Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When you give a quilt away. >

When you give a quilt away.

When you give a quilt away.

Old 02-17-2013, 06:08 AM

I like to surprise with quilts.If I know the person's tastes, it's easy to decide what to give. Sometimes it takes a little digging on my part to figire out what they would like.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:25 AM

I quilt for my own enjoyment and since I make bed size quilts plus have a UFO habit I don't finish many. My grown son really fell in love with one of the quilts I was working on so I gave it to him. Now my two grown daughters are always talking about how he is the only one that has received a quilt and how he was always my favorite. (Not true.) The only reason I havn't given them quilts is that I don't want to burden them if they really don't care for quilts. Now the path is wide open to give mine to those I love. Life is good.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:25 AM

I am so blessed with a large family and they all seem to enjoy quilts so they get new ones when I decide it is their turn. I know that they are used in every home I have visited so that is such a blessing to me . Nothing else I could do would have been as useful or as long lasting a gift. I know quilts are not for everyone but have always felt that most of my family care very much for them. So I am still making quilts, and loving it.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:33 AM

I make them mostly for family and do not tell them ahead of time...most of the time. I love doing theme quilts and try to make them one that they have interest in. If I do not do a theme I do one in the colors of there home interior. So far they all seem well recieved. I figure if they do donate them its ok, figured many people donate quilts so if they decide in a few years its not for them someone else can enjoy and I will make them another..but so far that has not happened.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:38 AM
Power Poster

I like to surprise people, especially with baby quilts, as it's hard not to come up with fabrics and colors that are suitable for babies. However, when my son and his wife were expecting their first baby, I came up with what I thought would be a good fabric choice, but Jen had something different in mind, so I let them buy the fabric, then I took it from there. With the large floral fabric she chose, I opted to cut 10" squares, with sashing and cornerstones, then used the striped fabric for the first border. I also made a set of 2 curtains for the nursery and Jen was very excited. When my daughter's best friend was graduating from veterinary school, and was planning to be a large animal vet., I picked some cow fabric that my sister had given me and it was just enough to make a lap quilt and since Janna is very petite, it was almost like giving her a twin-size quilt. She was very excited when she got the quilt as it was unexpected and a surprise, which she loved and that made me happy to have made her happy.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:45 AM

For my DH quilt- I let him pick out the material.

I only give to people who appreciate quilts.

To my sister who does not like quilts and thinks they are a waste of time- SHE WILL NEVER HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO USE ONE OF MY QUILTS!!!!!
Old 02-17-2013, 06:50 AM

Some people ask me to make them. All depends on how close to them I am whether or not I'll do it. IF I make one in that instance, I'll make it clear that they pay for all materials. My time will not be compensated. That's MY gift to them as I cherish them as a friend. If it feels as though someone is taking advantage of that friendship, I'll have them make it with me. I don't do a stitch unless they're with me and assisting in some way. I make them take all the material home with them when we're finished for the night. I've got enough of my own stuff here. I don't need their's here too. They usually don't like this, as it's an inconvenience for them, but I don't care.

I do surprise people every once in a while, if they mean that much to me. They seem to like them and will occasionally tell me a story that involves the quilt in some way months and years after it was given. Which is nice.

I prefer to give quilts as gifts for newborn babies. I will not make them in baby designs though. I don't want it to become hidden as they age due to the fact that it looks baby-ish. I make them in mom and dad's fav colors or what the nursery colors will be, but with an adult design. Hopefully it will age with the child then. If anyone hasn't liked them, they haven't told me yet. So, I'll keep making them!
Old 02-17-2013, 06:57 AM

i started quilting a few year ago and have mostly made baby quilts for friends or shower gifts. the only other quiltsi have done are for people who have lost a loved one. i have made a good dozen of those. i don't usually ask. i just ake. unless i am making a bedi gg for a baby.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:59 AM

I am very picky about who gets my quilts. I know many on this Board disagree but as someone I knew used to say "Well, that's why they have horse racing !". Everyone has an opinion. Each person I have given a quilt to has loved them and I do try to pick the colors or design that will be perfect for them. I spend a great deal of time, money and thought on my quilts so I want the person who is receiving them to like them. I would be heartbroken to find my quilts used as a dog bed. I will not even give a charity quilt unless it is just as cute as can be. I have seen many ugly quilts in my life but they aren't mine. So, I do not generally surprise anyone with a quilt, I make sure they want one.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:27 AM

I make quilts for people I love just because I love to quilt and I love the person. Fabrics and/or patterns "speak" to me and tell me who they are for. Sometimes while I'm making the quilt a poem about that person writes itself in my head, and that poem becomes the label. My quilts are a personal connection between me and the recipient, and I've never had anyone reject the finished item. I made a couple of quickie quilts for a neighbor who asked for them, but I didn't enjoy the process so I won't do that again. Also, I give the quilt at a time when it is "just because", and that goes along with the whole "I love you" thing.

I never ask the person first because then it becomes an obligation, and that takes pleasure out of the giving.

Last edited by ShirlinAZ; 02-17-2013 at 07:29 AM.