Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Best tool I use to pick up loose threads .

We all end with with loose threads from cutting or sewing or ironing our material no way to prevent it . I had a friend that showed me a neat tool that picks it easy and fast . It was purchased from the a Dollar store and it is like a lint brush only it is like rubber on the plastic roller and comes in two sizes that i found . All you do is roll over the cutting table or where you have thread you want picked up and it clings to it. I even use it to pick up small pieces of material .Once the roller is full- wash it in cold water and all the threads come off .Let the roller dry and you are good to use it again . Best thing i found so far that works and is cheap to buy.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I use those sticky rollers, which work fine, but this would be reuseable so that is a big plus with me!

Blog Entries
    Wow, that is a great tip

Great tip, thanks for sharing!

Thank you for sharing this tip!

Blog Entries
    I bought a set at a quilt show and for me turned out to be a waste of $. a set of 3 sizes. normal, tiny and one for the carpet. Doesnt take but a few swipes to cover it, then you have to wash it, wait to dry then do it agai. I just threw the tiny one away the other day and when I come across the normal size its going out too along with the carpet one. There is a reason they are now in the dollar store. I paid $25 for the floor one and the others were a "bonus". If I had bought them at the dollar store I probably wouldnt feel bad about tossing them. I buy the disposable ones in bulk at Costco. I like the idea of having things that dont fill up the landfills,but I also like things that work and last.

I just bring a quilt out...all the loose thread flock to it!

Now here's what I really do - vacuum with a dust buster type vacuum. It's lightweight, i always know where it is and it does the job.

OK now I have to work in a trip to the dollar store lol. Always looking for a good "green" way to clean up after making a rag quilt. Thanks so much for the tip...Wish me luck at our local dollar store.

Great Ideal !! THANKS

I brush my surfaces with a soft fox tail brush and then sweep the floor. One brush will last a person's lifetime. I bought mine in an artist supply store.

Quote Originally Posted by lindasidlow
    I bought a set at a quilt show and for me turned out to be a waste of $. a set of 3 sizes. normal, tiny and one for the carpet. Doesnt take but a few swipes to cover it, then you have to wash it, wait to dry then do it agai. I just threw the tiny one away the other day and when I come across the normal size its going out too along with the carpet one. There is a reason they are now in the dollar store. I paid $25 for the floor one and the others were a "bonus". If I had bought them at the dollar store I probably wouldnt feel bad about tossing them. I buy the disposable ones in bulk at Costco. I like the idea of having things that dont fill up the landfills,but I also like things that work and last.
    I have a set, I do like them for some things, like thread, but the regular lint rollers are more versatile. They do fill up quickly.

Our board member Carron posted a suggestion to picking up threads off the carpet by using a (brand new) toilet brush. Sure works good and keeps the threads out of my vacuum roller.

I have these in four sizes, a super large one for the carpets....love them.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I love these....I have them everywhere around the house., car, purse...

Thanks for sharing. I will have to look for it.

Quote Originally Posted by quilt gramma
    We all end with with loose threads from cutting or sewing or ironing our material no way to prevent it . I had a friend that showed me a neat tool that picks it easy and fast . It was purchased from the a Dollar store and it is like a lint brush only it is like rubber on the plastic roller and comes in two sizes that i found . All you do is roll over the cutting table or where you have thread you want picked up and it clings to it. I even use it to pick up small pieces of material .Once the roller is full- wash it in cold water and all the threads come off .Let the roller dry and you are good to use it again . Best thing i found so far that works and is cheap to buy.
    Dollar store, dang I bought mine at Sears a few years back and paid a hefty price like 38.00 for 4 different sizes.

darn, I just stopped in at the dollar store tonite. Great idea! thanks!

I wrapped the end of a yard stick with velcro(not the soft side but the bristly side) about 3 inches. It works great getting all the threads from your quilt and also from the floor. No bending over and you can reach all kinds of places,also picks up small pieces of fabric.

Love your tip, am on my way to the $ store. THANKS

Quote Originally Posted by lindasidlow
    Yep, same here. I like the idea of something reusable. But they simply did not work for me. I once had one to get cat and rabbit hair off my clothes. It was covered so quickly with fluffs from my clothes, I never got anywhere with cleaning the hair off.

Menards keeps having the tear-off lint rollers for free after rebate, so that's what I've been using, also if I wear fleece or flannel jammies, the threads end up on me instead of the floor!

I bought some at a quilt show. Spent a fortune. Then found that Harbor Freight had the exact item for much less.

There is also a lint roller that has sticky tape on it, you use it then pull one part of and a clean one is left. I have had one for a long time and there is still plenty of tape on it. You just roll it over the surface and everything sticks to it then you pleal a layer off and it's clean and ready to use again.
    Quote Originally Posted by quilt gramma

i am going to look for this at my dollar store..i use lint rollers, but i have to keep buying them, and buying them, and buying them..........

Doesn't Harbor Freight seem to come up often? Maybe it's time for a slow walk-thru and see what other potential quilting tools they have.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast