Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Argument over sewing over pins! >
  • Argument over sewing over pins!

• Argument over sewing over pins!

Old 09-24-2012, 03:16 PM
    Power Poster

I have been doing some curved piecing lately and lots of pins get involved.

Sewing real slow is my only tip to help the missed pin syndrome. SEW SLOW and save pins, machines and sanity!
    Old 09-24-2012, 03:23 PM

I have been sewing over pins for years without a problem. As long as you let the machine do the feeding of the fabric ad don't pull or push the fabric things are fine. When you pull or push is when you break needles. If the needle hits the edge of the pin it just moves it out of the way.
    Old 09-24-2012, 03:53 PM

My reply would be my mom sewed over pins all the time and spent at least $150.00 and more a year for machine repairs. I never sew over pins and have not had to have a machine repaired only cleaned. I also sewed a lot more than she did. You want to pay for machine repairs which are much more costly now, go ahead sew over those pins your service technician will appreciate your business. Me I can't afford those repairs and can not stand to be with out a machine, so I take care of what I have.
    Old 09-24-2012, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by susie-susie-susie
    All the needles I have are the right ones for all 3 of my machines. I used to sew over pins, but the damage to the machine isn't worth it. One problem with sewing over pins is sometimes the needle isn't broken just bent. That could upset the timing on your machine. I have had the needle and the pin break and go into the hole in the sole plate. Lucky not to have any damage but a terrible time getting the pieces out. Not worth it, IMHO.
    Sue
    Yes I agree. well said.
    Old 09-24-2012, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie
    I guess it never occurred to me to pin any way BUT horizontally. And I put my pins in from the right to the left. My sis in law does the opposite, and it drives me crazy to sew something she's pinned.
    Guess I should sew with your SIL because I pin from left to right and I try to leave more than 1/4" from the end of my pin so my needle can't sew over them if I forget to pull the pins out before I get there. I have broken pins and needles by sewing over them. I don't go really slow when I piece and I do use lots of pins...never hurt my machine or myself, but the "THUNK" of the needle hitting the pin was a wake-up call for sure!! I really try not to sew over pins...I would rather spend my money on material and tools and not have to spend a chunk to repair/replace my sewing machine.
    Old 09-24-2012, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
    I use very long (and thin) pins so I can insert them so the tip of the pin falls short of where the needle will hit. That said, sometimes I insert one a bit too far and it's far enough that the needle may glance off of it. I've never broken a pin or needle from hitting a pin.

On the Sally Collins video she sews over pins all the time and said that machine speed is the difference between sewing "over" pins and breaking/bending them. I noticed she uses the same long thin pins I use.

So possibly just slowing the machine down is the answer, coupled with very thin pins.

I typically run my machine at a fairly slow speed unless I'm FMQ'ing. I think that is a product from my 7th grade Home Ed teacher yelling "quit racing those machines!!".
    I purchased special patch work pins just so I could so over them and follow this method.
    Old 09-24-2012, 09:45 PM

When I took Home Ec. It was taught that we did sew over pins. As the needle would slide right over. Well many needles later and well...
    Old 09-24-2012, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    My answer is don't worry about what other people do. It makes life ever so much calmer and more pleasant.

Deep down in my heart, I know that. But I forget sometimes. Thanks for the reminder!
    Old 09-25-2012, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by Farm Quilter
    Guess I should sew with your SIL because I pin from left to right and I try to leave more than 1/4" from the end of my pin so my needle can't sew over them if I forget to pull the pins out before I get there. I have broken pins and needles by sewing over them. I don't go really slow when I piece and I do use lots of pins...never hurt my machine or myself, but the "THUNK" of the needle hitting the pin was a wake-up call for sure!! I really try not to sew over pins...I would rather spend my money on material and tools and not have to spend a chunk to repair/replace my sewing machine.
    For me, it just feels sooooooooo awkward to pull pins from the left. Old habits die hard.
    Old 09-25-2012, 04:33 AM

I sewed over pins for probably 45 yrs. I continued this practice until I bought a computerized machine which warned about doing this and why. I had to retrain myself to mostly NOT using pins unless it was absolutely necessary in which case I just sewed slowly and cautiously Have never had my machine in a shop or damaged. That said, I now have the Brother PQ1500S and it occurred to me the other day that this machine is strictly for piecing and quilting, no computer chip here, so I am allowing myself to use pins again, not racing along and taking them out as I come to them and if necessary, yes, sewing over them. As stated by others, if you use very thin quilting pins and go slowly, there is no reason NOT to use pins.