Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New Question - >

New Question -

New Question -

Old 01-06-2012, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by mhansen6 View Post
That is easy a bobbin winder. My sewing machine is pretty picky about tension and the bobbins wound on the bobbin winder were not right. I had to take it back.
I do use my rules-but hate, just hate the bobbin winder. I find if I wind bobbins on it my machine-a Babylock- just does not like them and it throws the tension off. I wind several bobbins (on the Baby)at a time put, them in a dish and then just switch when the bobbin in Baby is empty. No tension problems and no waste of thread.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:24 AM

Plastic sewing bobbin holders with lids. I just throw the lids away and store the bottoms in a drawer, rotary blade sharpeners are lousy, even with a strong arm doing the sharpening, last about 5 minutes of cutting, ink jet fabric paper - duh, pictures washed right out.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Gabrielle's Mimi View Post
I teach Learn to Quilt classes at my LQS and lots of people come in with $99 Singers, etc. We need to be kind...these newbies do not have the experience and years of quilting that many of us do. I am very lucky to have a Bernina that I just love, but many people do not know that there are shops that specialize in better quality machines, or they may not have the financial resources to buy a great machine. I teach everyone who comes to me, regardless of their machine quality, and usually, once they see what a good machine can do, they begin saving to buy a nicer machine.
I agree-not everyone can afford an expensive machine. I have a Singer I bought at Costco(it was a 500$ machine on sale for 89$-previous year model) and it works great. I use it as a back up machine. After I took a couple of classes and the teacher complained about my machine because it was mechanical and made more noise than the electric computer models. I bought a Babylock. I am lucky as my husband has a good job and we could afford it. If I didn't I would have stuck with my Singer as a main machine and done okay.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:12 AM

Bobbin winder, and mini-iron that wouldn't stay upright and was easy to get burned on.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:59 AM

Really appreciate all the comments particularly the ones regarding the bobbin winder. I had read a post that said nothing is harder on your sewing machine motor than a winding bobbins. I then considered purchasing a sidewinder to 'save' wear and tear on the motor.

I too purchased the ring ruler holder WHAT A WASTE, it is hard to put the rulers on and frustrating to get them off! Then someone sent me another one in a swap...so I have two unused rings now :0)

Old 01-06-2012, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by rdorminy View Post
Needle Threader, never got it to work. Thank goodness I bought it with a coupon. Same goes for the Gingher Seam Ripper, an again bought with a coupon. I just have bad luck using coupon's on worthless items. Oh well!!!!!
Whew I thought it was me...that little clover needle threader was a gift thank goodness can never get it work consistently ....
Old 01-06-2012, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by crafterrn1 View Post
Well I agree about the blade sharpener. It really does not work. I have heard that the electric one is much better. I have so many gadgets it is hard to say whoch one I don't like. I don't use them all but I have them when I need them. Luann
Luann...I like your comment about having so many gadgets, some rarely used but then when I need them I got 'em...that's me too! :0)
Old 01-06-2012, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
I bought one, didn't like it because it didn't turn nicely for me (operator error I've since learned), sold it, then a couple of months later decided I really wanted one, had a 60% off coupon for JA's and got one. I actually use it more now that I know the proper technique. Not my worst purchase ever!
Please do share how to properly use the rotating cutting mat...I have one and was looking forward to using it and knowing me "operator error" could easily be my middle name :0)
Old 01-06-2012, 11:18 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by JoantheQuilter View Post
I still can't believe there are people out there who buy a sewing machine at WALMART and expect it to last like the GOOD Brother sewing machine that can be bought (at an expensive price, yes, but they will last!!!) at your local Sewing Shop. Please remember...there are cheap brands of just about everything. You get what you pay for.
Well, I have been using a cheap Walmart Brother for over 7 years with no problems at all. It is not fussy about thread or fabric and I only cleaned it once or twice during this time. I have been very happy with this machine. So much so that I got a similar low cost Brother to keep at my son and daughter in law's house and I have used that on various things over the years with no problems. Then, someone gave my other son an even more basic cheap Brother and I sewed on it several times with no difficulties. These machines may not be top of the line, but, these three have given me no problems at all.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:23 PM

I also bought the Gingher seam ripper. Has anyone bought the replacement blades? They are advertised as being an improved design, but I don't want to throw even more money away on this poorly designed object so I haven't bought them.