Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Loose threads and Machine Quilting >

Loose threads and Machine Quilting

Loose threads and Machine Quilting

Old 01-16-2012, 11:19 AM

Question Loose threads and Machine Quilting

I machine quilted my first big project yesterday. I tried to quilt in a continuous fashion but the pattern necessitated some starting and stopping. I was told to not fix your thread and use the cutter but to leave the threads longish and hide them after. Since I had a border on the quilt, I couldn't hide them in the binding. I spent 2 hours hiding threads!!! There's just got to be a better way???

Help!
Old 01-16-2012, 11:25 AM
Power Poster

i always start with a few tiny stitches in place- then start out quilting- then i just clip them off at the surface- i've never had one come apart. bring the bobbin thread to the top- hold both threads- stitch 5 or 6 stitches about on top of themselves- then start quilting- alot easier than threading and burying all those threads.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:25 AM

Personally I fix my threads with my machine, I take a few sm stitches back and forth.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:47 PM
Power Poster

I do leave my threads long, knot them and bury them in the quilt sandwich. I do them after I finish a section and I am checking my machine quilting for flaws. This way there are not so many to do at once. You will save time if you get yourself some easy thread needles. They sell for about $4 at the Walmart for a package of 5? They have a little open area at the top that you can push/pull the two thread into the head of the needle for burying your threads.
Some people prefer to stitch in place a few times and cut their threads instead as they have mentioned. Find out what looks good to you and go from there.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:22 PM

I do the same as Tartan except I like the spiral eye needles, they don't shred my thread. I hate burying threads too, but I sit with the quilt draped over me in front of the TV and it seems to go quicker that way
Old 01-16-2012, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
i always start with a few tiny stitches in place- then start out quilting- then i just clip them off at the surface- i've never had one come apart. bring the bobbin thread to the top- hold both threads- stitch 5 or 6 stitches about on top of themselves- then start quilting- alot easier than threading and burying all those threads.
I have what probably seems like a silly question. How do you bring the bobbin thread to the top?
Old 01-16-2012, 07:35 PM
Banned

you hold the top thread.....lower and raise the needle and then pull on the top thread and it will pull the bottom thread with it and you can then catch it and be able to hold both together when you start stitching.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:42 PM

I also do my threads this way you do the same when you end do a( few stitches small) raise your needle and foot use your left finger and catch the thread pull it to your left when you see the bobbin thread pull the fabric towards you a little ways and now you can cut all 3 threads that will leave a tail so you can pull up bobbin thread to start again but you will not be hiding any threads . Rickey timms can show you how
Old 01-17-2012, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Holice View Post
you hold the top thread.....lower and raise the needle and then pull on the top thread and it will pull the bottom thread with it and you can then catch it and be able to hold both together when you start stitching.
Thank you Holice! Silly me - same as bringing up the bobbin thread without fabric. That's what I get for posting later at night when I am tired. I ask a question that in daylight seems to me to be more obvious.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:59 AM

I pull the bottom thread through to the top and leave the ends long so that I can hide them by hand after I finish quilting. I generally only have to bury them every time my bobbin runs out of thread, so it isn't too bad. I prefer to do it this way as I think it looks neater.