Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When you give a quilt away. >

When you give a quilt away.

When you give a quilt away.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:57 AM

I've made smaller quilts for several friends and they love them! They know I quilt and also know the amount of time, blood, sweat, tears and love that go into making one. I have the person in mind before I ever pick out the fabric so it's truly made especially for them.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:25 AM

Just remember that once you give a quilt you have to let it go - others may not realize the cost or the time that goes into your creation - a friend gave a beautiful applique quilt to someone who used it for the dog to lay on!
Old 02-18-2013, 05:24 PM

Sometimes when I am making a quilt, it tells me where it is going...to whom.....I really love to surprise someone who is not expecting anything......and I have never had anyone act like they were at all unhappy. The only ones I have given and then never seen being used are the ones I have made for my 2 grandbabies. Their mom is definitly a daughter-in-law who has been very difficult to know. She always says thank you with a smile, but then the quilts always seem to disappear ???????I surprised her mom with one and she seemed pleased about that. The most recently given surprise was to a long time friend (from High School,zillion years ago)who has just lost her hubby on many years. It was a simple one,done all in a variety of yellow prints..... I thought of it as SUNSHINE for her; she was so pleased.............recently I surprised another long time friend with one done all in pink prints and it sure made her day....thank goodness I gave it to her asap,as she died about 2 months later,following surgery.....just follow your heart and do what it seems you need to do for those you love.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:54 PM

Maybe she was taken aback because she knows how much work and love you put into it.

In any case, she thinks enough of you to display it when you're around, and that's what's really important!
Old 02-18-2013, 08:41 PM

My sister-in-law would rather have a cheap one from a dept. store that is made in China, so she can change her colors often. She wants one to just throw in the washer numerous times, and it is ok if it wears out.

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose View Post
If I want to give one to a special person, I always ask first if they like quilts because quilts aren't for everyone. If that person seems happy to have one, then I try to cater the pattern and colors to the person and their likes, where it will be used, etc. I've given quilts before to people who don't care for them...to later find them in car trunks, garage floors and dog beds. Yes, I am choosy about who gets one and I would way rather just give one, then to make one for pay.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:54 AM

This sounds so selfish, but I make quilts that I "love", if someone sees a quilt on my wall and expresses a special interest, or asks for it, then I give it to them. Quilting is my hobby, not my job, so I don't like to make quilts to a special order. I really have to be in the mood to do that and I'm not usually very happy when I work that way. Most of my quilts go to family and close friends, so if they want one they ask.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:17 PM

I have made many quilted items (quilts, table runners, casserole carriers, etc) and given them as gifts. Most of the time they open them with a "oh". But then there is the rare one that gets all excited about the thing and can't say enough about it. And I know that if you give a gift, then its out of your hands. But I have come to the conclusion that it is almost better just to make things for those who ask for them or about them so you know they are interested. I love making it for those who really appreciated them and use them--but it hurts when they are appreciated and all the hours it took to do them, to say nothing of the expense of it. Well, that's my thoughts...
Old 02-19-2013, 05:15 PM

Honestly, I surprise people...but only people I know extremely well. For example my grandparents all got photo quilts of the grandchildren this year- who wouldn't love that! Otherwise I look for people that are going through a hard time because they know I do this out of love. Or if someone says I would love a quilt like ____________ someday, then I try and make one just to surprise them!
Old 02-19-2013, 08:53 PM

Recently we planned a coworkers baby shower. She had only worked with us a little over a year. I am sure our work shower was one of several she had. I guess I was just excited to make a baby quilt,I bought really nice fabric,batting,etc. spent hours piecing and quilting. She opened it said how cute and reached for another gift. No more mention of quilt. Ok,I know my pride was crushed and I should've known better. I did learn a valuable lesson not to waste my time and money quilting for someone I didn't know too well. Later this year I made many flannel, Receiving blankets for nieces expecting and they were thrilled. I now know who I should've made the quilt for. Lesson learned.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:49 AM

I haven't made a ton of quilts but I have given a few of them away. I like to make them for baby shower gifts because new moms can always use quilts (besides keeping a baby warm on a cold day they are also good for wall hangings or play mats). I find that most people are pleased to receive a quilt for that kind of an event, though I don't know if I would make one for, say, a birthday or Christmas gift without checking first to see if the recipient would like something like that.

The quilt I just finished is going to be a surprise gift but it's for someone who has been very admiring of other quilts I've done so I'm pretty sure she'll like it. I do think it's a gamble in a lot of cases to make a quilt as a surprise though unless you know the person and his/her tastes really well before you start. It's not like blowing $20 on something you bought at Target that the person ends up not liking--you put a lot of hours and love and care into a quilt and it can be really heartbreaking if it isn't appreciated.

That said the very first quilt I made was for my daughter, who was about 4 at the time. She told me she wanted "purple ponies." So I looked everywhere for purple pony fabric which no one seemed to have at the time, and I finally found some on eBay and ordered it. Being my very first quilt I made a lot of mistakes, didn't bind the thing properly and didn't tie it in enough places and ended up having to rip it apart and redo it all and then when I was finally finished like a year later I gave it to my daughter, and she said "No, Mom, I wanted purple *unicorns*." So sometimes you just can't win.