Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What Was Your Worst Injury While Quilting?

Hokey Smokes, I now have fear of the dreaded quilt room.
    I feel I need to be knocking on wood and circling the sewing machine three times

Blog Entries
    Me too, to KalamaQuilts above and circling my machine three times. New one for this witchy quilter. I am a stickler for remembering the rules--they are kinda burned into my brain. Maybe that is my worst injury--I have a problem with names anymore.
    Make every day count for something!

JoAnn

I was cleaning my machine while talking on the phone to my niece (my bad), well somehow my foot pushed the pedal down and the hook sliced my forefinger really good. Blood everywhere and it could have stood few stitches but I patched it up, it was sore forever and still have a small scar. I also cut the web on my hand between the thumb and finger when I got my first pair of Ginghers.

I have burned myself with my iron and stuck myself with needles. Also sewing my binding on by hand i sew my finger to the quilt.

Years and years ago when I began sewing on my dressmaker sewing machine, I was so engrossed in sewing I didn't realize that I was so close to the machine until the take up lever for the top thread hit me in the forehead. I wore that knot for several days. Did I learn my lesson? Of course not, I did that several times over the course of years. Thank goodness my Janome has the take up lever behind its little door.

Blog Entries
    Don't quite know how... but cut a "V" into my thumb pad...took 5 stitches... sigh...
    "... let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."

I've cut myself with the rotary cutter several times, burned myself with the iron. But I think the back pain is the worst, although it's not officially a quilting injury.

I had to quilt a 90 x 90 quilt in one day....towards the end....at 10PM I was FMQ and my left finger was too close, I sewed through my finger on the fleshy part, thank goodness it did not go through the nail or bone....THIS WAS TWO DAYS AGO. I STILL FEEL STUPID ABOUT IT.

Sewn through my Right index finger with 2 different machines (FW and LA) and once through my Left ( I became one with my machines ) - no major damage and no blood in the quilts involved. Once cut my right thumb with the rotary cutter and needed several stitches.

I split my needles and thought I picked them up with my handy magnetic (thing a ma gig) it has a handle on it . Any way a couple weeks later I punctured my left foot and I found a needle on the floor. My foot continued to hurt and I checked it out I saw a spot where I punctured it. Couldn't find any thing,just figured it just hurt.21/2 months later I figured Ide better get it checked out.My foot really hurt and it was a tade bit swollen.DR looked and couldn't find any thing but decided to take an ex ray. Well I had a needle in my foot in the meaty area closer to toes.I was sent to foot Dr and he had to do surgery to remove the needle.12,000 thousand dollars later and still healing I will always wear shoes in my sewing room.The needle was lodged between two spaces in one of the sm bones by my middle toe. Please wear shoes. There easier to wear than an ugly boot.

Sounds like we've all had our share of "owies"!
    Anita

The only place that housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary.

I tried to add a bit of myself to a quilt for the grandson and sewed through my finger. It didnt really hurt, but the needle broke into 4 pieces, leaving one piece sticking out and 2 deep in the flesh. After becoming infected, an xray, and then a visit to the surgeon to cut out the biggest piece I am left with no scars, but still have 1 tiny piece in the finger. But grandson loves his quilt and that makes me happy.

Blog Entries
    While adjusting the fabric under the needle my baby sister stepped on the gas peddle and the needle went through the middle of my thumb nail. The needle jammed and my Mom had to take the needle and me off and then she had to pull the needle out of my thumb- I passed out but in my defense I was 8 months pregnant. I actually felt like crap for scaring my sister so bad. It took 30 years before she would go near a sewing machine. Now she loves to sew.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2