Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
She is Mine!! >

She is Mine!!

She is Mine!!

Old 10-16-2011, 12:56 PM

Oh my gosh! I just bought a similar machine at an estate auction yesterday. The bid began at $5.00 and there was at least one other person bidding. We went back and forth, until I got it for $32.50 -- first time ever in my life that I bid on an item at any auction.

I am a recent new member to this board and have not posted before today. I feel very lucky to have found machine so very soon after catching the "bug" of looking for vintage models from you wonderful members. I am so glad to have discovered this great community of quilters and eager to learn more from all of you.

According to the Singer website and the serial number I found on the front base, it is a 1924 model. This one has the knee control instead of the foot control. The plug should be replaced and maybe the entire electrical cord. It is the fabric kind and the plug is round. I think this machine was used heavily (had a 100 needle in it), but cared for -- no accessories or manual were included. I wanted it just for piecing quilts, so that is fine with me. The machine sews beautifully -- I did not need to oil it to get it started. I have been playing with the tension, stitch length, and presser foot pressure to get a feel for those adjustments. I've also done some quilt top piecing today; I am impressed with how quiet and smoothly she sews.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-272407.jpe  
Old 10-16-2011, 01:46 PM

She sure is pretty!
so is her home, (case), have fun creating with Penny:)
Old 10-16-2011, 02:19 PM

Congratulations from Pennsylvania!!!!!!
Old 10-16-2011, 02:26 PM

Congratulations on your lovely new machine, may you have many happy stitches together!
Old 10-16-2011, 02:47 PM

Lovely!! Don't you just adore the vintage machines? I am HOOKED!!! LOL
Old 10-16-2011, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north
Very nice!! It's good to hear of good eBay purchases. I always worry about a sewing machine not working or being broken during shipping. You got a good one..... so happy for you.
I got a Singer 201-2 this year on ebay. Because of a goof when it was relisted especially for me to buy (had been listed w/ art deco cabinet as a pick-up only & I already had Mom's old cabinet - just needed her old machine for it), the seller revised her listing to say s/h would be $199.00 so no one else would bid, then sold me the machine for $1.00!! I was sweating bullets for the few minutes it was relisted hoping no one else would figure it out and outbid me.
My point is - this seller has become a long-distance friend, she was very accomodating to keep the cabinet & sell me the machine w/ attachments (she does not sew & will use the cabinet for other crafting), it was double-boxed very well (even threw in a thick blanket as a protective wrap over the machine) and it has arrived in great shape no worse the wear for having travelled from Ohio to Montana.
Old 10-16-2011, 03:25 PM

gorgeous machine. :)
Old 10-16-2011, 03:41 PM

cjcathyj, that is a beautiful machine you have there. And at a great price!!! It is one of the earliest ones that have a knee bar with it. It looks in great shape! I think that it was either 1920 or 1924 that the knee bar was first used in the 99, but am not sure. I wish I knew for sure. You can use any low shank feet with your machine, I think, but need special bobbins for it. The ones in places like Walmart won't work in it. I got some from Sew Classic, and you can also download an instruction book free on the net.
If you go to mysingerstory.com and put in your name, and the serial number of your machine, you can download a certificate for your machine stating that you own a machine made in .... year. It is neat to have.
Good luck with your machine. Don't they run just so quietly!!!
Old 10-16-2011, 04:22 PM

Janis, Thanks so much for the tips. I already checked for the certificate and will look into the bobbin source. Only two came with my machine. Cathy
Old 10-16-2011, 05:12 PM

You have a real beauty there. It looks as though it is in good shape.