Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Do you have an "artistic tempermant" about your quilting? >
  • Do you have an "artistic tempermant" about your quilting?

• Do you have an "artistic tempermant" about your quilting?

Old 08-04-2011, 08:00 PM

From little on I was always being told I didn't do this or that right. I would never get right. When I started making quilts people, would look at them and say they were beautiful and that they wished they could do that. It helped me a lot but I still have a problem, trying to show anything, I make. One of these days I will suprise everyone. LOL!
    Old 08-04-2011, 10:18 PM

I don't think an artist no matter what their chosen field can be stifled. No matter how many jobs I had not in the design [art field] I still sewed, quilted, wrote. You take criticsm as a measure of your work, think about it, don't let it get you down, and keep on with your work. It's part of the learning process you use to move ever upward in your craft. It helps to have people out side your mind who can tell you how the real world sees your work.
    Quilting as a business is a lot more complicated than quilting for friends, raffles, and charities. There are even business and legal forms for crafts.
    Nobody can live your life but you, freedom of choice is always yours. Good luck and happy quilting
    Old 08-04-2011, 10:44 PM

I have a friend who made a quilt for which she purchased a pattern & quilt shop fabrics & threads. She was offered $500 and was so excited. The she realized she now had to pay a LA to quilt it & buy batting..... Lady then wanted to order another quilt to her own specs for $500. When friend added it all up she cleared a few bucks, but nothing really much for her time and utilities.
    My SIL says I should sell my work. I took it as a compliment though that would take the fun out of it. I mostly sew for self, gifts & charity.
    Old 08-05-2011, 09:15 AM

I love to have feedback on my things, but this is something I do to relieve stress in my life. I did a small side business many years back sewing stuffed little animals with clothes and crafts like that. First I learned that people want quality but will not pay for your time and non-material buying people do not understand how they can get a fabric purse/blanket/etc. at Walmart for $near free$$ and you cannot make it for less. Right now I am making and selling the wonderful totes but they are at my leisure (because I am saving for my dream sewing machine) and I will not do it for free, provide fabric or pay for half the materials, etc. to make the item and not make at least something.
    Old 08-05-2011, 04:25 PM

My quilting is a hobby but for some people it is a business. I think there is room in this world for both and is each persons choice. I think personally I would not have the joy if I quilted as a business. Just me :D :D :D
    Old 08-05-2011, 04:54 PM
    Dee

I don't mind opinions and advice, but when you're done go and leave me alone to my creations.
    Old 08-06-2011, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by AlwaysQuilting
    I definitely do NOT have an artistic temperment. I also, like you said, can sort of wing this and that on my quilts but I cannot think up a brand new technique or pattern as the published quilters are able to do. That to me is artistic. Without finding a pattern that I like which was created by someone else, I cannot get started.
    And so many of the people who I know (and who've have never made a quilt) tell me to turn it into a business. They don't have a clue. I'm very slow at getting a quilt done and none of my quilts would ever win a ribbon etc. There are minor things that others would "fix" but I don't. My quilts are good enough to be used and loved and dragged around by children etc. Not "business" quality but definitely "love" quality.
    I am with you on that one Nardine. I prefer to do my thing and get patterns from some one elses genius
    Old 08-06-2011, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by AlwaysQuilting
    I definitely do NOT have an artistic temperment. I also, like you said, can sort of wing this and that on my quilts but I cannot think up a brand new technique or pattern as the published quilters are able to do. That to me is artistic. Without finding a pattern that I like which was created by someone else, I cannot get started.
    And so many of the people who I know (and who've have never made a quilt) tell me to turn it into a business. They don't have a clue. I'm very slow at getting a quilt done and none of my quilts would ever win a ribbon etc. There are minor things that others would "fix" but I don't. My quilts are good enough to be used and loved and dragged around by children etc. Not "business" quality but definitely "love" quality.
    I am with you on that one Nardine. I prefer to do my thing and get patterns from some one elses genius
    Old 08-06-2011, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by sewgarden
    Mothers calling Thursday wanting a custom wedding gown for their precious daughter by Saturday morning with no clue why I refused.
    We solved the time-of-delivery problem by having a day-at-a-glance wall calendar under the words "Orders placed today will be ready after". We also had a visual chart with the orders that were already in-house. If they were still interested we put the possible date right on their signed receipt.

Originally Posted by LisaGibbs
    people do not understand how they can get a fabric purse/blanket/etc. at Walmart for $near free$$ and you cannot make it for less.
    We solved this problem by having a quality item we made next to a mass produced item. If asked why the difference in price, we'd point out the difference in workmanship.
    Old 08-08-2011, 07:42 PM

Let them talk, take the advise you do like and dismiss the parts of it that you don't want to do. Do what you want. I don't have anyone wanting me to turn quilting into a business...but I know the feeling of having an older sister that feels the need to constantly "give advise". She not only does it to me, but her children and it drives us all crazy. She always has a better way than your way.

I have learned...don't argue, don't agree, don't try to explain or justify why I do some things a certain way. I usually just say hmmmm or "really", she walks off happy thinking she has really helped me and I ignore the parts of her advise that I have no intention of doing. Since I have used this process, I am happier. She usually forgets about the discussion and it does not cause the conflicts when we argue our opinions.

When you turn a hobby into a business, it can take the fun away especially when you are not making enough money for your time. We all need something to get our minds free and even when I am frustrated over mistakes (I am a champion ripper), quilting is my release from life's little challenges.

I have had people want to pay me to make a quilt. When I start telling the going price for fabric and longarm prices not counting my time, that usually short circuits the conversation. Quilting is relaxing to me and that is why I don't sell my quilts. I do give away children and baby quilts and some lap quilts and a couple of bed quilts. I don't want the pressure of deadlines, misunderstandings, collecting payment and dealing with crazy people. I also do not want to spend time building a business when I could be quilting. Unless you design or write books, I would think it would be hard to make money making quilts. I would give you a quilt before I would sell one and get less than the value of materials and my time.

Your Dad and Sister both probably mean well and truly think they are "helping" you. Only you can make the decisions that are right for you. Got a baby quilt to rip apart..sewed a row upside down and did not notice until I was putting last border on. ^%$@#%&* Hope this book helps you. The End.