Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Call me dumb, but what is? >
  • Call me dumb, but what is?

• Call me dumb, but what is?

Old 08-31-2011, 01:50 PM

So basically what most of you are saying is keep it consistant unless you are collaborating with someone else? Does this work out even when working on a pattern with points, flying geese etc.? I would love to just use a standard 1/4" as I have a machine that has a default setting and I am forever forgetting to re-adjust when I resume sewing. So many "senior moments", so many seams to rip!
    Old 08-31-2011, 02:15 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by crazyrvquilter
    If you are making all the blocks for yourself, then you can use any size seam you like BUT if you are swapping blocks, PLEASE use a scant quarter inch seam. I have participated in swaps where some of the blocks were unusable because they were much too small. Sewing that scant quarter inch was a real challenge for me but I am happy that I have come closer to mastering it.
    I like the answer from the member who said that she doesn't participate in swaps where a scant 1/4" is required. Smart approach.

Unfortunately, not every block is marked as such and sometimes you don't realize that you can't get to the right size unless you change it up. That's when some people (and yes, I have seen some too) just use their own measurement. Sometimes they can be salvaged, but sometimes those blocks are just a major waste of someone's time.
    Old 08-31-2011, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
    I cant make a STRAIGHT 1/4 in seam- so a scant 1/4 inch is definite not favorable in my lifetime.. !! So scrappy Here I come!!
    I love my quarter inch foot. I wouldn't enjoy piecing near as much without it.
    Old 08-31-2011, 05:12 PM

A 1/4" seam is the bane of my exsistance.
    Old 08-31-2011, 05:44 PM

You are not dumb. We are all works in progress to one degree or another.
    Old 08-31-2011, 05:59 PM

In my opinion...a "scant" quarter inch isn't something you can consistantly find on your machine....there isn't a stitch plate that has "scant quarter inch on it"

Your either swinging your needle or your fabric position etc. And if your off on where your fabric is lined up or your needle has an issue you have no idea where your seam should be.....and how do you measure a thread or 2....what if I used Coats & Clark on one and Aurifil on the next quilt...do I have to re-measure?

I'm of the opinion, that if you measure it right, cut it accurately, then your quilt will go together correctly.

Coming from a IT background I know there are several ways to get to something on your computer. However in the end your still calling up the same basic command in the background when you launch "Internet Explorer" for instance. It's a consistant thing.

So for me and ONLY me and ONLY my opinion. A scant quareter inch isn't something that you can always find on a machine.

But having said all of that...my quilts are to snuggle up with and be loved...none of them are something I would enter into a contest, etc. So 100% accuracy isn't something I'm going to lose any sleep over. :)

P.S. Did I mention this is all MY opinion...cause I know this is an ongoing debate for a lot of people. And I can agree to disagree on this one. :)
    Old 09-01-2011, 02:54 AM

I don't understand why when they made the 1/4" foot they didn't just allow for the thread width. It does make a difference.
    Old 09-01-2011, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by nantucketsue
    I don't understand why when they made the 1/4" foot they didn't just allow for the thread width. It does make a difference.
    The person who writes the directions is trying to cover all bases. Part of the problem is the fabric itself. It's not so obvious with quilting cotton but if you go to other fabrics it's easier to understand.

Compare silk to canvas. OK extreme examples. Imagine sewing three strips of silk together, press to one side. Now imagine doing it with canvas. Measure the width of both. The silk will be wider than the canvas because it doesn't lose as much to the rollover in the fold.
    Old 09-01-2011, 04:55 AM

I agree. But if so many patterns ask for a scant 1/4" you would think someone would design a foot for it.
    Old 09-01-2011, 09:41 AM
    mac

They did, I have one for my Featherweight. It is called a "scant 1/4" foot". Actually, the foot will fit all low shank machines.