Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting injury >

Quilting injury

Quilting injury

Old 08-25-2011, 01:11 PM

Pam H It took close to a year to more or less unfreeze my shoulder. I would cry when the chiropractor would lift the shoulder blade. It was so painfu,. I cut my hair short because I could not life my arm. They did massage that was also a bit painful to the area. It was a hard lesson learned and I don't over do it anymore and I take breaks!
Old 08-25-2011, 01:58 PM

I had a frozen shoulder several years ago. I went to a lot of PT and it just wasn't getting any better. I have a rare autoimmune disease that made my muscles very weak. They finally decided to do a "manipulation" on my shoulder. They put me under and literally broke it loose. The worst part was having to go to PT again the day of the surgery and almost everyday after for a couple of weeks. It worked I have full range of motion and no pain now. It was my left shoulder and I think I strained it because I was so weak I used to have to push myself to a standing position with that arm, especially in the bathroom. At one point durring the early stages of my illness I was literaly lifting my left leg out of the car with both arms when I drove.
Old 08-25-2011, 02:32 PM

We bought an old desk at a garage sale and cut a hole the size of the sewing machine in the spot I wanted and it is working great. I am just using a folding chair and it all seem to be the right height and i can work a long time without trouble.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:01 PM

what helped me was tipping the sewing machine forward. i use two rubber door stops to tip it with
Old 08-25-2011, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
For the last few weeks, while I've been FMQing, my neck and shoulders have been sooo tight and stiff. I just got back from the chiropractor and man what a difference!!! He adjusted both sides of my neck, left shoulder, and mid thoracic.

He asked me "what the heck have you been doing to cause this tightness!!". I said quilting.

He said "you mean like little old ladies do?"

"Watch it buster!! I resemble that remark!!"

I really need to fix my quilting setup. My machine is far too high. I just raised my chair and tried a few lines and it's not good enough.
When you figure out the right setup please tell my neck and back. :P
Old 08-25-2011, 05:17 PM

I heard about using the large exercise ball to sit on to sew/quilt. I have also found that sitting on the exercise ball and "walking" forward, then letting my head lay back (like looking up to ceiling) really helps my neck and back when it gets tight from quilting. I learned the ball trick from my chiropractor!
Old 08-25-2011, 07:57 PM

I take yoga classes twice a week and the stretching seems to help. I had a massage once and that really helps -- wish I could afford it regularly.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:09 PM

My cute chiropractor said my "atlas" was off. I told him I thought an atlas was a book with maps. Because my neck and shoulders were hurting He asked what I had been doing and when I said "playing with my material", he just laughed and said..."well, try to sit up straighter". haha He did work on my neck and shoulders though and it felt so much better.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:02 PM

When we moved into our new house hubby made it a priority to set up my new sewing room first. For a table he used a sheet of 3/4 inch plywood, covered with mactac (remember that stuff) and added edging to finish it off. He placed this on two sawhorses bought at Homedepot. I had my doubts but it did turn out really good. Table is right height for me I am 5/1. The foot pedal is up on a box.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by Divokittysmom
I feel your pain, literally!! I have been asked the same question by 2 different chiropractors... what are you doing to cause this much damage to your body??? Can you limit the time you sew to maybe just 30- 45 mins.... As I am ROFLOL at the last remark.. I am certain, he hasn't met many quilters lately!!!

My chair is as high as it can go and is very comfortable and supportive, I use 2 heavy duty banquet tables for my sewing tables, and I love all the room they afford. Both chair and table are pefect... but not for me!!
Problem:Banquet tables are too high, the amount that could be cut off the legs isn't going to help me much. I can't drop the machines into the table because of the leg structure underneath. I have been searching everywhere for the 'perfect' table height but so far haven't found one that works for me. I love all the room on my banquet tables and love my chair.... gee, obviously the problem is ME! :lol:
I am watching this topic with interest... hope someone has a great idea on how to match, chair to table, to machine to person!:lol: Hope that makes sense!