Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What Was Your Worst Injury While Quilting?

What Was Your Worst Injury While Quilting?

I have a habit of nicking myself with my rotary cutter. Never needed stitches, thank goodness, but it hurts!! The klutz gloves are way to large for my hands, so they won't work for me. (I wear a child's extra large or adult extra small gloves). I've also stuck myself with pins and needles. Occasional burns from the iron. I guess I need to be more careful!

What was your worst injury?
    Anita

The only place that housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I've sewn through my finger multiple times.

When I was quilting professionally on my Bernina 1530, I would get a lower backache from not taking breaks that I knew I should. Always deadlines!! don't miss THAT anymore. I have time finally to work on charity quilts at my own pace!!
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Blog Entries
    I was bent over the table cutting strips.
    As I tried to stand up straight my back went out.

I had to call in to take the day off from work.
    "I won't be in today. I hurt myself quilting."

"Really? Did the dog eat your homework, too?"

LOL LOL LOL
    I Quilt, I Nap, I Quilt Some More ... Aaaaah, The Good Life!

for Newsletter or Digest issues, please contact [email protected]

To contact me with questions or suggestions that relate to our community, you may email [email protected]

Severe Rotar Cuff pain, could not even lift my arm. Had to get a shot in shoulder. Took several weeks to heel. Too much cutting and sewing!!

Blog Entries
    had a few, twice cut the tip off my finger, sewed thru my finger and had to pick up the machine to unplug to dis engage and then replug it in to get the needle out of my finger. blood all over the place. also cut my toe to the bone when putting in a new blade and dropped it on my toes. One of theos finger nicks...cut the tip of the bone off left index finger (at work in an embroidery machine co), what a MESS, blood all over!!!
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Blog Entries
    oh years ago, I was sewing all day into the night to finish a suit I was making for a boyfriend. the iron was
    very hot. I ironed my finger till the knuckle turned black. I still have that scare, that was when I was 18, now i'm 55 (in a few days)
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Tried to cut off the tip of my left index finger with a rotary cutter. Fingernail is still wonky and little sensation in the tip.
    Have a great day sewing and remember to "not sweat the small stuff"!!

Cut my index finger with the cutter. DH wanted to take me to the ER, but I told him to just wrap it tight with gauze and tape. He didn't think it would heal, but it did. The cut was almost to my nail, and I knew there wasn't going to be any stitches in the finger. No room. LOL
    Love to quilt and play with the great grandkids

Power Poster
    Sewing machine needle through my finger. Gave myself a manicure with the rotary cutter but no blood was involved.

"What was your worst injury?" A thinner wallet!!

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    My worst injury came while I owned the shop. We all often picked up bolts of fabric with one hand by the end of the bolt. This produced a repetitive injury common among shop owners/employees that was just like tennis elbow. When I realized both my arms hurt most of the time, I trained my staff to pick up bolts in a "hug" motion, rather than with fingers and palm. A friend who owned Quilt Country in Lewisville, TX, was in a sling for months due to this injury. It hurts for a long time and rest seems to be the main treatment!

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Blog Entries
    Other than cutting off a finger nail been very lucky? My worst injury I suppose was to my brain. Too many quilts to try and make not enough time or fabric panic.
    Finished is better than a UFO

I had the single hole face plate in the machine and without thinking set the machine to a zigzag stitch. The needle hit the plate, shattered, and lodged in my face right next to my eye.

There have been some burns (colloidal silver), and rotary cuts, but the needle was the scariest!

From the competitive use of sewing and using my rotary cutter I now have to have carpal tunnel surgery on my right hand sometime this summer. But I asked the doctor, would it still be alright for me to sew after the surgery in a splint on my hand? He just looked at and smiled. I am trying to get as much of my cutting, piecing, sewing done now.
    "Our deeds determine us as much as we determine our deeds" George Eliot

Blog Entries
    I cut my left thumb, it bled for four hours. went to ER and sat another hour. By the time I saw anyone, it had stopped. they used the most ingenious contraption to put gause on my thumb. (a nurse invented it). I did have to get a metal guard to wear on my finger at work because I'd cut some nerves.

Blog Entries
    dropped my rotary cutter on my foot and of course I was barefoot. So much blood, it was awful.

I find quilting to be reasonably safe. But, just the other day somehow a needle that wasn't near the sewing area, flipped up in the air at a fast rate of speed and hit me in the eye. Lucky I had my glasses on. Whew!

Blog Entries
    seven stitches to the inch on my left index finger. Emergency room Doc and Nurse and I were laughing and talking so much the the doc said 4 stitches seeyour primary to get them out in one week. Primary said "You have seven stiches here." Oh well!
    Quilter 68 who is now 69/and now 70

Carpal tunnel syndrome in left hand due to rotary cutting. Not the hand using the cutter, but the one steadying the ruller - go figure!

Looks like many of us need the klutz glove! I too have had a rotary cutting mishap. And to many times to count have I sewn my finger or almost sewn. Pulling your finger back quickly and breaking the needle really hurts. My fingers are so caloused that I can't feel when I'm hand sewing them to a project. Doesn't hurt but sure is funny when I do it!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Same here but DH tried to show me how to cut so as not to hurt ones self and did the same thing but he needed stitches. I just glued the end back onto my finger.
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotamaid View Post
    Tried to cut off the tip of my left index finger with a rotary cutter. Fingernail is still wonky and little sensation in the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by ILoveToQuilt View Post
    I have a habit of nicking myself with my rotary cutter. Never needed stitches, thank goodness, but it hurts!! The klutz gloves are way to large for my hands, so they won't work for me. (I wear a child's extra large or adult extra small gloves). I've also stuck myself with pins and needles. Occasional burns from the iron. I guess I need to be more careful!

What was your worst injury?
    Sewn thru my thumb first when I got my machine???

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    My sister walked in on me once when I was doing some hand embroidery. I had a very calloused index finger and had a spare needle stuck in it. At the very top of the callous. She saw that and just about passed out. That is the only finger I don't trim the callouses often.
    Quote Originally Posted by leatheflea View Post
    Looks like many of us need the klutz glove! I too have had a rotary cutting mishap. And to many times to count have I sewn my finger or almost sewn. Pulling your finger back quickly and breaking the needle really hurts. My fingers are so caloused that I can't feel when I'm hand sewing them to a project. Doesn't hurt but sure is funny when I do it!

Sewed right into my finger. Had shoulder bursitis from cutting...finally figured out to use proper height table. Developed big callous from hand quilting (I can relate to the needle in the finger and no blood!). Snip, snip, snip right into the web of my finger...ow. I too have had flying needle pieces that thankfully hit my glasses. Miraculously have never had pins or needles in my feet.

Also recently I FMQ'ed my cutting mat onto the back of my quilt. Not sure why I didn't stop when the wonk-wonk-wonk started, but that's a "brain injury" type problem!
    Lori

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast