Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
If you have read the thread about the quilting machine that was gifted to me...here's a couple of pictures so you will know what one looks like if you don't already. ;) >

If you have read the thread about the quilting machine that was gifted to me...here's a couple of pictures so you will know what one looks like if you don't already. ;)

If you have read the thread about the quilting machine that was gifted to me...here's a couple of pictures so you will know what one looks like if you don't already. ;)

Old 10-13-2011, 06:56 PM

You are one lucky girl.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by BarbM32
I think restrauant gift cards now and then or at home dinners would be great especially if on holidays if he has no family close. Maybe a Christmas gift like a button down the front sweater (old men get cold). You may or maynot realize just how great a gift he's given to you. I recently sold my longarm 15 year old for $2500 and that was cheap in this area. I have not been able to use it since 1998 due to health conditions for it was like new condition.
I did realize the $ amount. That is what I told my friend, this was a dream! I couldn't just run out and spend that much on myself knowing that we have 5 kids that are always needing something. I am very excited about it. ;) They didn't mention anything about her having any left over quilt tops. I will ask my friend and see. I know that she said he has a Dutch Doll quilt on his couch that his wife made, she said she'd love to have it but she figures he covers up with it while he watches t.v.

I talked to my friend earlier today and she said that he likes Cracker Barrel......so I will get him one there. She almost argued with me saying I didn't need to do any kind of gift card but I told her I just felt that I should. She understood but said it wasn't necessary, but I think it is. ;)
Old 10-13-2011, 07:26 PM

I am so happy for you. What with 5 children this will be a blessing when you learn to use it well. Even when you are still in the learning stages remember not to give your work away. Your in-home time is most valuable. Tell your customers you are learning but still must charge something. Been there, done that, and the most happy were the paying ones and this included family who felt theirs should be free. Free do not buy kids food and clothes.
Always make tickets with their name, address, ect, exact size of unit to quilt, price per sq inch or sq foot, if they want you to bind and I did so be sure to include cost for that, the color of backing, color of thread and if you will be using your batting or theirs, write down anything out of the ordinary like whether it has dirt spots, as I said anything, so you cannot be blames. If it is not square then you can square it for additional charge. Also the MOST IMPORTANT THING you should do is check with your insurance about liability for outsiders coming into your home for business purposes. WOULD NOT HURT FOR YOU TO GET ON LINE AND SEE WHAT OTHER LONGARM QUILTERS ARE DOING PRICEWISE AND EVERYTHING ELSE. Happy days are ahead for you, greet each with joy. BarbM32
Old 10-13-2011, 07:33 PM

Happy for you. Please post when you finish your projects.
Another thought, does your friend (his dil) have children? Does he enjoy them? If he does enjoy being around kids maybe having him over some time would be even better than a gift certificate. He might enjoy the opportunity to be around people especially kids can be fun.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:12 PM

You are so blessed.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by starshine
Happy for you. Please post when you finish your projects.
Another thought, does your friend (his dil) have children? Does he enjoy them? If he does enjoy being around kids maybe having him over some time would be even better than a gift certificate. He might enjoy the opportunity to be around people especially kids can be fun.
He sees my friend's son every now and then. She said that he stays busier now than he did before. I told her it may be because he's trying to keep his mind off of her and their grandson they lost. She said....probably.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:14 PM

Wow! You are blessed!
Old 10-14-2011, 06:29 AM

This man has really been wowed with double grief. I have walked that path by burying my father from Cancer and then 3 weeks later my one and only beautiful son was murdered at age 24. That is how come I was enabled to adopt my lovely GD later. Those first two years was the most horrible time of my life. I may not know him but this man will be in my prayers. For any small kindness you do him, it will be noted, maybe not always thanked, but he will bless you in return. Thank you for sharing this with us.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:11 AM

Barb, I cannot imagine! Thank you for praying for him. I think at least on the outer part he is doing quite well with it. Don't know how he is when he is at home or mentally. It has to be draining. I am going to get him the gift card today from Cracker Barrel and send it with something written in a card to him from me. ;)

Originally Posted by BarbM32
This man has really been wowed with double grief. I have walked that path by burying my father from Cancer and then 3 weeks later my one and only beautiful son was murdered at age 24. That is how come I was enabled to adopt my lovely GD later. Those first two years was the most horrible time of my life. I may not know him but this man will be in my prayers. For any small kindness you do him, it will be noted, maybe not always thanked, but he will bless you in return. Thank you for sharing this with us.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:32 AM
RDM

So pleased this machine found a happy home where it will be put to good use.

FREE Quilting Newsletter