Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone notice that Joann's fabrics are better quality than LQS?

Anyone notice that Joann's fabrics are better quality than LQS?

I have been noticing that Joann's fabrics are higher quality than they were a year ago and the brand names are going downhill.

Recently I was shopping at a LQS and some of the 12.50 per yard fabric was pretty think.

I went to Joann's and found better quality for about 7.99 a yarn and used by 50% off coupons.

There were, however, fabrics at Joann's now that are $12.99 per yard. I could not believe my eyes. The clerk said that they are really stuggling as they mark prices up.

I've also seen some cottons at LQS for $16.50 but it is imported.

I was very pleasantly surprised at Joann's quality. Never thought I would say that. They still have the really cheap stuff - but there is great quality now too.

Am I crazy or has anyone else noticed this???
    Bernina 440QE
    Bernina 1150 serger
    Janome 1000CPX coverstitch

Blog Entries
    I haven't been to Joann's lately. But, I did go look at fabric at Walmart. Didn't need anything...just looking. I found a bolt I really liked. I looked at the price and just about fainted. $12.99!!!! I don't think so. LOL.
    Happy Quilting.

It will only get worse. As Gas prices go up and so does everything else.
    I say stock up now.
    may you be in heaven before the devil knows your dead!
    Liz

I was at Joanns yesterday and some of their less expensive brand fabric is a better quality then their more expensive ones! Even the lady cutting the fabric said she has noticed a big difference in some the fabrics. Yesterday their lower priced fabrics were 50% off. I bought six yards of one for the backing on a quilt I am currently working on. Plus I bought a few yards of two other fabrics that coordinate well with some I got a month ago. I'm happy!!
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

maybe they got the message that the poor quality was sending people away. I have to get some backing for a little boys race car quilt that i'm working on. I'll have to check it out this week.
    my name is becca and i'm a quilt-a-holic :-)

Wish I was close enough to a JoAnns to be able to stop by periodically to see what they have. Unfortunately, the closest one is about an hour away--too far to just drop in and look.

I have to say that some of the fabrics from the big name companies have seemed pretty flimsy to me - sadly Benartex and Moda to name a couple. I remember chats here a year or more ago about the moda marbles having gotten pretty thin and that they were supposedly in the process of improving the quality. It's like a double whammy - the price skyrockets and the quality plummets!!! They need to pick ONE!
    Pat

Not my Joann's vs. my LQS! LQS still has the best fabrics - but you pay for what you get.

I'm finding the best quality, for the money, is Hobby Lobby. It's every bit as good as the LQS, for less $$. WalMart seems to be hit or miss, lately. The nicer stuff is getting more and more expensive. I always check the sales bins, though. I've found quite a few nice Cranston VIP prints, for dirt cheap, there.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Joanne has had nicer things lately! They carry some of the kona solids, and their "premium" lines tend to be much better quality than I've seen there previously. They also regularly have 50% off sales on the premimum fabrics, so if you go when they're on sale, and add in coupons, the prices are much more reasonable than my LQS!

My only gripe is that they never put the "regular" and "premium" fabrics on sale at the same time, and I always end up with a mix of both, so I pay top dollar for some and not others. I wish they'd just have "all quilt fabric on sale" sometimes!!

It just goes to show you have to look carefully at what you buy, no matter where you buy it. I was at Joann's yesterday looking at the clearance bin (not the remnants, but the stuff marked down with red tags, and on the wall, not on the shelves). There were some fat quarters and jelly rolls and such. Some of it was so poor quality that just looking at it I could see the holes between weave of the threads. Yet also, in the same bin but from another company, was some really nice quality fabric. All priced the same.

I find I just have to shop carefully, and fortunately I love to shop for fabric...
    People who start projects and never finish them are cooler
    than people who never start projects at all.

http://quiltingquick.weebly.com/blog.html

All fabric is now imported. The thin fabric is really a better fabric because it doesn't need all the sizing to keep it together. I have found that Jo-anns is the last place I purchase fabric even with a coupon. It use to be great, but since it went into competition with the LQS they have gone down hill. I would rather pick up my non LQS fabric at Wal-Mart. I also have access to 2 fabric stores that have great prices on the better fabrics so I am spoiled....

I only have one LQS and Joanns. Our Walmarts stopped selling fabric. I am so thankful that I can shop at Joanns since they have the biggest and best selection in my area.
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

Quote Originally Posted by willferg View Post
    It just goes to show you have to look carefully at what you buy, no matter where you buy it. I was at Joann's yesterday looking at the clearance bin (not the remnants, but the stuff marked down with red tags, and on the wall, not on the shelves). There were some fat quarters and jelly rolls and such. Some of it was so poor quality that just looking at it I could see the holes between weave of the threads. Yet also, in the same bin but from another company, was some really nice quality fabric. All priced the same.

I find I just have to shop carefully, and fortunately I love to shop for fabric...
    True that! It sounds like the quality of fabric is really variable from store to store (be it Wal-Mart or Joann's). I can find some nice fabrics at either store, but I can also find some not so nice fabric. By the same token, I have also found some fabric at my LQS that I wasn't wild about the quality. I love looking at fabric (and feeling it) - and I love looking for a bargain. There are so many different venues (be it a local store or online) that I can usually find what I want for a price I am reasonably happy with!
    Dawn

I don't think for one minute that JoAnn's has better fabric that a quilt shop or Hobby Lobby. In fact, In my opinion, I think their quality of fabric has gone from not too bad to awful. When you can see your hand through a piece of material you're NOT getting quality. Their prices have increased considerably, but their quality certainly hasn't followed suit by any stretch of the imagination! Not only that, but do they ever hire anyone who knows a thing about sewing anymore? I think that since the new owners have taken over the whole store has gone down the drain.

Blog Entries
    not around here! the joannes fab's are a couple steps below wally worlds-& costs a couple bucks more a yard than the lqs-
    so,
    lucky you to have one that is (improving)
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Quote Originally Posted by oh munner View Post
    I don't think for one minute that JoAnn's has better fabric that a quilt shop or Hobby Lobby. In fact, In my opinion, I think their quality of fabric has gone from not too bad to awful. When you can see your hand through a piece of material you're NOT getting quality. Their prices have increased considerably, but their quality certainly hasn't followed suit by any stretch of the imagination! Not only that, but do they ever hire anyone who knows a thing about sewing anymore? I think that since the new owners have taken over the whole store has gone down the drain.
    Ditto here. And their pricing strategy leads you to believe that you are getting a bargain - price it at 12.99, saturate the market with 50% off coupons, you pay $6 something for fabric that is worth about 2.99/yd, like it used to be.

My LQS only has quality fabric - have never seen or felt an inferior piece there. So I never understand it when poeple say their LQS has lesser quality than the boxes - unless their LQS buys seconds.

I would much rather support my LQS than buy fabrics that aren't as nice from JoAnn's and other places.

This is a response from Robert Kaufman concerning Kona Cottons. I'm am going to include a link, please please go read this ANYONE CONCERNED about the differences they are complaining about. If you send in a small swatch of the fabric you are noticing a difference in, they will analyse it and for your trouble they will send you a little something something. Hope this helps!

http://www.swatchandstitch.com/all-a...na-cotton.html

I am more interested in color and pattern. I find it very difficult to make the types of quilts I like with just Joanns. Occasionally I will find a coordinating color or print to use but not as often as an LQS.

Joanns and Hobby Lobby can carry excellent fabric but will never substitute for a LQS when it comes to having the variety for design and the deep wonderful saturated colors they can buy.

This is coming from someone who loves older "stored in closet" types of fabric from garage sales, etc. I still haunt LQS sales of all kinds for fabric to go with these older scrappy fabrics.

I forgot all about Hobby Lobby. A few months ago a store opened about 20 minutes from my house and I do shop there for fabrics but not as often as I go to Joanns. The quality at HL is very good. I have to say that I love using coupons. I am not poverty sticken by any means but I still like saving money when I shop if easily possible. And to print out a few coupons to use at Joanns or Hobby Lobby is easy to do!

Quote Originally Posted by JEM2012 View Post
    Joanne has had nicer things lately! They carry some of the kona solids, and their "premium" lines tend to be much better quality than I've seen there previously. They also regularly have 50% off sales on the premimum fabrics, so if you go when they're on sale, and add in coupons, the prices are much more reasonable than my LQS!

My only gripe is that they never put the "regular" and "premium" fabrics on sale at the same time, and I always end up with a mix of both, so I pay top dollar for some and not others. I wish they'd just have "all quilt fabric on sale" sometimes!!
    When they only put certain fabrics on sale, they know you will probably need something else (not on sale) to coordinate with the "on sale" items. Marketing strategic #1.

Our JoAnns is mixing much better quality amongst the schlock and pricing it accordingly. It's interesting to see, but I won't buy it when I can support my LQS for fabric at the same price. If I want the luxury of an LQS, I have to be responsible for keeping them in business.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JEM2012 View Post

They have to get you back in the store somehow. If you did everything in one trip, you wouldn't be back next week to get the other stuff you need. They'll do all they can to keep you coming back.

Blog Entries
    Hummm... I will have to check them out again. I pretty much wrote them off awhile back, when you could almost see thru 2 layers of fabrics. The quality got pretty horrible for awhile. I am a fabric dyer, and have always used JoAnn's sateen solids for that. This last batch that I got there the quality was such poor, that I have not done any dying since. The fabric weave was much looser and you could see it on the selveges. The way they market those blasted coupons, where you can't use them because they put things on sale for a small discount irritates me, so I have kept myself away from them as much as I can.

We are fortunate enough to that a great quilt shop that offers all fabrics at $9 a yard, they have beautiful quilt shop quality fabrics. I can't say I have seen sub-standard fabrics there as of yet. So that's where my $$$$ go. We also have a new Wal Mart with a beautiful fabric department. The prices for good fabric is not all that low, but they have a lot of really nice fabrics. The old store a few miles away has all junk. Have to wonder why such a big difference in quality??

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast