Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Denim Quilt? >

Denim Quilt?

Denim Quilt?

Old 04-18-2013, 01:38 PM

What a super group of denim quits wonderful ideas.. thanks so much for the link.
judy
Old 04-18-2013, 02:10 PM
Power Poster

I have one SIL who quilts and she has made several one patch denim quilts, often using pockets from the jeans as well as the remaining fabric from her children's jeans. She used a flannel backing and tied them. I can say from experience that these are very warm quilts, although somewhat heavy. When one of my brothers passed away, she helped my other SIL to make quilts for all 4 of their children from my brothers denim clothing so that they each would have something from their father. I thought it was a very nice thought and so did my niece and nephews.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:03 PM

I did a denim quilt in the "rag"/exposed seam style.
I backed 8" squares with lightweight fleece (alternating red and blue) then stitched the two together with a large "x" diagonally, corner to corner. The blocks were then stitched together with exposed seams. I didn't have to further tie or quilt blocks.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Patty55 View Post
I have always wanted to make a denim quilt. Simple pattern probably not much in the way of fill because it will already be heavy and bulky because it's denim. I want it for my bed because I have dogs and it should hold up well and be very washable. You never see denim quilts. Is this possible? Any ideas or do's and don'ts?

Thanks!
DEnim is a perfect candidate for a rag quilt backed only with your choice of flannel
Old 04-18-2013, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Carol in WI View Post
I just completed a "stained glass denim quilt" for my grandson's graduation gift. If I can figure out how to post a picture of it now......

This is just the top, but I do want to have it quilted by my friend's LA, using a light weight flannel for the backing.

Love it. congrats
Old 04-18-2013, 04:44 PM

I actually just finished making a queen size one--made entirely on my serger! It is a series of squares and 4 patch of various blues from old jeans and I just serged it. Back and front are denim and no batting. It is heavy but I wanted for the spring/summer/fall in our trailer. I made matching pillow shams as well. Pretty straight forward actually. I followed a you tube video on how to make a serger quilt and just substituted the denim.
Good luck.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:50 PM

I made a denim quilt for my youngest son. Here is the post! http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...lt-t71602.html

I broke a couple needles, be careful for the studs on the pockets.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:03 PM

Very nice, and what a great young man!
Old 04-18-2013, 05:04 PM

I made a king size denim circle quilt, the faux cathedral kind. I made the mistake of using batting. It is beautiful, but too heavy to use. You have to lift it up to turn over underneath it in the bed. I have used it for a couple of soccer games in the snow. It was very warm, but also extremely heavy.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:04 PM

I just made 2 memory rag denim throws for a lady. I used 6 inch blocks and flannel backing and no batting. The seams are on the front and will ravel as it is washed for additional softness. The back is smooth because the seams are on the front. These were made from denim overhauls from her FIL who had passed away. We used a few flannel shirts in the flannel backing fabric. I washed at a public launder mat because I did not want the lint to mess up my home drain.