Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
♥ What quilting classes have you taken at Local Quilt Shops, Quilt Shows, Quilt Retreats? >

♥ What quilting classes have you taken at Local Quilt Shops, Quilt Shows, Quilt Retreats?

♥ What quilting classes have you taken at Local Quilt Shops, Quilt Shows, Quilt Retreats?

Old 08-21-2011, 08:41 AM

3 Civil War BOM classes w/lecture; constantly learning about quilting and history. One still in progress
Techniques class; learned how to make a quilt using QAYG method and tons of new stitches and manipulting fabric to make designs
CW class
Scrap Therapy class making blazing star quilt
Hearts of Valor quilt
appliqueing w/wool
quilting fabric to make upline jacket

Famous;
Libby Lehman using thread play and Normal Cambell; two from her Purple Posies and TATW and Mary Lou McDonald from the Balitmore Album Society; this was a hand applique class.
I have to admit; I have enjoyed and learned so much from each class that I have taken
Taking in September:
Hand applique class and tumbling monkeys quilt
Old 08-21-2011, 08:59 AM

I took one on machine quilting.

Just need to practice.... practice and more practice.

I am working on a lap quilt that will be one of my practice pieces.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:53 AM

Took a beginner class in Florida and made Yellow Brick Road. Took FMQ class last year. The rest I have done on my own.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:59 AM

I have attended Empty Spools seminars in Asilomar in Pacific Grove five years and taken from Alex Anderson, Margaret Mitchell, Vivian Johnson and several other well known quilters. Pacific Grove, right next to Carmel is a lovely vacation area with great scenery and great meals as well. It runs for 5 days each session but has become rather pricey , so I would call it a vacation with quilts. But absolutely inspirational.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:13 AM

If I would have taken more classes I wouldn't have had to learn so much by doing it WRONG!
Old 08-21-2011, 10:17 AM
Bev

Originally Posted by Sewflower
Went to a quilt fest in Tenn. this past March. Took a hand quilting class from Cindy Blackberg and a class from Bonnie Hunter. Bonnie is a wonderful instructor and would reccommend her to anyone from beginning to advance.
One of my wishes is to have a class with Bonnie Hunter. The other wish would be to have a class with Gwen Marston. I think I'd toss Freddy Moran into the mix with Gwen. They're both great! 8-)
Old 08-21-2011, 11:09 AM

I just got into quilting in January, and have taken several classes. Because I am waiting for my old Singer to be repaired, my very first project isn't finished yet. But, I keep taking classes. I love to try things out...always have...and quilting isn't any different.
Beginning Quilting (eight classes over a 4 month period) This class was super! piecing, sampler blocks, 9 square blocks, rail blocks, setting triangles, bias making, paper piecing, flying geese, sandwich making, binding, appliques and stitch in the ditch quilting.
Free Motion Quilting
Hand Quilting
Double Wedding Ring wallhanging
Beginning Landscape quilting
Clothesline rope bowl
I will be taking a cute fall applique table runner class next month.
What fun! :D
Old 08-21-2011, 11:53 AM

I haven't taken any classes from famous teachers. But I have taken a beginners class & then a twisted star class, but the most fun I have had was doing a monthly strip poker class.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:35 PM

I took online classes from Jenny Doan from Missouri Star
Quilt Co.
Since I am a beginner, I found them easy to follow and
instruction that I could understand.
They are great to refer to when you want to go back to
something that you can't rememberand need a refresher
course.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:44 PM

I took the class for the Mariner's Compass that is my Avatar. I took a beginning quilter class from the same LQS. I found with both that classes are meant as an introduction, and then you bring it home and have to figure it out.

I think a good starter class would cover beginning to end, with extra sessions (at extra cost) offered if necessary.