Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Guilds and Charity Quilts >

Quilting Guilds and Charity Quilts

Quilting Guilds and Charity Quilts

Old 09-18-2013, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by cathyvv View Post
What do you mean by "found out that if there was blood involved the quilts were discarded."

I can't imagine that anyone would donate a quilt that had obvious blood stains. (I could be wrong about that.) And why discarded? They ought to just give them back.

Anything with blood on it is a biohazard and needs to be disposed of according to strict rules.
Old 09-18-2013, 02:32 PM
Power Poster

I would be upset too. I don't currently belong to a guild, but my former guild had a specific officer who dealt with the delivery of charity quilts to kids who were in the hospital for extended stays. A house had been built through donations adjacent to the hospital where family members could stay for a minimum charge while their child was ill and in the hospital, and sometimes a quilt was given to a sibling, but that's it.
Old 09-18-2013, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by institches33 View Post
We had the same thing happen where the personnel where helping themselves before distributing the quilts. I was so disappointed!
Our guild was also giving them to the fire dept. for children going to the hospital, but found out that if there was blood involved the quilts were discarded.
To Kathy W: The blood would come from the injured person if they were in an accident. They have strict rules about that. I suppose that when the fire department is involved, there is high risk of some bloody injury. Could you give the quilt to the child after they are in the hospital recovering?

Last edited by maviskw; 09-18-2013 at 02:45 PM.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:33 PM

We had that happen. tornado hit small town & quild made quilts. Lady in charge didn't give to those that they were inteded & she gave some 2 quilts. so I monitor my donations. MY daughter worked with homeless in large city. I asked her about giving quilts. She advised against it as they just get up & walk away & leaves their things. Just a tho't.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:26 PM

I've made charity quilts for years. Sometimes I make them with my fabric, and sometimes with fabric that has been donated. Other quilters who work with me from time to time use a combination of my fabrics, donated fabrics, and their fabrics. From the start, we had a rule that if you made a quilt that you liked so much you just had to keep it, you could do so provided that you made a quilt at least that big from your own fabric to replace it. In 18 years, there have been about five quilts out of 426 that have been kept and replaced.

Regarding the matter of where to donate, we usually donate to homeless shelters or kids' shelters. But because we had staff take some quilts for their own use, we have a policy that we personally deliver the quilts to the recipients, and the quilts are theirs to take with them when they leave. The people choose their own quilts and, since we take a couple extra quilts, everyone gets a choice. If a shelter will not let us meet with the residents, we don't donate there. Generally, it is okay with shelters.

These two rules have helped greatly with getting donations to the intended recipients.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:28 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
These incidents would have absolutely infuriated me, and I would have raised holy H-E-double-hockey-sticks. These people are supposed to be HELPING those less fortunate, not STEALING from them. Shame on them, and may the bird of paradise fly up their nose. And lay a few eggs. Ha.
I felt the same way, reading this thread. It makes me so mad! Only I see it as theft from those who donate the quilts, rather than those who would receive.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
Right after I joined my guild, the group made over 50 quilts for the local Red Cross to give out as needed. A few months later a guild member walked in with a armload of the same quilts. She found them for sale at Goodwill. The guild President contacted the local office and was told the office had no storage space to keep such items and suggested we give money in the future. I know for a fact our guild members do not contribute to Red Cross now and probably never.

What happened to common decency? The person making that decision ought to have called your guild and returned them.

On second thought, why were they being stored? If they were given for people in need, they should have been given to people in need. The next morning if not that evening.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Leonita View Post
We had that happen. tornado hit small town & quild made quilts. Lady in charge didn't give to those that they were inteded & she gave some 2 quilts. so I monitor my donations. MY daughter worked with homeless in large city. I asked her about giving quilts. She advised against it as they just get up & walk away & leaves their things. Just a tho't.
the way I see it, there is no need to punish some homeless people because some are careless with their belongings.