Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone notice that Joann's fabrics are better quality than LQS? >

Anyone notice that Joann's fabrics are better quality than LQS?

Anyone notice that Joann's fabrics are better quality than LQS?

Old 08-13-2012, 06:46 AM

It just goes to show you have to look carefully at what you buy, no matter where you buy it. I was at Joann's yesterday looking at the clearance bin (not the remnants, but the stuff marked down with red tags, and on the wall, not on the shelves). There were some fat quarters and jelly rolls and such. Some of it was so poor quality that just looking at it I could see the holes between weave of the threads. Yet also, in the same bin but from another company, was some really nice quality fabric. All priced the same.

I find I just have to shop carefully, and fortunately I love to shop for fabric...
Old 08-13-2012, 07:08 AM

All fabric is now imported. The thin fabric is really a better fabric because it doesn't need all the sizing to keep it together. I have found that Jo-anns is the last place I purchase fabric even with a coupon. It use to be great, but since it went into competition with the LQS they have gone down hill. I would rather pick up my non LQS fabric at Wal-Mart. I also have access to 2 fabric stores that have great prices on the better fabrics so I am spoiled....
Old 08-13-2012, 07:18 AM

I only have one LQS and Joanns. Our Walmarts stopped selling fabric. I am so thankful that I can shop at Joanns since they have the biggest and best selection in my area.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by willferg View Post
It just goes to show you have to look carefully at what you buy, no matter where you buy it. I was at Joann's yesterday looking at the clearance bin (not the remnants, but the stuff marked down with red tags, and on the wall, not on the shelves). There were some fat quarters and jelly rolls and such. Some of it was so poor quality that just looking at it I could see the holes between weave of the threads. Yet also, in the same bin but from another company, was some really nice quality fabric. All priced the same.

I find I just have to shop carefully, and fortunately I love to shop for fabric...
True that! It sounds like the quality of fabric is really variable from store to store (be it Wal-Mart or Joann's). I can find some nice fabrics at either store, but I can also find some not so nice fabric. By the same token, I have also found some fabric at my LQS that I wasn't wild about the quality. I love looking at fabric (and feeling it) - and I love looking for a bargain. There are so many different venues (be it a local store or online) that I can usually find what I want for a price I am reasonably happy with!
Old 08-13-2012, 12:48 PM

I don't think for one minute that JoAnn's has better fabric that a quilt shop or Hobby Lobby. In fact, In my opinion, I think their quality of fabric has gone from not too bad to awful. When you can see your hand through a piece of material you're NOT getting quality. Their prices have increased considerably, but their quality certainly hasn't followed suit by any stretch of the imagination! Not only that, but do they ever hire anyone who knows a thing about sewing anymore? I think that since the new owners have taken over the whole store has gone down the drain.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:56 PM
Power Poster

not around here! the joannes fab's are a couple steps below wally worlds-& costs a couple bucks more a yard than the lqs-
so,
lucky you to have one that is (improving)
Old 08-13-2012, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by oh munner View Post
I don't think for one minute that JoAnn's has better fabric that a quilt shop or Hobby Lobby. In fact, In my opinion, I think their quality of fabric has gone from not too bad to awful. When you can see your hand through a piece of material you're NOT getting quality. Their prices have increased considerably, but their quality certainly hasn't followed suit by any stretch of the imagination! Not only that, but do they ever hire anyone who knows a thing about sewing anymore? I think that since the new owners have taken over the whole store has gone down the drain.
Ditto here. And their pricing strategy leads you to believe that you are getting a bargain - price it at 12.99, saturate the market with 50% off coupons, you pay $6 something for fabric that is worth about 2.99/yd, like it used to be.

My LQS only has quality fabric - have never seen or felt an inferior piece there. So I never understand it when poeple say their LQS has lesser quality than the boxes - unless their LQS buys seconds.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:55 PM

I would much rather support my LQS than buy fabrics that aren't as nice from JoAnn's and other places.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:58 PM

This is a response from Robert Kaufman concerning Kona Cottons. I'm am going to include a link, please please go read this ANYONE CONCERNED about the differences they are complaining about. If you send in a small swatch of the fabric you are noticing a difference in, they will analyse it and for your trouble they will send you a little something something. Hope this helps!

http://www.swatchandstitch.com/all-a...na-cotton.html
Old 08-14-2012, 02:45 AM

I am more interested in color and pattern. I find it very difficult to make the types of quilts I like with just Joanns. Occasionally I will find a coordinating color or print to use but not as often as an LQS.

Joanns and Hobby Lobby can carry excellent fabric but will never substitute for a LQS when it comes to having the variety for design and the deep wonderful saturated colors they can buy.

This is coming from someone who loves older "stored in closet" types of fabric from garage sales, etc. I still haunt LQS sales of all kinds for fabric to go with these older scrappy fabrics.