Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Longarm quilting is not cheating >
  • Longarm quilting is not cheating

• Longarm quilting is not cheating

Old 03-16-2012, 05:34 AM

I think the word 'defiling' hit a nerve for some!
    Old 03-16-2012, 05:49 AM

That was rude, I don't know why when folks get older they think they have the right to be rude!!!
    Old 03-16-2012, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by caspharm
    I'm glad you just let it go. Quilting definitely allows different strokes for different folks, so best to ignore the quilt police.

Personally, I prefer doing LA quilting to home machine quilting (I tend to do large quilts, don't like fighting all the fabric layers, and was lucky to be able to afford to buy one after years of renting) and I prefer using pantographs to computerized quilting (feels more handmade to me).

That being said, I have taken several quilt classes from award winning teachers that sew large quilts on home machines (Diane Gaudynski and Susan Rasmussen) and enjoyed them immensely. Some of their tips also carry over to LA use. I have also seen computerized quilts that are lovely. I also admire handquilting, but I also tried that and my hands don't like it.
    I agree. Each to his own. However, I think that maybe this woman was only trying to make conversation. I am just learning hand quilting & enjoy the warm feeling it gives me. But--I would give my eyeteeth to have a LA but it will never happen because of $. And most people back in her day were taught to make do with what you have. I never ever would have thought that I would enjoy handquilting so much since I was learning machine quilting on a home machine. Can you tell that I am one that is resistant to change?
    Old 03-16-2012, 06:11 AM

WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can you say keep your negative oppinions to yourself. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No excuse for rudeness. You qualify for sainthood, as I would have been sorely tempted to ask her if she had left her good manners at home. lol
    Old 03-16-2012, 06:19 AM

You came face-to-face with the "Real Quilt Police!" Glad you made it out okay.
    Old 03-16-2012, 06:32 AM
    Power Poster

You did great in not saying anything. Each person choses the method of quilting that works best for her. Not everyone is a good hand quilter and not everyone can machine quilt. So if my quilt is larger than a baby quilt it has to go to LAQ.
    Old 03-16-2012, 06:36 AM

Let it go in one ear and out the other. I have a long arm quilting machine, I can do one in about 5-6 days depending on how much I work on it. I don't try to hurry. I have done hand quilting and it takes a long time. That is why I decided to buy my long arm. I didn't get too expensive, I have a 15" Bailely Longarm. I plan to invest in a stitch regulator soon. I don't regret buying it, only wish I would have gotten a different quilting frame, I guess I will have to deal with this one. I would have liked to have more space to quilt and have it a little wider. I'm enjoying it anyway.
    Old 03-16-2012, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by jeemmerling621
    I rent a longarm at my LQS and was quilting today (I.e. with headphones and tuned out to the world). A customer comes into the classroom where the longarms are and gets my attention and proclaims that what I am doing "is cheating, and defiling my quilt". I literally stood there speechless. She was in her 80's (I'm guessing) and has probably only ever hand quilted, but her total lack of filter just baffled me.

I had to get that off my chest I am so glad we all do our own thing on the Board and respect each other's amazing work!
    I live in Ohio and I have found lately a number of people that are just rude. So many people here are sooooooo friendly that it just surprises me. Your just being speechless was probably a good thing to do. I work at a few charity groups that have a lot of old people working too and I've had to bite my tongue a few times.
    Old 03-16-2012, 07:09 AM

I am just as proud of the quilts I quilted as I am of those I had Heather (hperttula123) of this board do!
    Old 03-16-2012, 07:16 AM

I have a 94 yo LAM client that says she has to hurry to get all her quilts finished. Maybe the two could meet and compare notes.