Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Guilds and Charity Quilts >

Quilting Guilds and Charity Quilts

Quilting Guilds and Charity Quilts

Old 09-16-2013, 02:25 PM

Default Quilting Guilds and Charity Quilts

Does your quilting guild make charity quilts? If so, would you be bothered if the person in charge of distributing the quilts (without consulting anyone) gave some of them to people who were definitely not needy? How do you determine where your charity quilts go?
Old 09-16-2013, 02:29 PM

Yes, I would be upset! My guild has set organizations that get our charity quilts. I don't think one person should decide who gets anothers work.
Old 09-16-2013, 02:33 PM

That happened to me just once,made a quilt to be donated, and one of the ladies liked it so well she kept it.
Old 09-16-2013, 02:39 PM

A committee should be involved. Shame on that guild! If it happened to me, it would be the last quilt donation on behalf of the guild.
sandy
Old 09-16-2013, 02:39 PM

if they didn't go to a guild designated charity, and they didn't pay you for them, that's stealing.

Last edited by DebraK; 09-16-2013 at 02:43 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 02:43 PM

I'm not in a guild (I'd love to be). However, yes I would be not happy if one of my quilts was 'donated' to someone other than whom I deemed appropriate. You have the right to be cranky about it.

Occasionally I make small quilts for newborns at my local hospital. I give them to different special care nursery nurses that I see when at work. From there, it is up to them to distribute the quilt. From what I hear they are super picky about who the recipient is. Which is nice to hear. It may be a newborn that they've bonded with, or a mom or dad they bonded with. It may not be the sickest newborn, but one that is special to them for whatever reason.

Speaking of this. I probably should get off my butt and make another for them. Usually I make one a season, but I'm a little behind!
Old 09-16-2013, 03:01 PM

Our guild found out that personnel at the non profits were taking first pick! The other thing, people have different definitions of "needy". What is needy to one may be different to another. There is usually a volunteer director in towns that can make recommendation of worthy organizations..
Old 09-16-2013, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Sandra-P View Post
Does your quilting guild make charity quilts? If so, would you be bothered if the person in charge of distributing the quilts (without consulting anyone) gave some of them to people who were definitely not needy? How do you determine where your charity quilts go?
If I made a quilt to be given to someone in need, I'd be livid and demand that person be fired or released or shown the door.

BUT, are you positive the recipients are not in need? Maybe there's stuff going on with that person that your are not privy to.

I'm selfish, I guess. I give my quilts to those I want to have them. I've more than once given a quilt to an ill or ailing person who could well afford to buy the finest. But my intention is to give friendship------------not something of value.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:15 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
If I made a quilt to be given to someone in need, I'd be livid and demand that person be fired or released or shown the door.

BUT, are you positive the recipients are not in need? Maybe there's stuff going on with that person that your are not privy to.

I'm selfish, I guess. I give my quilts to those I want to have them. I've more than once given a quilt to an ill or ailing person who could well afford to buy the finest. But my intention is to give friendship------------not something of value.
I think the gift of friendship - is something of very high value!
Old 09-16-2013, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
I think the gift of friendship - is something of very high value!

Thank you. Certainly what I've hoped for.