My feral cats.

Old 08-31-2011, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by sarahconner
I love and adore cats. yours are so pretty. Here is a pic of my 11 yr old, indoor, male part Maine Coon kitty. He weighs about 20lbs.
Thanks for showing us your handsome guy!
Old 08-31-2011, 06:06 PM

[quote=tomilu]
Originally Posted by chris_quiltsTomilu; She brought them because she knows they're safe and taken care of and that you are a rescuer of animals (and vintage sewing machines.) Chris[/quote
Thanks, Chris. Our family has been rescuing animals back four generations. Must be in the genes.
You're welcome and it's true. DH swears we have a sign in our yard that we will feed and adopt strays because 2 of our current animals came to us that way. We live in the suburbs on the west edge of town near fields so suspect they were dumped. No matter, we love them and gave them forever homes.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:14 PM

Aw, what an angel!
Old 08-31-2011, 06:16 PM
Power Poster

I now have two feral cats, males, one is 15 YO other is 10 YO, Took them in young, they are use to us, oldest still get frightened by loud, noises, and both afraid of storms. 10YO was barely 6 weeks old and weighed 1 LB - 10 OZ.s when I found him at work. Daughter and I rigged up a cage with food and string tied to door, I trapped 4 others that way. He had a sibling, almost caught pneumonia trying to catch it, no such luck. I have 4 cats all together, all males, all neutered, all four feet declawed. They are never allowed outside. I am turning my head and not taking in anymore cats or dogs. Getting too old to take care of them.
You are that take in pets are great.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:38 PM

i love all kinds of cats have 2 feral ones and 10 indoor only
Old 08-31-2011, 07:13 PM

Thank you for having the feral cats neutered and cared for. I love cats, but letting them run feral is a shame. There are several in our neighborhood who aggravate our two who are indoor cats. They used to be outdoor rat killers but we made them indoor kitties because our neighbor caught them using her flower beds for a potty box (and we like our neighbor). Now they only go outdoors with us, and are both nice cats, tho the are getting older.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:34 PM

About 5 years ago, our GD who was 5 at the time came running into the house and announced, "Grandma, there's kittens in the boat!" A momma cat had gotten into the boat which had a tarp over it and had her kittens. They were big enough to be crawling all over. WE determined there were 4--a tiger, a white with some black spots, and 2 white with tiger stripped spots. In a while the were out of the boat and quite wild. We ended up using a fishing net to catch them and I took them into the house and was able to gate them in a small area while we worked to tame,and litter train them. GD loved that part. I even brought momma in for a visit several times. Happy ending--our grown GD and her husband took 1 of the white/tiger mix and our niece and nephew took the other. We now have Tiger-lilly and Marshmellow and even though my husband isn't a cat lover he has "adapted well". lol
Old 08-31-2011, 07:35 PM

Thank you everyone who takes care of the feral kitties and the pups out there. There are so many furkids out there that has no one to care for them. I admit, I didn't get my first cat fixed fast enough. :oops:She had 3 litters before I got it done. Only good thing I can say is I had 2 of her kittens for 17years before I lost one of them to cancer. The other one is in my lap.

My last little guy, Ingles, was nearly run over in the Ingles grocery parkin lot. Thankfully he wasn't feral. Left the parking lot to the vet for Lukemia check, 2 days later, snip. He wasn't but 4 months old.

Ingles
[ATTACH=CONFIG]249825[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-249819.jpe  
Old 08-31-2011, 07:57 PM

thank you for everyone who takes care of these feral cats, feeding them, TNR, and anything else that can be done to help them. there are so many feral cats, but I strongly believe that it can be cotnrolled if there was more active tnr around and available for everyone. All my cats (7) are rescues and two I know were feral at one time, they are now totally tame. I had a feral cat I fed for 3 years, and he got sick, but 6 months before he disappeared forever, he would bring me a small kitten to feed twice a day. I think it was one of his offspring becuase he was so protective of that little kitten. We now have the kitten inside and he is spoiled rotten, but the feral big boy disappeared and we think he went off to die after he was sure the young one would be taken care of. We looked for him for months, so we don't know what really happed. One of our neighbors could have trapped him, or maybe a coyote got him, but he sure was a welcome site to our house twice a day for 3 years. Would have loved to have made him a part of our home also, but he was definitely an independent old man.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by fratcat
thank you for everyone who takes care of these feral cats, feeding them, TNR, and anything else that can be done to help them. there are so many feral cats, but I strongly believe that it can be cotnrolled if there was more active tnr around and available for everyone. All my cats (7) are rescues and two I know were feral at one time, they are now totally tame. I had a feral cat I fed for 3 years, and he got sick, but 6 months before he disappeared forever, he would bring me a small kitten to feed twice a day. I think it was one of his offspring becuase he was so protective of that little kitten. We now have the kitten inside and he is spoiled rotten, but the feral big boy disappeared and we think he went off to die after he was sure the young one would be taken care of. We looked for him for months, so we don't know what really happed. One of our neighbors could have trapped him, or maybe a coyote got him, but he sure was a welcome site to our house twice a day for 3 years. Would have loved to have made him a part of our home also, but he was definitely an independent old man.
This reminds me of the book "Old Cat and the Kitten" that I used to read to my 5th grade classes. It made me cry every time!