Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When you give a quilt away. >

When you give a quilt away.

When you give a quilt away.

Old 02-17-2013, 06:00 PM

I love giving mine as surprises. I know how it feels because last year I received a king size quilt from a quilting friend and it was a total surprise. right now I am making two quilts for two high school friends as milestones birthday are coming up for us this year.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:08 PM

I've done it both ways. One girl (gym instructor) didn't say much at first but when she read the label and realized it was for her she was very happy. I have had people cry tears of happiness with both ways too. I love watching the kids with theirs. One grandson put his around his shoulders and was using it like a king's robes. His father said "get it off the floor" but I said "leave him be, I'd much rather see it worn with love. If he wears it out I'll make him another". That's opposed to someone letting the dog use it. If the dog needs a quilt just ask and I'll make one for him/her too.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Zyngawf View Post
Do you ask if someone would like one or do you surprise people? To me it seems like great big thing to give someone and a risk to surprise someone with. How often to you give them away in either of these ways? As a new quilter I already can tell I am in danger of being over run with these because I love making them.
I don't do big quilts, just personal sized (usually 45-54"wide and about 72" long.) But for the most part I give them to our church members who are having a hard time with medical problems------not necessarily terminal, but really serious surgeries or serious chronic diseases. Just finished up sewing together a rag quilt for a great guy with cancer. Still need to rag it out.

One gal is 47 and has about reached her limit on cystic fibrous. She's awaiting a lung transplant----------she got at quilt a good while back. And others who've had a hard time get throw quilts. I've lost count, in fact, I'd probably have a hard time remembering who all got quilts.

I do make an educated guess as to what colors would suit this person or that. So far, everyone has appreciated what they got. But these are "dragging around" quilts, not bed quilts that ought to at least look good in a room.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by maminstl View Post
I am very selfish in my hobbies - I make exactly what I want to make, and if I think someone would like it, I give it away. I do often have people in mind, and will work on something I think they would like - but only if I like it too! I don't do requests, as pressure to get something done kind of saps the fun out of it.
I hadn't thought about it, but I feel the same. I do what makes me happy. Someone always benefits from it. Family at times, but often church members in need.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:37 AM

I want to make one for my mom and dad each of my three children and mother in lawand other family members, I want them to have something made just for them that they can cherish and pass down through the years. But yes the surprise is when they will get their quilt. My love for quilting is kinda hard to hide so it will only be a matter of time!
Old 02-18-2013, 03:55 AM
Power Poster

I give them as gifts. Usually it is to someone in the family who has said, "I would love to have a quilt to snuggle up in" or something like that. I usually give a note with each quilt that says, "This is a quilt made just for you. It has approximately 45 hours of love sewn into it. This is the best way to care for it." Then I give washing instructions. But I do give them to be used.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:04 AM

I make most of my quilts for charity giving. I try to have a "stash" of quilts on hand when things like Hurricane Sandy come along. I have sent many to owlvamp for her charities. But I have made several for baby gifts. In that case, I ask them if they have a theme and a favorite color. One girl wanted a circus theme and primary colors, so that's what she got, but made all in flannel. Another wanted sun, moon, stars in dark blue. It is fun doing them that way. I have also made quilts for my grandkids, and always ask them what color or theme they want. Sometimes I take them shopping to pick out the fabric. Certain family members will never get a quilt from me, because they don't appreciate the work that goes into it, and one is just too picky. So charity wins every time. I also have a bed I call my "princess and the pea" bed, because it is layered with my favorite quilts that I can't give away. I rotate them occasionally and just go in that room and admire my work.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:02 AM

There are so many types of quilts now. I always ask for a color theme and whether they prefer traditional or more modern if I don't know. I would like to think that our recipients would be grateful but many don't realize the work, time, love and care that goes into quilts. As mentioned in some of the other replies there are endless charities that are in need of our quilts. Crisis pregnancy center, quilts of valor, children's homes and also animal rescue clubs.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:19 AM
QM
Power Poster

You have a lot of time in a quilt. It is worth finding out if it will be welcomed. For example, I just sent word to my niece that I would make her a baby quilt using her choice of colors/themes. If you are fairly sure, a surprise is great. I surprised 5 close friends with cancers. 3 were intended as final gifts as the diagnosis came very late. The other 2 are still going strong and felt that the quilts helped them.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:38 AM

Dina, I'm with you. I always make sure that the quilt is wanted and will be cared for. I too involve the recepient in the decisions reguarding design and color. Sometimes I get input in actual fabrics. I made a quilt for a loved one once and found it being used on the floor as a tent for the kids and dogs to play on. The corner was chewed. Since then I have made it a point when giving a quilt to tell the recepient that I'm aware that it cannot be returned to a store and so I will be pleased if they don't really care for it, to feel free to sell it and buy something they do like. I tell them specifically how much money I would charge if I were selling it so they can set a fair price. I too belive that quilts are not for everyone and that most people have no idea the actual cash value of a handmade quilt. If they did we wouldn't have so many casual acquaintinces ask us to make them a quilt if they buy the fabrics.