Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What do you do when you read a post? >

What do you do when you read a post?

What do you do when you read a post?

Old 08-30-2011, 08:29 AM

"ditto" to belmer's comment. Especially like seeing the sewing room pics, to get ideas of what I could do to improve mine.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:31 AM

It depends on the seriousness of the post and if I have any personal knowledge/experience with the situation.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:37 AM

I read the Thread and browse the first page. If I am interested in the subject, I read all the pages. I look at all the pictures but not the comments. Usually don't post answers to quilting questions but will post to general topics like this one. There is only so much time in a day.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:44 AM

It depends on the subject. I especially like to comment if I need an answer to the same question posed. I don't comment very often on the pictures because someone has already said what I would say. Sometimes I read to the end, sometimes not.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:47 AM

I like to read as many of other peoples posts as possible before I respond. If there are lots of replies I often don't add my 2 cents.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:08 AM

If a post has more than three or four pages of replies, I figure someone else has already said what I might say. For shorter page counts, I read the first two or three pages then comment.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:12 AM

Depends on the post. If my response pertains strictly to me, I often respond before I read all. If it's how or where questions, I read the responses first, so I don't repeat information, advice, or opinion.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by #1piecemaker
When you read a post, do you start reading everyone's replys or do you scroll straight to the bottom to put your two cents worth in? Me? I scroll!!

In response to your question, see #4.

1. If I'm looking at a project and want to tell the person how much I like his/her quilt, I just post. Sometimes scroll.

2. If the person asks a question, I always read the posts. A pet peeve of mine is that so many people answer the question without checking to see if anyone else has answered it first.

3. If I want to ask the author a question, I always read the posts to see if anyone has already asked my question. Usually the answer is there and I don't have to bother the author of the post and have them repeat themselves.

4. If someone is looking for an opinion, I post before I read the other answers so I can be honest. Then, go back and read the other posts.

5. If I'm in a browsing mood, just jump around and enjoy what the ladies and gentlemen have to say!!!

Since I read through entire threads more than the average person, I find that a lot of people do not scroll through to see if the questions have been answered. Likewise, posters will ask the same question that had been answered on page 2 and they are posting on page 4. Yikes! it doesn't take that long to scroll through through a few pages. TIP: Look at the picture of the author of the thread. Next, scroll through and look for their pic again. They usually are answering some question or making additions to the original message. Saves the author time, it gets the new poster their answer quicker, and it saves time for the rest of us who actually read the posts. Giggle - not discouraging posts, please post away! I am not qualified to throw the first stone. Just sayin......
Old 08-30-2011, 11:08 AM

I usually read some of the replys, if I have anything different to add I will, if not I just go to the next post.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:09 PM

Depends on the topic, but for the most part I read them all as I've learned so much from the talented folks on this board.

If it is a question then I usually scroll and try to answer, that is if I even know the answer.

If it is about a bad experience; an online vendor, then I usually scroll and add my two cents worth.

All around I usually find the information posted to be of real value and I like that a lot.