Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • As God is My Witness, I Will Never Use Monofilament Thread Again--Oh My Lanta!! >
  • As God is My Witness, I Will Never Use Monofilament Thread Again--Oh My Lanta!!

• As God is My Witness, I Will Never Use Monofilament Thread Again--Oh My Lanta!!

Old 11-07-2011, 05:15 PM

My LQS teacher told us to not use this thread in the bobbin ever. I have used it as the top thread and it worked fine for me. Sorry to hear about your problems but I think that is what happens when you use it in the bobbin too.
    Old 11-07-2011, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by QandE2010
    I never liked invisible thread either, as I always thought it looked and acted like fishing line. Than I was introduced to YLO Wonder Invisible 100% Nylon thread and I was sold. It is soft and acts like "real" thread except it is invisible. I am sold.
    Unless it gets hot in the dryer or you iron it...no thanks...
    Old 11-07-2011, 05:23 PM

I used it to SID my entire quilt but when I tried FMQ, I was tearing my hair out. I finally gave up. No more FMQ with it.
    Old 11-07-2011, 05:34 PM

I used monofilament for the first time, Sunday. I put it in the bobbin for FMQ...I didn't touch the tension or anything...it worked...it must have been dumb luck, as I didn't know I was suppose to change any of the machine settings...dumb luck is all I can say!!
    Old 11-07-2011, 06:27 PM

I do have to say that Poly thread (not nylon) is very fine and quite soft. I too did not adjust any settings to my machine either and didn't have too much trouble at first. I think part of the problem was when I hit the middle section of the bobbin, I think it was wound too tight and that started the problems. I don't have a speed setting on my machine (just have to go real light on the foot pedal) and the intructor mentioned that you want to wind your bobbin very slowly. I did the best I could but it got going fast a couple of times.

I don't really know what set off the problem of the thread coming off the spool and pooling on the peg. That is either related to the tension in the bobbin with the thread being too tight or completely unrelated. Not sure??
    Old 11-07-2011, 06:59 PM

If you have difficulty threading the needle with the clear monofilament thread, use a black magic marker to "color" the thread at the end that you will be threading into the needle. It makes it easy to see and to thread the needle. Also try using a size 6 needle on your monofilament, it makes such a small hole in your fabric that you can't see the holes. Another hint is to make sure you lower your tension when using it. Please do not give up on it. Do not use the nylon thread in your machine. It gets brittle and breaks inside the machine and it will eventually do the same in your quilt.
    Old 11-08-2011, 03:35 AM

I only use it to applique..I did one quilt on the longarm and I could NOT see when the thread broke..it was a pain..
    Old 11-08-2011, 03:58 AM

I'm with you - I don't like the look nor feel of the thread.
    Old 11-08-2011, 04:06 AM

I've used the mono a lot and other than the visibility issue, I love it. The grey mono helps a lot and I use it for almost anything on the cool side of the spectrum. LAQ, micro-stippling, hand sewong embellishments.
    MaryKatherine
    Old 11-08-2011, 04:33 AM

Lightbulb MonoFilament Thread

One problem of yours is not to ever ever use it in your bobbin. I was taught that in sewing class long time ago. Also there is new brand filament thread out there now and it is a little priceee, but I have used it on my projects and it really works.