Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best tool for unsewing? >

Best tool for unsewing?

Best tool for unsewing?

Old 07-27-2012, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by patski View Post
I love the Clover brand seam ripper from Nancys Notions, DO NOT BUY the Fons & Porter, I had 2 and the tips snapped off. Thankfully I wear glasses. The other thing I like is a battery operated mustache trimmer! Its' about 3 or 4 dollars (same thing as the pretty ones in the quilt stores) but much cheaper!
I'm so sorry to hear your Fons & Porter ripper went nuts on you. I have one & of all the ones I have, it's my favorite. I like it because the handle is big. I do wish the pointed part was a little thinner, but that's only because I tend to sew with really small stitches.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:44 AM
Power Poster

I am going to look into the de-baller -
I haven't tried the Fons & Porter one - if something is going to break easily, I'm the one to break it
I do like the seam rippers with the small end/point better than the bigger ones - it's easier to get under the threads
I tried using a rotary cutter to cut the threads in the seam - that didn't work out real well for me
I had one of those little scapel like ones - mine got rusty and dull - plus it was so small that I tended to misplace it a lot
I'm also not that skillful with the razor blade

Thank you for your input. I'm always amazed at how many things are out there that I've never heard of - or thought of using.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:53 AM
Power Poster

Went to the Havel site.

http://www.havelssewing.com/seam-rippers.html

They have a quilt pro -worlds's best seam ripper

and a quilt pro 2 that has a buttonhole cutter blade

Anyone know the difference between the two?

They look a lot alike to me in the pictures.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:13 PM

The best I have ever used were a very small razor one a LAer gave me. she buys them in bulk but I cannot find them anywhere. I also have Clover ones which I like especially the ones that are rounded slightly and I have the one posted above that have the razor on the end which you can replace.
I have also used small manicure scissors. so I guess it is whatever I grab first..lol My motto whatever it takes to get er done!
Old 08-16-2012, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by RugosaB View Post
Years ago I worked at an alterations site, and learned there to use a pan knife. So that's what I use whenever the situation is such that I can
Thats what I use.I worked with a tailor for a few years before I opened my alteration shop. Thats what they use.I have retired, but still use my knives.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:13 AM

My favorite ''go to'' seam ripper is a rotary cutter. Works better and faster than anything I've tried.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:02 AM

I bought cheap battery operated hair clippers -- at the dollar store I think. OMG zip and you are done with the seam! I use them for everything.
Old 08-17-2012, 04:58 PM

I have a clover that I use for small things. For most of my ripping I use a small rotary cutter. Works really well -- just be cautious about catching the thread and not the fabric. It sounds harder than it is.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by patski View Post
I love the Clover brand seam ripper from Nancys Notions, DO NOT BUY the Fons & Porter, I had 2 and the tips snapped off. Thankfully I wear glasses. The other thing I like is a battery operated mustache trimmer! Its' about 3 or 4 dollars (same thing as the pretty ones in the quilt stores) but much cheaper!
I have tried to find a mustache trimmer and cannot. Where have you found yours?
Old 08-22-2012, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Cornerstone quilter View Post
I have tried to find a mustache trimmer and cannot. Where have you found yours?
Any kind of battery hair clippers will do. Cosmetic section of Walmart. Also there are smaller versions for 'pet clipping' that manuver well...also cheap. I have taken apart snarls and messes of threads that I would normally throw away with these. Quick and easy with them.