Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Guilds and Charity Quilts >

Quilting Guilds and Charity Quilts

Quilting Guilds and Charity Quilts

Old 09-16-2013, 03:22 PM
Power Poster

our guild gives quilts to specific organizations- mainly we do pediatric quilts which go to our local hospital pediatric floor- the quilts are given to children who have to stay in the hospital for what ever reason- at times we do other donation quilts - it is always discussed, decided on at a meeting- those who want to participate do, and the *group, organization contact person, who ever we are going to present the quilts to are invited to a meeting to be recognized & presented with the gift. nothing is ever 'taken' or given without it being decided by the guild as a whole.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:32 PM
Power Poster

There's a reason why they're called "charity quilts". I would be upset if I knew they were given as gifts to acquaintances who were absolutely not needy but had an impending b-day or such.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:44 PM

Our quilts go to victims of fire or other issues like that. We also do Project Warmth. Right now we have so many quilts to give away that the group will make quilts to sell at the quilt show. No one person does not make that decision.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:54 PM

At the beginning of each year our guild discusses where we would like to make quilts for donation. Hospital units, shelters, nursing homes, etc. During the year have several work shops to make quilts and many people bring in simple or fun patterns for those that cannot come to the quilting sessions. At the end of the year several volunteers will take the quilts to the places we have chosen. Sometimes they just go to families in need. One year a group home was doing an update in all of their 8 rooms. We found out male or female and all the bed sizes were single so made each a new quilt for their room. Were they needy, not really but it was fun to do. Yes I do think any of these things that we do with the guild should be decided by the guild.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:12 PM

The definition of "in need" is not always determined by socio/economic status. It may pertain to emotional need as well.

That having been said, if you donated to a group project, everything should go to the group designated recipients.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:40 PM

It's funny that this topic is right up my alley.. I was given two quilts from a member to give to people that were affected by Sandy. That was a couple of months ago. I had one person in mind, and was having a little trouble trying to figure out who should get the other. I got to talking to a person that came into my office, and I am so glad I held onto the quilt.. It will be my pleasure to give it to the 85 yo woman that is still not back in her house, and is saddened by the idea of rebuilding the house that she has lived in for sixty years. In all probability, she will be spending the rest of her years at her daughters house.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:54 PM

Yes, our guild has set charities that we vote on every year to donate too. Then if a special circumstance arises if possible is voted on at the next meeting. If not the guild board votes on it.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:12 PM
Banned

I used to make quilts for a local Quilts of Valor group until the leader awarded one to her husband who had never served a day in his life and even had the gall to send his name to the national organization as a recipient. She then decided that anyone who had ever served in any capacity had PTSD and should get a quilt. She just wanted to increase her numbers of awarded quilts. As the mother of a disabled Iraq war vet, this really made me angry.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:31 PM

My Guild calls them Giving Quilts. We have a few organizations that we give to each year but also for special reasons, fire, sickness, etc.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:53 PM

The guild that I am part of gives away over 600 quilts a year. All are given to organizations that the guild, or at least the board, has voted on and approved. I love how giving my guild it!!!

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!