 PM

Rag quilts are wonderful. Do what you enjoy making. If you get bored, try something different for a while but if you love rag quilts that is what you should make.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:06 AM

Sounds good! I have the same issue! I have tho, as of a couple of days ago bagun to try to piece a double wedding ring quilt for my nephew and fiancee' wedding present I hope I can have the patience it takes... My Grandma would be proud! She made one for each of us! Happy quilting!
Mary Jo.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:54 PM

I love making rag quilts!! Do what feels comfortable. My children love their rag quilts!
Old 08-02-2011, 08:55 PM

Sorry I have taken so long to respond. I have been doing inventory at work. I have found applique to work real well on the rag quilts. I choose my patterns from several sources. I browse on line for pictures or words (I like to personalize the baby quilts) or I will use a quilt templet for the design. To apply I can use a fusible stabilizer, then just apply with a zig zag stitch around the edge. You can stitch in about half a inch from the edge on some designs and clip it like the rest. Here is one I helped my granddaughters make for there mom...
Attached Thumbnails attachment-235686.jpe  
Old 08-03-2011, 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by Marshalea
Sorry I have taken so long to respond. I have been doing inventory at work. I have found applique to work real well on the rag quilts. I choose my patterns from several sources. I browse on line for pictures or words (I like to personalize the baby quilts) or I will use a quilt templet for the design. To apply I can use a fusible stabilizer, then just apply with a zig zag stitch around the edge. You can stitch in about half a inch from the edge on some designs and clip it like the rest. Here is one I helped my granddaughters make for there mom...
awesome! yes, thats what i plan on doing next!