Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone notice that Joann's fabrics are better quality than LQS? >

Anyone notice that Joann's fabrics are better quality than LQS?

Anyone notice that Joann's fabrics are better quality than LQS?

Old 08-15-2012, 07:47 AM

NOT in my neck of the woods ! ... I haven't seen a decline in quality of LQS fabrics. Our Joann's may have some better quality fabrics now but most of them are just as expensive, or even MORE (like their batiks and designer lines) than the LQS. Hobby Lobby still far exceeds Joann's in price AND quality and their Kona cottons are better too IMO ...
I occasionally buy notions, a book or pattern at Joann's but I prefer to keep our LQS in business with my fabric purchases, as much as I can afford to ... !

Last edited by TexasGurl; 08-15-2012 at 08:01 AM.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:26 AM

Not my Joann's. First, I don't want to sound negative. I've made quilts using the calico wall - they just don't last as long. I also commonly use their quilter's flannel for backing for scrap quilts and tied quilts.

While Joann's do have a 'better' quality fabric in their quilter's group, they also use a lot of sizing. This can hide the fact that when you wash it, it sheds lint. Badly.

Thickness or thinness of fabric isn't always the best indicator of high quality fabric. There's a London fabric that is almost as thin as batiste but wears like iron. It's the thread count that makes the difference in a thinner fabric.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:27 AM

Yes Your Right!!
Old 08-15-2012, 11:08 AM

I guess the high prices is the reason I have built such an extensive stash! I really do not need any more fabrics! That said, I still 'look', especially sales. If I do buy, I will always support my LQSs first.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:09 AM

You're so right! Thanks for posting those points!

Originally Posted by IAmCatOwned View Post
Not my Joann's. First, I don't want to sound negative. I've made quilts using the calico wall - they just don't last as long. I also commonly use their quilter's flannel for backing for scrap quilts and tied quilts.

While Joann's do have a 'better' quality fabric in their quilter's group, they also use a lot of sizing. This can hide the fact that when you wash it, it sheds lint. Badly.

Thickness or thinness of fabric isn't always the best indicator of high quality fabric. There's a London fabric that is almost as thin as batiste but wears like iron. It's the thread count that makes the difference in a thinner fabric.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:09 PM

Waiting for our new Joann Fabrics to open here by the end of Aug !! So excited! I hope it is really nice, and good quality
Old 08-15-2012, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by alleyoop1 View Post
Not my Joann's vs. my LQS! LQS still has the best fabrics - but you pay for what you get.
I agree, I think Walmart and Joann's fabric is of lesser quality than LQS. I took a class about how fabric is made and there is a difference! My class was through the cooperative extension so not backed by big name fabric makers.
Old 08-16-2012, 01:25 AM

I usually buy for a specific project but lately have been purchasing some other ones I find pleasing at LQS when they are on sale. Our Joann's is moving to a new location so when they have their Grand Opening I will check them out again. I thought Kona was making 2 qualities of fabric, one for big box stores and a better one for LQS.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:58 AM

I saw my regular cutting lady at Joann's today and she said that the Alexander Henry came in on pallets. She was told they bought out a large amount of it from another store but she wasn't sure who. My Joann's had Alexander Henry collection pieces from 2009, 2010 and 2011 but no ghastlies versions. And I noticed two sets of coordinating fabrics from Hoffman Fabrics (made for Joann) that would be so cute for Bow Tucks. I picked up a backing that is just fabulous for $3.75 a yard- they are having a 50% Red Tag sale through 10/20. Just in case you really need some backing or stash....
Originally Posted by TammyB View Post
Yes, JoAnns is getting some nice quality fabrics. They have premium lines like Denise Schmidt and Susan Winget, sometimes Alexander Henry, and of course they carry the Kona solids (great when you buy a whole bolt at 50% off with coupon). I'm cautious about their other fabrics. The old saying, "you get what you pay for." I guess if you making a small table runner for yourself it's fine to use the cheaper stuff, but a lot quilts I make as gifts and I don't want folks washing them only to find they coming apart. Regarding the prices going up, you have to remember that we had a cotton shortage last year and on top of that we exported most of what we had to China--go figure. Now it's coming back to bite us locally. I try to support our LQS but sometimes I have to cave to online stores if things are on sale.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:06 PM

I find that you neeed to check quality no matter where you buy fabric....I have found good quality at all places--LQS, Joannes, and Walmart..you just have to check things before you buy..In the same way all 3 have had some inferior quality