Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Dispelling Myths about Quilts of Valor >

Dispelling Myths about Quilts of Valor

Dispelling Myths about Quilts of Valor

Old 08-11-2011, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by njgrl4evr
THANK YOU Andi for this.
I have been making QOV's for 5 years and have heard so many things about QOV's that were simply NOT true.
The one thing that always sticks in my mind about QOV's is that they are NOT charity quilts, they are AWARDS to our military men & women for a job very well done.
That's exactly how I feel too--they are a gift of gratitude from our hearts for what they have endured on our behalf. I recently received a note of thanks from a recipient, and like someone stated, that's kinda rare. But it was such a heartfelt note, as he talked about what he had been through and the struggles to get his life back in order after his injuries instead of turning to alcohol. He praised a Vietnam Vet for running a business which hired our wounded vets. He closed by saying he would frame our pictures (mine and the LAs) and the letter I wrote so that his children and grandchildren would always know that angels really do exist in this world. I'm so glad that I sent him the very best I could do. But I must say, I want to do somethings for Soldiers Angels too! I love what I have read on their site. There are many places to honor our troops.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:33 PM

It seems a wonderful way to honour your servicemen. When you explain it so clearly I can't see why anyone would have a problem with the rules. They seem like nothing compared to what the service men and women go through! Keep up the great work.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:44 PM
Power Poster

Thank you for the post. I've also stepped into some of the conversations on the board to point out that each organization has the right to make its own rules, and this is a very worthwhile organization.

Perhaps, though, the requirement for not doing only SITD should be stated differently? I have done "only SITD" several times - along each and every seam in a log cabin, with 1" logs, so those quilts were quite densely quilted. SITD does not mean stitching only in the seams that join blocks! The requirement could be stated as having quilting dense enough for the type of batting used. The way the requirement is stated just doesn't make sense from a construction point of view.

Sorry if this point has already been made. I haven't read all the other comments yet.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by dunster
Thank you for the post. I've also stepped into some of the conversations on the board to point out that each organization has the right to make its own rules, and this is a very worthwhile organization. erhaps, though, the requirement for not doing only SITD should be stated differently? I have done "only SITD" several times - along each and every seam in a log cabin, with 1" logs, so those quilts were quite densely quilted. SITD does not mean stitching only in the seams that join blocks! The requirement could be stated as having quilting dense enough for the type of batting used. The way the requirement is stated just doesn't make sense from a construction point of view.
Sorry if this point has already been made. I haven't read all the other comments yet.
Dunster, good point. If using small pieces and/or blocks, STID would perhaps be quilted densely enough to satisfy the requirements. Thanks ~ Chris
Old 08-11-2011, 06:55 PM

I have a question about the quilts......the postage to send them to ? (and that too, where to send them?) I have a couple made, and some more started, but I keep thinking that to mail them is gonna cost a LOT as they get heavy, esp if you have more than one to send.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:11 PM

According to the QOVF site, you can contact the national organization for a destination for your quilt(s). It's your responsibility to pay the postage to get them to their destination.

You also can give them locally, which would save postage costs. The QOVF site gives you some very good help as to how to find someone locally to present to. Once a quilt has been presented locally, you can report it on the Web site so it is included in the total count of QOVs.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by 4dogs
I have a question about the quilts......the postage to send them to ? (and that too, where to send them?) I have a couple made, and some more started, but I keep thinking that to mail them is gonna cost a LOT as they get heavy, esp if you have more than one to send.
You can find info on this on the QOV website:

http://www.qovf.org/content/destinations.html

My group mostly awards these locally. We work through our county Veteran's Assistance office. If you can't find local recipients, and don't want or can't afford to mail them, you may want to check with your state coordinator. They may be able to help you find recipients or with shipping options. You can find a map here and click on your state:

http://www.qovf.org/content/rc-map-page.html

If you want to go through the Destination Coordinator on the website and need to mail them, but don't want to incur the cost yourself, how about asking the local American Legion or VFW or a service organization in your town for a donation? Most are happy to help when you explain the program.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:12 PM

Andi thanks for the clear and reasonable explanation. A QOV quilt is something everyone could be proud to contribute to.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by bearlea
As a mom who lost her son in Iraq almost 6 years ago I take my hat off to all of you that make quilts for QOV....on eo fmy sons friends received one of the quilts when he was hit with shrapmill...and you are right about the quilts needing more washing then alot of regular quilts...these men and women use these quilts as a comfort in times of difficutly to get through each day...I totally agree with the guidelines and I believe they are set there for excellent reasons..thank you for clearing up some of the negative responses of QOV...and I agree with you also..if your hearts not in it find another organization that can best use your help...as America brought home 30 men this week that were killed in Afganistan I can't help but think that there are 30 families that would have rather their sons have received A Quilt of Valor instead of a folded flag....I would have....blessings
Well said. My heart hurts for you, and all who have walked in your shoes...I wish there was never a need for another folded flag...and I truly thank all of our service people, and their families...
Old 08-12-2011, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by Kairos Dan
As a vetran I thank you and all who help in this task, as a Vietnam vet, we didn't get much thanks or respect. It's very nice to see things have changed.
Actually, it is I who thank you, and all of our soldiers, for what you have done, are doing, and will do for us...my uncle was a Vietnam vet, and what you say is unfortunately very true...and very sad...