Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Retirement....what state and why? >
  • Retirement....what state and why?

• Retirement....what state and why?

Old 05-11-2012, 04:07 PM

Gotta love Louisiana! Don't know about retirement though!
    Old 05-11-2012, 06:30 PM

We moved from California to Nevada. We were given a house debt-free, but we are really enjoying the environment, especially all the mountains that surround the Las Vegas Valley.

It's also nice that there is no state income tax. Sales tax is less than the SF Bay area and the cost of living is not bad.
    Old 05-11-2012, 07:08 PM

My DH and I both retired here in Oklahoma. OK is suppose to be one of the top 10 best places to live. The housing is still reasonably priced compared to a lot of places. And yes, as stated earlier, you do have to dodge tornadoes frequently but any more, quirky weather has been happening everywhere. Now you couldn't get me to move out of OK because I two little DGK's who only live 9 miles from me. There are pros and cons about any place you might think about living in. Go where your heart takes you.

Last edited by CherryPie; 05-11-2012 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Did'nt like what I said
    Old 05-12-2012, 02:28 PM

I`ve Traveled to many states, and love all of them. Alaska was wonderful & beautiful in june, we toured 5 southwestern states in fall, sites I`ll never forget. I could name 20 more, but lets face it, As Dorothy said "There` no place like home."
    We have family-Children-Grandkids-Greatgrandkids, friends, card clubs, 4 seasons, but most of all our Church. Yes we have some harsh winters, deep snow, but few tornatoes, can`t remember any bad floods, only a few tremmers, no real
    earth quakes, and every one else has them on the same day, and we help each other out.
    Old 05-14-2012, 02:44 PM

Please keep this thread going! I have read each and every response.

My situation is different from many of you. I'm disabled now due to rheumatoid arthritis and lupus. I live in NJ and the cost of living is very, very high. I'm on a fixed income and cannot afford to live here any longer.

My number one criteria would be to be near a top-notch medical center with easy access to physicians. Probably, a more urban area with very close and convenient shopping and a home food delivery service would be best. Very hot and humid weather aggravate my conditions, so Florida is out. I would love to live near a beach and some quiltshops.

Any suggestions?
    Old 05-14-2012, 03:16 PM
    Power Poster

Can't imagine moving away from Northern California. Yes, it is expensive but it feels so much like home.
    Old 05-14-2012, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by rainyday58
    Please keep this thread going! I have read each and every response.

My situation is different from many of you. I'm disabled now due to rheumatoid arthritis and lupus. I live in NJ and the cost of living is very, very high. I'm on a fixed income and cannot afford to live here any longer.

My number one criteria would be to be near a top-notch medical center with easy access to physicians. Probably, a more urban area with very close and convenient shopping and a home food delivery service would be best. Very hot and humid weather aggravate my conditions, so Florida is out. I would love to live near a beach and some quiltshops.

Any suggestions?
    The entire Gulf Coast is hot and humid. California is VERY expensive. Perhaps you should select your medical center first and then find an area close to it. You might need to settle for a lake beach instead of an ocean beach. I wish you good hunting, but I know that when you are very ill, being close to the medical center is more important than being close to the water.
    Old 05-19-2012, 08:35 AM
    Power Poster

All great suggestions but I just wanted to say again that in addition to every day weather, is the area prone to hurricanes, tornados, etc. Being elderly, possibly alone, with health issues and having to go through one of these is not a fun place to be. I know every place has "something" but some places have more chance of the "somethings".
    Old 05-19-2012, 11:45 AM

We are looking into the Phoenix area. Buying a home is not possible so we look at rentals. I know the summer will be rough but winter will be the reward. DH and I will need part time jobs to supplement retirement income and there are lots there.
    Old 05-28-2012, 11:42 AM

This thread is full of great information...too bad there isn't someplace with wonderful weather, beach, low cost, safe and near to everything we would enjoy and within a few miles of our loved ones!