Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
OMG!  Somebody call me the Waaahhhhmbulance!!!!!! >

OMG! Somebody call me the Waaahhhhmbulance!!!!!!

OMG! Somebody call me the Waaahhhhmbulance!!!!!!

Old 08-29-2011, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by LLWinston44
OMG I'm just sick!!! My sewing machine (Baby Lock Elizabeth, an infant at just 4ish months old!!) is sick!!!!!

I'm fairly new to sewing and I have no idea what I did other than to use some other thread other than the Aurifil that I've been using.

I went to my LQS to ask what a thread was that was in some hand me down sewing supplies. They said it was what they USED to sell (I can't remember the brand) until they learned how 'not good' it was. I told them I was making baskets and that I didn't want to use the Aurifil on it, being that its so expensive, and they said go for it, try that stuff.

Well, I did. It did seem to be having a hard time "pulling" the thread through, but I thought it was because it was a huge spool and that maybe it was having to pull it harder so I kept trying to set the spool at an easier position.

Then, the basket was done and I was just working on some practice FMQ and suddenly it locked up! I got everything out, redid all the thread, ran it for a second and it did it again. I decided it was the thread, pulled it out, put the Aurifil back in and now it's just locked. Can't even turn the wheel!!!!!

I am SOOOOOOOO upset!! I'll call the dealer tomorrow and hope that it's still under warranty. I'm so so sad!

Besides the issue...... I can't imagine that I'll be UNABLE to sew for who knows how long!!!!!! UGH!!
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
I will not use thread that I don't know the approximate age of. Just not worth the trouble you can get into.
Old 08-29-2011, 02:09 PM

You machine is too new for the shaft to be stuck. I would bet if you took the schuttle apart, that there is thread caught in there.

I was going to suggest to take the needle out put your hand under the shaft and push up and then clean the shaft...but it's just too new to be dirty, so I am betting it's a thread or it's a lemon lol......
Old 08-29-2011, 03:03 PM

DO NOT BLOW INTO THE MACHINE!! The Baby Lock dealer I got my machine's from told us that is the worst thing you can do with these newer electronic machines. It lets some of the fuzz get into electronic parts and can do some serious damage. I hope your dealer will work with you and show you the correct way to clean out the bobbin area. I take off the face plate and remove the complete bobbin assembly then really clean out the area with a fluffy make-up brush. If you bought your machine new, you should have a good warrenty from Baby Lock. Good luck.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by hopetoquilt
CLEAN OUT THE BOBBIN AREA. Cheap thread builds alot of lint in the bobbin area and other areas. I have a babylock quilter's choice and that was the problem.
As stated above, cheap thread makes alot of lint. Also, is it one of the spools that has a small slit in it where you "start" it from when you first use the thread? It may be a matter of turning the thread over so that it does not get caught in this slit as it comes off the spool.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by LLWinston44
I did clean in the bobbin area, and there was a lot of fuzz, but that didn't seem to change anything. I've blown in any area I could and still. Whatever is wrong seems really really wrong.... the free wheel is very very hard to turn, and really just feels tight and 'stuck'... Now I've got her in the bag and I'm heading up there first thing in the morning. :o(
I was told to never blow air into the bobbin area of a sewing machine as it can force lint and threads further into crevices. Hope you find a solution-this would make me a little ill not being able to figure it out.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:36 PM

I"m sorry about your machine. I know how disheartening it is. My Brother broke down, would only move the needle a small distance up and down. I took it apart and found that my small children (2 and 4) had dropped a small metal nail file inside the machine. I thought it was broken for good. Hope yours is fixed as easy.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:41 PM

Wow. Learned a lot of good info from you guys!!! I have a feeling I'm going to feel pretty stupid when I get her back. I'm glad they gave me a loaner, but it's so hard to get used to!! Two weeks! Arugh!!! Know what I miss the most? The thread cutter! Lol
Old 08-29-2011, 07:50 PM

Don't feel stupid. My ex-machine (long story) locked like that once and the problem was not the thread at all. You mentioned that it locked while you were doing FMQ. What happened to mine was that I was moving the fabric faster than the needle was moving and it messed up the timing of the machine. It can be fixed, but not by everyone. Modern machines are wonderful with all the bells and whistles, but with those comes a new set of problems. Hope you get your machine back soon.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:59 PM
Power Poster

Oh I hate that thought of not being able to use my machine for any period of time even if I'm not planning on using it soon. Just knowing I cann't use it if it is sick or away being repaired is so upsetting. I feel for you.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:49 PM

Hope it's something simple and you're sewing again soon.